Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Oh my sweet Lord, they're making a show about Superman's Grandad now.

THEY ARE MAKING A SHOW ABOUT SUPERMAN'S GRANDAD. DAVID GOYER PRODUCING.

There are already those (like Deniz Desaad, in a solid argument) defending it against the sort of accusations that are inevitably going to be levied against it, and while that doesn't surprise me, I am surprised that they came pretty quickly, in that it implies an immediate instinctive response on anyone's part other than shrieking with laughter, and then just feeling kind of bummed out for awhile.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Goyer probably will write a better superman'd granpa than superman. Especially if he is a douche.

Not interesting for me, if it was at least Jor-el.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Goyer and Syfy make it a pass for me. There's just no way I can imagine it being "good". GOTHAM is terrible, ARROW is bad, CONSTANTINE is abysmal- THE FLASH is the only watchable one out of the bunch and that's not saying much. They should focus on quality over quantity.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-08-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Goyer probably will write a better superman'd granpa than superman. Especially if he is a douche.

Y'know for someone who likes to publicly disparage Superman, you sure do post a lot on his forums. Why talk so much about a character you seem to dislike so much? Weird.

Anyway, "wow" to this news. I have a lot of questions, but time for that later ...

So to recap, here's what is on the Superverse' media slate:

1) BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE movie (2016)
    2) JUSTICE LEAGUE I movie (2017)
    3) JUSTICE LEAGUE II movie (2019)
    4) MAN OF STEEL II movie (20??)
    5) SUPERGIRL tv (2015 - )
    6) KRYPTON tv (2015? - )

Dang it, I feel like we Super-fans are gonna lose a lot of our right to complain about being dissed (but we'll still do it anyway)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

Superman is a douche? The House of El is known for being a prominent and competent family, hell one of them got his son off world when everyone else failed to. They're a selfless bunch, those Els.

soon as I saw scifi I just instinctively thought of re runs of Dune
    Its blatantly obvious that now that WB is moving forward with high profile movies featuring superman you can't have the rights to use that character as you'd like to form a show around him.
    So why not make a krypton series about a bunch of fancy aliens who can't fly or space travel.
    That's like asking to print money

BANNED

Goyer? Nice, maybe there'll be a lot of killing and neck-twisting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman is a douche? The House of El is known for being a prominent and competent family, hell one of them got his son off world when everyone else failed to. They're a selfless bunch, those Els.
    No, I didn't said that. I mean that I watched the da vinci tv series and I thought Goyer did well with a cynical and douche character like leonardo da vinci. So if superman gradpa is a douche, he would write him very well.

Now who knows superman grandpa name? do no consult wikipedias people, a friend told me lol

Why it is not about lois lane before superman? that would be like Gotham that is more about Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Y'know for someone who likes to publicly disparage Superman, you sure do post a lot on his forums. Why talk so much about a character you seem to dislike so much? Weird.

Anyway, "wow" to this news. I have a lot of questions, but time for that later ...

So to recap, here's what is on the Superverse' media slate:

1) BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE movie (2016)
    2) JUSTICE LEAGUE I movie (2017)
    3) JUSTICE LEAGUE II movie (2019)
    4) MAN OF STEEL II movie (20??)
    5) SUPERGIRL tv (2015 - )
    6) KRYPTON tv (2015? - )

Dang it, I feel like we Super-fans are gonna lose a lot of our right to complain about being dissed (but we'll still do it anyway)
    I'm not obligate to like everything with a superman name on it. I watched lois & clark, the movies and 10 seasons of SV.
    I didn't said anything against superman on this thread

Retired

I think there was already a thread about this when it was just an idea. Maybe that can be bumped up. Given the declared bias of this thread, I think I'd like to reply to the other one.

Saying it's about Superman's Granddad is a way of spinning it that I don't think justly gives the proper consideration for the subject. It's about Krypton. What's wrong with that? There have been several comic books about the history of Krypton and the House of El.

It's all in the execution.

BANNED

Wow.... why the need to go ALL the way back to Jor-El's dad? I could easily see a show that follow's jor-el himself as a young adult, working up the ranks, discovering corruption in Krypton and eventually going head to head with Brainiac and maybe even ending the show with the destruction of the planet and Superman's origin.

Also how are they going to create the big budget look of Krypton with a tv show budget? I have a feeling it will suffer if they cut corners on the world building.

Why does it have to be his granddad and why does it have to be on SyFy? Jor-El would have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Goyer? Nice, maybe there'll be a lot of killing and neck-twisting.
    You know there will be and it'll be considered a intelligent and enlightened resolution by intelligent and enlightened people.

I think it sounds like an interesting idea for a series. Here's hoping it's done well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Wow.... why the need to go ALL the way back to Jor-El's dad? I could easily see a show that follow's jor-el himself as a young adult, working up the ranks, discovering corruption in Krypton and eventually going head to head with Brainiac and maybe even ending the show with the destruction of the planet and Superman's origin.
    I guess the further they are from Kal-El's birth, the more creative freedom they have. While they can always find ways to hammer in the Superman lore references, there's an opportunity for less prequelitis suffering than Gotham has had.

Having said that, Goyer's name attached kills all my interest.

EDIT: Also, this Krypton will probably a lot more underwhelming without the movie budget.
    Last edited by Kid A; 12-08-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

To be clear, my argument was only that kneejerk, instinctive cynicism is easy, unproductive, and childish, and that it is very, very played out.

I don't have a lot of interest in this, and won't until I see something concrete and positive. But the existence of this show - especially in the in potentia existence of this show - does not offend me, because I can very easily choose not to watch it, or it may very well turn out to be quite good, or a hundred other possibilities in between. Moreover, I have endless options for new, modern Superman stuff out there in comics, film, prose, back issues and a number of other sources.

I haven't liked a single television show released by Marvel or DC thus far, and very few of the movies, either. And that's totally fine.

Incidentally, the best superhero movie ever made came out his year, and virtually no one is talking about it. That's the real shame. Maybe instead of wasting all that energy complaining about a two sentence logline, or lamenting about what we don't have, we could channel it into things that are more fulfilling, or taking chances on things that might be.

That was my only real point.
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 12-08-2014 at 07:31 PM.