Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Convergence thoughts

I've often wondered how long the dc books will say "new 52" on them. It has been very consistent with every title, but I cannot imagine them keeping it on the books forever.

With the announcement of convergence coming and with futures end and worlds end I have a theory

I think it really is the futures end of new 52.
    Convergence will probably have the new 52 meet the pre 52 and then merge them all together. The books may keep the current numbering but I belive the title "new 52" will be gone since they have merged.

converge
    [ kənˈvərj ]
    verb
    verb: converge · third person present: conv…
    (of several people or things) come together from different directions so as eventually to meet:

I doubt the Convergence title is relevant to anything beyond the actual event itself.

Seriously, people need to get over the fact that the pre-52 isn't coming back. Convergence is just an event that utilises it (amongst a host of many other defunct DCUs). Convergence is your chance, as a fan, to say goodbye to the old continuity well and truly.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I doubt the Convergence title is relevant to anything beyond the actual event itself.

Seriously, people need to get over the fact that the pre-52 isn't coming back. Convergence is just an event that utilises it (amongst a host of many other defunct DCUs). Convergence is your chance, as a fan, to say goodbye to the old continuity well and truly.
    I agree with you mostly, however, if Convergence sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to either see there be a spin off book following the convergence surviviors, or elements of the most popular of these old realities woven into the New 52 in some way, either through retcons or natural story developments.

I also would not be surprised a few of the characters from Convergence will feature prominately in the New 52 going forward. It actually would be the perfect way to bring back in, Say, Donna Troy or Bart Allen as time/universe displaced characters. The last "survivors" of the universes Brainiac/Tellos stole from.

I do think too that after convergence and whatever next summer's event is (CRISIS 2015?), that its time the New 52 blurb finally be removed from the books. It will be 4 years and 40+ issues into the longest running books. Having "New 52" on the books makes it feel like this is still some alternate universe and gives some the impression still that this is just a phase and not the "real" DCU. After all, four years after COIE, we didn't have "The new DCU!" all over the books did we? It was simply Batman, Superman, Action etc. So if this is to be the new permanent universe (until the next reboot somewhere around 2025 or something), it's time DC take that branding off and just say this IS the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I agree with you mostly, however, if Convergence sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to either see there be a spin off book following the convergence surviviors, or elements of the most popular of these old realities woven into the New 52 in some way, either through retcons or natural story developments.

I also would not be surprised a few of the characters from Convergence will feature prominately in the New 52 going forward. It actually would be the perfect way to bring back in, Say, Donna Troy or Bart Allen as time/universe displaced characters. The last "survivors" of the universes Brainiac/Tellos stole from.
    This is basically what Im expecting.

DC is not bringing back the old continuity. They just arent. There's no reason to do it. Its been over three years, the old continuity wasnt selling anyway, there's literally no reason to bring it back wholecloth and they wont, no matter how many fanboys bitch online (we are not representative of the buying populace, but a niche community inside a niche market)

But aspects of the old continuity? Of course they will. That was never really in doubt, or shouldnt have been. We've seen them do this with Zero Hour and One Year Later and Infinite Crisis. Some things will get worked in, through natural story progression or minor, in-title revamp, depending on the details. Bart Allen and Donna Troy might make the jump as part of Convergence's natural storyline (I doubt it, but its an example). The Titans history might get slipped back in during the ambiguous Five Year Gap (or at least something akin to the old history) with the excuse of it always being there, but no one talked about it due to some plot induced "dark secret!". On the other hand, Superboy could get re-worked completely, erased from time, and started over. Who knows?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This is basically what Im expecting.

DC is not bringing back the old continuity. They just arent. There's no reason to do it. Its been over three years, the old continuity wasnt selling anyway, there's literally no reason to bring it back wholecloth and they wont, no matter how many fanboys bitch online (we are not representative of the buying populace, but a niche community inside a niche market)

But aspects of the old continuity? Of course they will. That was never really in doubt, or shouldnt have been. We've seen them do this with Zero Hour and One Year Later and Infinite Crisis. Some things will get worked in, through natural story progression or minor, in-title revamp, depending on the details. Bart Allen and Donna Troy might make the jump as part of Convergence's natural storyline (I doubt it, but its an example). The Titans history might get slipped back in during the ambiguous Five Year Gap (or at least something akin to the old history) with the excuse of it always being there, but no one talked about it due to some plot induced "dark secret!". On the other hand, Superboy could get re-worked completely, erased from time, and started over. Who knows?
    I couldn't have said it any better.

Spectacular Member

I agree with you. I got over it, which is why I no longer buy what is now considered the "main" DCU. Also, while the comic geek in me is excited to see them again in Convergence, the realist in me does not want to see all the characters I used to follow butchered (literally).

My hopes would obviously for the old DCU heroes to get free and escape back to their own hypertime timeline, and have several digital first physical issue bumper style issues for their continuing adventures, such as a Gotham Knights that follows the exploits of the Bat-family, a Speed Force title that follows the Flash family, and a couple of team books to cover more characters etc. But I'm not deluded, I expect none of that. Especially since a lot of those digital first series are ending. No Season 12 of Smallville? WTF. No more animated universe Batman Beyond. WTF. (Likely replaced by main DCNU Beyond from now on). No Dark Knight... No adventures...

The small amount of DC titles I actually bought are now over or ending the beginning of next year, including Vertigo Fables. My LCS actually went out of business a month or so back, and with most of my series ending soon, I've basically resorted to just ordering odd issues from ebay. I was pissed at first as he'd dropped us right in it with zero warning with no time to order stuff from anywhere else, but then a sort of relief set in. I'd been wanting to quite ever since you know when (Sep. 2011), but never really had the guts. A series of digital first physicals of the old post crisis DCU is about the only thing that may get me back to a pull list. With the way they're going with digital firsts, we'll probably see a Young Justice cartoon continuation comic for certain. Probably a MoS Batman prequel comic series. These continuations of other formats are definitely one of DC's plusses as of late, the guy pushing these titles through definitely needs a good pat on the back and a pay rise.

I do enjoy the titles like Dark Knight/Adventures/Sensation, but I crave DC comics in a connected established universe. I miss events and the whole interconnected universe thing. I just can't get into the DCNU.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think CONVERGENCE will be a fun little exercise in nostalgia...to be played with for a few months, then put back on the shelf as a sort of memento.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Convergence is your chance, as a fan, to say goodbye to the old continuity well and truly.
    Until people nostalgic for it get their foot in the door as writers and editors anyway, just like the Silver Age fanboys.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think Convergence is going to be anything more than a two month thing that makes the move easier. I suspect that some of it is actually inventory issues that have been sitting around for awhile or issues that were finished but scrapped for the reboot. I doubt it's going to have much effect on the overall state of the DCU unless one of them turns out to be a huge seller, something I don't really foresee.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think CONVERGENCE will be a fun little exercise in nostalgia...to be played with for a few months, then put back on the shelf as a sort of memento.

Not like this is the first time they've done this, too. They had that DC: Retroactive event a couple years back.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

If future stories can visit the old pre-coie earth 1 jla that has Elongated Man, that might be fun for some of the old readers. Some probably would want to see more future visits to the pre-coie earth 2. Other earth stories maybe can be done once a year like the good old days of annual crisis stories that readers would look forward to every year. If you do crisis stories every month, these crisis stories would become boring.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Not like this is the first time they've done this, too. They had that DC: Retroactive event a couple years back.
    I really enjoyed that event. It was a bit uneven, but overall enjoyable.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    But that's exactly what made the old continuity so confusing for new readers.

Yeah, I think it would be the absolute worst way to bring such characters in. Its too convoluted. I hope that's not the plan. This should, for the vast majority of the characters, be the bow on their lives/stories. Lots will die, some will live. But none who live should actually migrate over to ongoing continuity. For them, don't concretely destroy the bottles in the story if you want to keep that little thread open. Blood Moon is already a planet established to be located outside of time and space anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

But that's exactly what made the old continuity so confusing for new readers.
    No, it wasn't that.

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    I agree with you. I got over it, which is why I no longer buy what is now considered the "main" DCU. Also, while the comic geek in me is excited to see them again in Convergence, the realist in me does not want to see all the characters I used to follow butchered (literally).

My hopes would obviously for the old DCU heroes to get free and escape back to their own hypertime timeline, and have several digital first physical issue bumper style issues for their continuing adventures, such as a Gotham Knights that follows the exploits of the Bat-family, a Speed Force title that follows the Flash family, and a couple of team books to cover more characters etc. But I'm not deluded, I expect none of that. Especially since a lot of those digital first series are ending. No Season 12 of Smallville? WTF. No more animated universe Batman Beyond. WTF. (Likely replaced by main DCNU Beyond from now on). No Dark Knight... No adventures...

The small amount of DC titles I actually bought are now over or ending the beginning of next year, including Vertigo Fables. My LCS actually went out of business a month or so back, and with most of my series ending soon, I've basically resorted to just ordering odd issues from ebay. I was pissed at first as he'd dropped us right in it with zero warning with no time to order stuff from anywhere else, but then a sort of relief set in. I'd been wanting to quite ever since you know when (Sep. 2011), but never really had the guts. A series of digital first physicals of the old post crisis DCU is about the only thing that may get me back to a pull list. With the way they're going with digital firsts, we'll probably see a Young Justice cartoon continuation comic for certain. Probably a MoS Batman prequel comic series. These continuations of other formats are definitely one of DC's plusses as of late, the guy pushing these titles through definitely needs a good pat on the back and a pay rise.

I do enjoy the titles like Dark Knight/Adventures/Sensation, but I crave DC comics in a connected established universe. I miss events and the whole interconnected universe thing. I just can't get into the DCNU.
    a young justice continuation on comics was pitched by the show producers to DC in the past. So I don't think they will ever launch it.

The problem with digital is that the slost are limited, the beyond end to make space to other comics. same for smallville.

It's very unlikely that DC will do anything with the post crisis universe, that is a ego thing.

bad move for DC
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.