Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Invincible Member

While I agree that Steve for the most part was portrayed well in the animated film, I really disliked that hospital scene. It made no since in the broader narrative. I didn't like WW confronting Etta either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I believe Diana's point is pretty simple - although only 'people can make themselves better,' what do you do about the innocent people caught in the middle. Put on a costume and go stop some other costumed nuts, or put on a costume and go rescue and help the people who are dying because some people are incapable of making themselves any better.

It's a damned good point, and though a potentially slippery slope, there's a big difference to me between 'help the victims/feed the starving' and 'I am your god/benevolent dictator.'

In a global society, where do you draw the line?
    When the people don't want help. The people of Khandaq don't like Americans or outsider influence thus it was wrong. Also with the hostage situation, people need something to trigger them wanting to better themselves. Maybe had it continue the people of Khandaq would been motivated to improve their nation. But Superman and Wonder Woman interfered and the cause celeb-re of the new movement was denied.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Steve is no challenge for Diana. At all. He can't hang in her world without getting slaughtered, unless Diana's enemies keep getting PIS'd into irrelevance like Cheetah did in that scene of which you're so fond. He can't influence her in anyway unless she LETS him influence her. He's literally nothing more than "Wonder Woman's arm-candy."
    I do feel that's more than a little belittling

BANNED

I think that interfere in many places can have really bad results on the future. Look how many enemies United states did on the last 30 years

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I believe Diana's point is pretty simple - although only 'people can make themselves better,' what do you do about the innocent people caught in the middle. Put on a costume and go stop some other costumed nuts, or put on a costume and go rescue and help the people who are dying because some people are incapable of making themselves any better.

It's a damned good point, and though a potentially slippery slope, there's a big difference to me between 'help the victims/feed the starving' and 'I am your god/benevolent dictator.'

In a global society, where do you draw the line?
    This is where Roddenberry's Prime Directive comes in. Sort of.

One part of the problem is that the starving are only starving because of greed. There is enough food on the planet, it's just not shared equally. So in order to feed those people, you need to either keep feeding them or change the economic system. For heroes the first seems easy, unless you keep having to deal with super villains. They keep coming up with their schemes and taking up time. In the end the only solution is to take them out. If the justice system doesn't allow for that, well...

You also have to deal with armed resistance. Again, not a big problem for the JL per se but it's hard for even them to police the whole planet 24/7. Ultimately the only way you could do it if you start directly interfering is through Batmans method - fear. Either that or stop war. So let's stop war.

Stopping war takes time. But you have no time and people are dying. Okay, you have the power to MAKE them stop. You can enforce peace, but you can't be everywhere at once.

This still seems like it will work, right? Okay. Superman and the flash now super speed through the United States and protect lives by taking away all the automatic and semi automatic weapons. A lot of folks think that's fantastic. A lot don't. Their opinions don't matter. The law doesn't matter. Your The Justice League.

This is the biggest problem. You bring food but others steal it or take it. You build she.ters and stupid people destroy them. Evil is everywhere and lives are being lost. You have the power. You can make people do the right thing. And if they fight you you can MAKE them stop. And if they won't stop...

Then there's the problem of governments. Those guys can be great unless they get in your way. People may have voted for them but people often get it wrong. You know better. So you mat have to do something about that. Democracy is great in principle but it can get in your way. Lives are at stake. How can you put your principles first? Sorry democracy, there is time for you later. If you are convenient. And so it goes.

Feeding people is easy. Changing the world is harder.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    While I agree that Steve for the most part was portrayed well in the animated film, I really disliked that hospital scene. It made no since in the broader narrative. I didn't like WW confronting Etta either.
    It was a bit awkward, but necessary in terms of the story because it was showing Diana's coming to an understanding of men in general through Steve in particular. She has a line later to Ares about how's she's come to realise he doesn't represent all men, as her mother asserted earlier.n

Also... "maybe I don't think the world is worth saving if you're not in it"... One of the best lines EVER
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I do feel that's more than a little belittling
    Ah, so it's not just me then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It was a bit awkward, but necessary in terms of the story because it was showing Diana's coming to an understanding of men in general through Steve in particular. She has a line later to Ares about how's she's come to realise he doesn't represent all men, as her mother asserted earlier.n

Also... "maybe I don't think the world is worth saving if you're not in it"... One of the best lines EVER
    how to get the girl . Smooth Steve

Invincible Member

Sure and I get why the scene was there narratively, but the actual dialogue was awful. Instead of talking about the achievements of men of peace like Ghandi or Martin Luther or describing great works of art, Steve goes on about opening doors and pulling out chairs as proof men don't oppress women (Wha?). And where does Diana get the idea that all women in America are brainwashed after seeing Etta flirt with Steve for five minutes? It makes no sense. I thought the screenwriter was trying to say something meaningful, but dropped the ball.
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.

I would agree the hospital scene was awkward. I mean, the line works... if Steve and Diana actually knew each other for more than a couple of days. However, that's pretty much the norm for action movie romances, so it's not like this movie's was particularly bad, and more "typically" bad.

Still a pretty good movie, though. Plus, my girlfriend at the time actually wanted to watch it, and she liked it, so it goes on the list as the very short list of DC DTV's I can think of that's decent to watch solo and passable as a date movie.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Never mind. Not worth it.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 12-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I would agree the hospital scene was awkward. I mean, the line works... if Steve and Diana actually knew each other for more than a couple of days. However, that's pretty much the norm for action movie romances, so it's not like this movie's was particularly bad, and more "typically" bad.

Still a pretty good movie, though. Plus, my girlfriend at the time actually wanted to watch it, and she liked it, so it goes on the list as the very short list of DC DTV's I can think of that's decent to watch solo and passable as a date movie.
    Once upon a time abuse of the use of love at first sight, it's not like there's a lot of people complaining at it. Steve had hots for her since the beginning, so it didn't come from nowhere. And steve was a womanizer he know exactly wthat to say to a woman.

If he's saying it as a womanizer, though, then there's no sincerity to it.

And the reason why people don't complain more about it is because, again, underdeveloped and rushed romances in these sort of movies is the norm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If he's saying it as a womanizer, though, then there's no sincerity to it.

And the reason why people don't complain more about it is because, again, underdeveloped and rushed romances in these sort of movies is the norm.
    he seemed pretty sincere.

I think that people like fairy tales love stories.

I figured he was being sincere, too, but that's exactly what makes it weird. Two or three days of knowing her, and already he makes that declaration. Otherwise, the scene's perfectly fine. You just have to suspend your disbelief that people's romantic relationships develop that quickly, though I'd rather not have to suspend it and would prefer if movies just take place over longer duration of time to make it more reasonable.