Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default why does spiderman crack jokes?

why does the wall crawler crack jokes. is it to keep his sanity in check when he's in danger or does it help him build confidence?

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

It distracts his enemies, makes them think he doesn't take them seriously, this then irritates them, and this causes them to slip up.

It's definitely partly because of the above but it also has to do with what you said. As was said in Ultimate Spider-Man: "well I guess it's either [I crack jokes] or I pee my tights".
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider-Man View Post
    It distracts his enemies, makes them think he doesn't take them seriously, this then irritates them, and this causes them to slip up.
    Especially when it's someone stronger than him. To where he/she will make a mistake he can capitalize on.

I think it's mostly a personality thing, some people just naturally have a goofball attitude. The only difference is Peter was bitten by a radioactive spider and wears tights!

When he first started it was about keeping himself in focused after all he was a 15 yr old kid, who was in exceptional situations where he could be killed seriously injured at any given moment. then it became a confidence booster and some might say a bit of arrogance grew out of that. as in ASM #3 where Doc Ock, defeated Spidey prompting Pete to want to pack it in as his confidence had taken a massive hit. but Human Torch of all people inadvertently gave Pete a pep talk about never giving in. so from there he went back to be jokey and wisecracking but with a bit less arrogance, over the years it's become he's biggest weapon against foe's. it's also a way for Pete to release tension anger other types of concious build up and use it as a release mechanism.

A little bit from everything mentioned. He does it to throw his enemies off guard. He does it to keep his sanity. He does it to hide whatever fear he might have. We can all agree though that when he's NOT cracking wise, bad things are happening because that means he's devoting all of his energy to kicking his opponents tail. Even worse when he's not saying ANYTHING....There is nothing scarier IMO than a Spider-Man who's completely silent, cold and efficient.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    A little bit from everything mentioned. He does it to throw his enemies off guard. He does it to keep his sanity. He does it to hide whatever fear he might have. We can all agree though that when he's NOT cracking wise, bad things are happening because that means he's devoting all of his energy to kicking his opponents tail. Even worse when he's not saying ANYTHING....There is nothing scarier IMO than a Spider-Man who's completely silent, cold and efficient.

Spider-Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider-Man View Post
    I can't help but think that this scene was showing Peter himself asking for a third season of the show!
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name is Spider-Man and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*

Peter B. Parker

He jokes all the time because (just like many pointed out): To distract his foes, calm himself, dismiss the danger of being a superhero, minimize his problems not just like Spider-man, but as Peter Parker.
    Much people do the same to cope with stressful lifes

All-New Member

I always thought it was an aspect of his insecurity.

Here's a kid who was picked on all his life. He never grew up with real friends. His Aunt and Uncle were an extra generation removed. He had problems socializing. He wound up compensating for that. You see that sometimes. Shy person, gets a couple of drinks, and all of a sudden they're the loudest in the bar.

When he put on the costume, it was the crutch he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbob View Post
    I always thought it was an aspect of his insecurity.

Here's a kid who was picked on all his life. He never grew up with real friends. His Aunt and Uncle were an extra generation removed. He had problems socializing. He wound up compensating for that. You see that sometimes. Shy person, gets a couple of drinks, and all of a sudden they're the loudest in the bar.

When he put on the costume, it was the crutch he needed.
    Very true.

And.....that mask is like his Internet forum. He can say whatever the hell comes to mind, and it won't blow back on Peter Parker.

He's a smart kid with a sharp mind but he's a social outcast, so all the crap and quips that pop up in his mind? He can't say them because they'll get his nerd ass beat. Or fired. But Spider-Man means anonymity. It could be anyone under the mask. So Parker can finally let loose with the mouth. It's his entire day's collection of restraint and stress and frustration, finally unleashed in a torrent.

And it's also all the other things people have said. Spider-Man quips because that's what he does.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, there have been quite a few different reasons used, with specific stories/continuities emphasizing specific ones as relevant to that specific narrative. I have no problem reason that there's no one single reason to it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Social anxiety.

Because it's entertaining to the comic readers and audience of TV and film.