Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I would just cut back to Green Lanterns (the good Lanterns) and Yellow Lanterns/Sinestro Corps (The bad Lanterns). Anything else is excessive and gets confusing and starts to feel like Power Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I would just cut back to Green Lanterns (the good Lanterns) and Yellow Lanterns/Sinestro Corps (The bad Lanterns). Anything else is excessive and gets confusing and starts to feel like Power Rangers.
    Don't really get how you go from aliens wielding emotions as weapons to Power Rangers. It's a spectrum so you need maybe a couple more rings on it. Besides Power Rangers is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Keep Green and Yellow, get rid of the rest...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Carol Ferris wants to have a word with you.

The “Power Rangers” feel doesn’t come from there being seven factions, each with its own color; it comes from those factions resembling each other so much.

Put another way: what’s the difference between Hal Jordan, Sinestro, and Carol Ferris on the one hand, and Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Saint Walker, and Indigo-1 on the other? Answer: the first three weren’t created to fill roles defined by an Emo Spectrum framework; the last four were. I am certain of two things: if the latter four characters had gradually been introduced independently over the course of decades and without reference to an Emo Spectrum, they’d be quite different from how they are now even if they somehow managed to retain the same personalities; and there wouldn’t be any griping now about Rainbow Lanterns or Power Rangers.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Right now, the orange lantern, blue lantern and indigo lantern don't seem to be used much. It does look like 3-4 colors is enough. Maybe the orange, blue and indigo need reboots to be more interesting.

Must all the emotional spectrum be handled by rings? I mean, the Star saphire worked fine before without the need of rings.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Must all the emotional spectrum be handled by rings? I mean, the Star saphire worked fine before without the need of rings.
    They changed it to rings so it would be easier to control the gems only want to kill Green Lanterns

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    To those who say to go back to just Green Lanterns: that ship sailed a long time ago, way back in the Silver Age with Sinestro and Star Sapphire. (Granted, before Green Lantern: Rebirth, they were merely different colors for the most part, with little in the way of deeper meaning; but even back then, you had Green having a vulnerability to Yellow.)

Personally, I’d keep the Spectrum the same; but I’d differentiate the Corps more, so that they feel even less cut-and-paste than they currently do. “___ Lantern Corps” goes away as a general designation (kept only by the Green Lantern Corps), and the use of rings to channel one’s Light is done only by two of the groups.

• Instead of the Red Lantern Corps, you’d have the Crimson Hunters. Emphasize their feral nature, and go with collars rather than rings — or internalize the power gems the way the Star Sapphires do.
    • This one’s going to be unpopular: instead of Larfleeze being the only living weilder of the Orange Light, with all other “Orange Lanterns” being sentient ring constructs, he’s the CEO of the Amber Syndicate, a mega-corporation populated by employees ranging from greedy thieves and con artists to traders who practice enlightened self-interest. Instead of rings, members of the Amber Syndicate wear their power gems pinned to their business suits, a la cufflinks or lapel pins.
    • Sinestro runs a terrorist organization known as the Scions of Sinestro. They don’t exist merely to cause fear for its own sake; rather, they exist to harness fear to serve Sinestro’s interests. What would become of them without Sinestro’s leadership is an open question.
    • The Green Lantern Corps are “space cops”, as they always have been.
    • Instead of a Blue Lantern Corps, the Order of Adara is a priesthood of sorts. Their “power gems” are mounted on headbands, giving something of a “mystical third eye” imagery.
    • The Indigo Tribe is fine as is, save only for their power gems being mounted in piercings (usually earrings) rather than on rings.
    • As is currently the case, you don’t have a “Violet Lantern Corps”; you have the Sisterhood of the Star Sapphire. Yes, its membership is exclusively female; and yes, that’s sexist. Instead of rings, they internalize their power gems. Like the Order of Adara, the Sisterhood is a quasi-religous order.
    • The Black Hands (not Black Lanterns) aren’t zombies so much as they’re parasites, consuming the Light to live. Play up the original Black Hand’s schtick a bit more.
    • There are no White Lanterns, any more than there are Brown Lanterns or Purple Lanterns. (Browns, Purples, and Whites are composite colors, not monochromatic like ROYGBIV.)
    I like the sound of most of that. The only one I don't like is the Orange Lanterns. I like the idea of them being a syndicate of thieves but instead of having their power come from pins or cufflinks it might be cooler if maybe they have their eyes replaced by crystals that lets them see more while at the same time jacking up their quickness and reflexes. The crystal eye would let them see alarms, guards, and targets and such allowing them to be better thieves. They would all still answer to Boss Larfleeze though.

Well it does fit that a corporate thief got picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    To those who say to go back to just Green Lanterns: that ship sailed a long time ago, way back in the Silver Age with Sinestro and Star Sapphire. (Granted, before Green Lantern: Rebirth, they were merely different colors for the most part, with little in the way of deeper meaning; but even back then, you had Green having a vulnerability to Yellow.)

Personally, I’d keep the Spectrum the same; but I’d differentiate the Corps more, so that they feel even less cut-and-paste than they currently do. “___ Lantern Corps” goes away as a general designation (kept only by the Green Lantern Corps), and the use of rings to channel one’s Light is done only by two of the groups.

• Instead of the Red Lantern Corps, you’d have the Crimson Hunters. Emphasize their feral nature, and go with collars rather than rings — or internalize the power gems the way the Star Sapphires do.
    • This one’s going to be unpopular: instead of Larfleeze being the only living weilder of the Orange Light, with all other “Orange Lanterns” being sentient ring constructs, he’s the CEO of the Amber Syndicate, a mega-corporation populated by employees ranging from greedy thieves and con artists to traders who practice enlightened self-interest. Instead of rings, members of the Amber Syndicate wear their power gems pinned to their business suits, a la cufflinks or lapel pins.
    • Sinestro runs a terrorist organization known as the Scions of Sinestro. They don’t exist merely to cause fear for its own sake; rather, they exist to harness fear to serve Sinestro’s interests. What would become of them without Sinestro’s leadership is an open question.
    • The Green Lantern Corps are “space cops”, as they always have been.
    • Instead of a Blue Lantern Corps, the Order of Adara is a priesthood of sorts. Their “power gems” are mounted on headbands, giving something of a “mystical third eye” imagery.
    • The Indigo Tribe is fine as is, save only for their power gems being mounted in piercings (usually earrings) rather than on rings.
    • As is currently the case, you don’t have a “Violet Lantern Corps”; you have the Sisterhood of the Star Sapphire. Yes, its membership is exclusively female; and yes, that’s sexist. Instead of rings, they internalize their power gems. Like the Order of Adara, the Sisterhood is a quasi-religous order.
    • The Black Hands (not Black Lanterns) aren’t zombies so much as they’re parasites, consuming the Light to live. Play up the original Black Hand’s schtick a bit more.
    • There are no White Lanterns, any more than there are Brown Lanterns or Purple Lanterns. (Browns, Purples, and Whites are composite colors, not monochromatic like ROYGBIV.)
    Yes, something like this I would like more.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Reply to OP.

Remove Indigo Tribe from existence.
    Reduce the Blue Lantern Corps to a single member, and have that character act as a kind of Spiritual Ally/Advisor to the Green Lantern Corps.
    Make Larfleeze (The Orange Lantern) be for the Yellow/Sinestro Lantern Corps what the Blue Lantern is for the Green Lantern Corps.
    Make the Red Lanterns and Star Sapphires (Violet/Purple) somewhat, I don't know, more Primal and Instinctual than the other colors. The idea being that perhaps they sit too far on the extremes of the Spectrum to really be in control of themselves.
    Green Lanterns are vulnerable to Yellow, Yellow are vulnerable to Red, Red to Violet/Purple, Violet/Purple to Green; with Blue and Orange sitting outside the normal cycle and therefore canceling each other out.
    Just my thoughts anyway.
    Last edited by Burning Eyes; 12-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I like the sound of most of that. The only one I don't like is the Orange Lanterns. I like the idea of them being a syndicate of thieves but instead of having their power come from pins or cufflinks it might be cooler if maybe they have their eyes replaced by crystals that lets them see more while at the same time jacking up their quickness and reflexes. The crystal eye would let them see alarms, guards, and targets and such allowing them to be better thieves. They would all still answer to Boss Larfleeze though.
    Not necessarily thieves, though — at least, not literally. I tend to think that the current take on Orange got a little too focused on one interpretation of avarice; it doesn’t leave room for “Greed is Good” Gordon Gekko types (or Danny Devito in Other Peoples’ Money) who claim that they’re making the world a better place through by pursuing their own ends. The idea of moving away from Larfleeze as the only wielder of the Orange Light because he refuses to share is to allow for other, more nuanced interpretations of what the Orange Light can represent. So no, I wouldn’t want to force them to scoop out their eyes in order to mount their power gems.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Orange lanterns probably needs more members. Blue Lanterns probably needs to be as useful as the green lanterns.

Amazing Member

I posted an idea to another forum before, which was more convoluted then it should have been. Basic premise was gutting out the emotional side and replacing it with different types of mind over matter, trying to bring it back to more of its roots I think.

Green being willpower still, and using the ring to will out the different solid forms from their rings.
    Reds gained the power to control/create liquids, gaining the power directly from the magic blood pool that would replace their own; sometimes the mind would go crazy though when the new blood entered, so it would be the case of the brain having to overcome the matter.
    Then the other corps would have the rest: gas [blue], plasma [yellow], beam [violet], dark matter [indigo], ectoplasm [orange]
    Blues would travel to other planets, meditate, and change the air around them to slowly make a planet habitable for life.
    Indigo expanded their horizons, being protectors of the multiverse instead [Kinda like how Vibe was].
    Orange was a mix of Larfleeze and the Tangent Universe GL, being able to use one's mind over the soul, and command spirits.
    Violet itself would take the emotional side of things, being able to view/manipulate not just love, but anger, greed, and everything else.
    Yellow was the same as it is now, but uses plasma constructs instead.

I think I scrapped white and black, as I don't recall using them at all.

Actually, if I could do ANYTHING, I'd dump the whole concept, and go with pre-Nu52 Alan Scott + family.

BANNED

I would put Alan Scott in a golden age Justice Society and thus stuck with Jay Garrick in the town Garrick put in the speed zone that Flash found in am old story. So his ring would have been considered "damaged" by the Guardians after never returning, and explaining why they never sent a replacement ring until Abin Sur crashed.