Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Interesting that there are some nice Spectrum-lik concepts that were never linked to the Emotional Spectrum someway - namely, the Anti-Matter Green Lantern Corps and the Effigy Corps. I rather liked how Effigy's powers worked, they were similar but different enough.

as for redesign... I would make the Orange Lanterns get living lanterns by having Larfleeze lend orange rings to certain individuals in exchange for something, anything Larfleeze wants or desires. Larfleeze, for all his power, can't be everywhere at once. Say, a villain gets a orange ring without charge, he has to do something for Larfleeze to charge it (which tends from the bizarre to the weird to the horrible and to even gruesome levels), in exchange he gets, say, 24 hours of a powered Orange Lantern ring, which can create constructs in the form of persons whose identities were stolen. Then the ring comes back.

Essentially, Larfleeze has a entire universe of thieves, criminals, villains and opportunists to get him what he wants. Some of them can be considered good enough agents to become recurring and maybe even get a permanent orange ring that will be recharged remotely if Larfleeze needs/wants something. Maybe the innactive rings only got a few basic powers too, like ring-powered sensors, flight and translators, with full powers coming only from Larfleeze (unless you hack the ring, which gives you some time until Larfleeze finds out and kills you dead).

These agents (especially the evil ones) often go after other agents in order to take their rings and try to turn the rings themselves into ringjuice for their own interests, because greedy backstabbers. Or drain other sources to turn into Orange Light. Larfleeze doesn't mind too much, unless its a agent he was fond of being killed. Maybe from one time or another a agent goes off the rails and tries to coup, drunk with stolen power, and then he takes over for a time, but Larfleeze always takes power back eventually (because he either escapes or because they fear disabling their own power due to the fact Larfleeze is a living orange battery).

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Meh....just write good stories. This solves everything.

I think the main problem is how fast everything has been moving with all the different lantern corps.

You barely get introduced to the Red Lanterns and suddenly it's the Blackest Night already.

The War of Light and everything felt rushed. I think there should be more character development for the different colored lanterns.
    Yes, I felt that as well. They were great concepts but I feel the faster introduction harmed them.

The Sinestro Corps was solid exactly because they got the strongest introduction. It was such a no-brainer concept, too.

Essentially, all the other color-corps (Even Sinestro's) suffer from a lack of answer to the question: What these people do?
    Green Lanterns patrol the universe.
    Sinestro Corps is essentially "follow Sinestro's agenda" and some vague stuff about order.
    Blue Lanterns were assistance to the Greens, healing and inspiring hope and stuff. Seems vague.
    Indigos are essentially a reconditioning camp for villains and evil people (at first they seemed like merely a bunch of brainwashers, but there's evidence that to be a Indigo, one has to have at least a spark of compassion and regret).
    Orange is "do whatever Larfleeze wants" which makes because its greed after all.
    Reds seem to be all about vengeance and revenge, anti-heroes to the GLC's heroes. Needs more deepth.
    Star-Sapphires are protectors of love. Nice, but also needs depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Right because having seven flavors of lanterns zipping around without any explanation as to why they're different somehow better?
    Why do they have to be flavors?

Eliminate it all together. End it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Yes, I felt that as well. They were great concepts but I feel the faster introduction harmed them.

The Sinestro Corps was solid exactly because they got the strongest introduction. It was such a no-brainer concept, too.

Essentially, all the other color-corps (Even Sinestro's) suffer from a lack of answer to the question: What these people do?
    Green Lanterns patrol the universe.
    Sinestro Corps is essentially "follow Sinestro's agenda" and some vague stuff about order.
    Blue Lanterns were assistance to the Greens, healing and inspiring hope and stuff. Seems vague.
    Indigos are essentially a reconditioning camp for villains and evil people (at first they seemed like merely a bunch of brainwashers, but there's evidence that to be a Indigo, one has to have at least a spark of compassion and regret).
    Orange is "do whatever Larfleeze wants" which makes because its greed after all.
    Reds seem to be all about vengeance and revenge, anti-heroes to the GLC's heroes. Needs more deepth.
    Star-Sapphires are protectors of love. Nice, but also needs depth.

Yeah, the Sinestro Corps and Star Sapphires came about naturally and were the after-affects of the story. They were not "market" ploys or anything of that sort.

The major problem is how Johns' skimmed over the emotions as quickly as possible.

All the emotions, love, hate, greed, hope were barely explored and explained in the most juvenile way possible.

What is love? Just forgive?

You have enough hate? You're a red lantern

You're dead? Black Lantern zombie.

He needs to go deeper into that and make the readers feel those emotions too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yeah, the Sinestro Corps and Star Sapphires came about naturally and were the after-affects of the story. They were not "market" ploys or anything of that sort.

The major problem is how Johns' skimmed over the emotions as quickly as possible.

All the emotions, love, hate, greed, hope were barely explored and explained in the most juvenile way possible.

What is love? Just forgive?

You have enough hate? You're a red lantern

You're dead? Black Lantern zombie.

He needs to go deeper into that and make the readers feel those emotions too.
    Yes, XD. They were skimmed over so trivially. I get WHY; they were just items/pieces to be used to get to his overall story (i.e.. war after war after war...) but still. I hear people scream a weekly Lantern series, but THIS is when we needed a weekly Lantern series. One Year Later, was it? Should have a a 52 issue GL series dealing with at least a few of the new corps. Oh well, too late now.

I guess other possible Lanterns would be...

Crystal Lantern: Ring accesses zero point energy background energy of the universe, infinite in power. Energy before it becomes light, before it becomes emotion...

Bleed Lantern: Ring accesses bleed energy for power. I envision the user as some sort of Jet Li's "The One", his ring letting him travel the multiverse and acquiring other universes Lantern powers somehow.

Hybrid Lantern: Fusion of one or more Lantern rings. Grants the abilities of multiple rings.

Chimera Lantern: Like the above, a fusion of rings, but instead of them stacking in powers, they become unstable and create strange chimera powers. A green ring mixed with an appropriate other ring such as green/red may allow you to will anger in other beings, or green/yellow directly cause beings to feel fear. among other fiercer powers and combinations.

^In fact, I foresee a future in which another war breaks out when Green Lanterns start tempering their green rings with other coloured rings, seeking and addicted to the rush of emotions full will over an emotion can grant.
    Last edited by Master X; 12-20-2014 at 12:30 PM.

I prefer to just move the Qwardians to the prime earth universe to make their stories simpler. The Qwardians and Darkstars don't need to be part of rainbow brite to be formidable villains. The shadow demons of the anti monitor from the anti matter universe can also be revamped and we probably will see a revamped shadow demons corps in the upcoming anti monitor vs darkseid war.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I prefer to just move the Qwardians to the prime earth universe to make their stories simpler. The Qwardians and Darkstars don't need to be part of rainbow brite to be formidable villains. The shadow demons of the anti monitor from the anti matter universe can also be revamped and we probably will see a revamped shadow demons corps in the upcoming anti monitor vs darkseid war.
    Qward needs to be in the Anti-Matter Universe because of its background related to the Anti-Monitor. They just need to clear up the AMU's status in the current multiverse. Is it Earth 3? Is it a single anti-matter universe that is off the map? Is it part of a entire multiverse of anti-matter earths belonging to a greater omniverse of matter and anti-matter earths?

I think they really need to bring the Qwardians back to their A-game, they've been Sinestro's punks since the Sinestro Corps War. These guys used to be hardcore, they hanged out with the Anti-Monitor and were his favorites, constantly fought the Green Lantern Corps, made super-weapons of doom and cosmic destruction like the Void Hound, etc. They made a ring of fear out of the fear, terror and desperation of two races being slowly, excruciatingly extinguished. When their own equivalent of the Internet became sentient, they enslaved it and put it as the AI controlling the Void Hound, which was more or less a Maggedon-grade death of planetary destruction, etc etc. Qward used to be a cosmic boogeyman, a evil multiversal empire that struck fear and terror in the hearts of its enemies. Only Apokolips could be compared to Qward as a focal point of such evil and misery across the multiverse.

I hope we see Qward under the Anti-Monitor in Darkseid War. If the Anti-Monitor becomes a more consistent presence in the DC Universe, they should make Qward his 'Apokolips'.

Wonder if we're going to see Dark Angel be the Anti-Monitor's Harbringer...

Oh, and put this guy as the sole hero of Qward:
    http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=KALIBER
    Bonus lost tale:
    http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/curtain/gl-satr.php
    Last edited by Slaughter; 12-20-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    Hybrid Lantern: Fusion of one or more Lantern rings. Grants the abilities of multiple rings.
    Not exactly fusion but a Hybrid Lantern has appeared a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Qward needs to be in the Anti-Matter Universe because of its background related to the Anti-Monitor. They just need to clear up the AMU's status in the current multiverse. Is it Earth 3? Is it a single anti-matter universe that is off the map? Is it part of a entire multiverse of anti-matter earths belonging to a greater omniverse of matter and anti-matter earths?

I think they really need to bring the Qwardians back to their A-game, they've been Sinestro's punks since the Sinestro Corps War. These guys used to be hardcore, they hanged out with the Anti-Monitor and were his favorites, constantly fought the Green Lantern Corps, made super-weapons of doom and cosmic destruction like the Void Hound, etc. They made a ring of fear out of the fear, terror and desperation of two races being slowly, excruciatingly extinguished. When their own equivalent of the Internet became sentient, they enslaved it and put it as the AI controlling the Void Hound, which was more or less a Maggedon-grade death of planetary destruction, etc etc. Qward used to be a cosmic boogeyman, a evil multiversal empire that struck fear and terror in the hearts of its enemies. Only Apokolips could be compared to Qward as a focal point of such evil and misery across the multiverse.

I hope we see Qward under the Anti-Monitor in Darkseid War. If the Anti-Monitor becomes a more consistent presence in the DC Universe, they should make Qward his 'Apokolips'.

Wonder if we're going to see Dark Angel be the Anti-Monitor's Harbringer...

Oh, and put this guy as the sole hero of Qward:
    http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=KALIBER
    Bonus lost tale:
    http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/curtain/gl-satr.php
    I think he's still from Qward, he absorbed power from Earth 3 to fight Darkseid, and Darkseid needs Earth 2 to heal Apokolips because he absorbed power from its core to heal himself.

Since the anti monitor is now more popular as the boss of the anti matter universe, I think it is better to let the Qwardians be independent of the anti-monitor by moving the qwardians to the prime earth universe. The anti monitor already has shadow demons or black lanterns so the anti monitor does not really need to be associated with the Qwardians anymore. Kaliber was not popular so he probably won't be back. Not many people still remember the characters from Ravers.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    To those who say to go back to just Green Lanterns: that ship sailed a long time ago, way back in the Silver Age with Sinestro and Star Sapphire. (Granted, before Green Lantern: Rebirth, they were merely different colors for the most part, with little in the way of deeper meaning; but even back then, you had Green having a vulnerability to Yellow.)

Personally, I’d keep the Spectrum the same; but I’d differentiate the Corps more, so that they feel even less cut-and-paste than they currently do. “___ Lantern Corps” goes away as a general designation (kept only by the Green Lantern Corps), and the use of rings to channel one’s Light is done only by two of the groups.

• Instead of the Red Lantern Corps, you’d have the Crimson Hunters. Emphasize their feral nature, and go with collars rather than rings — or internalize the power gems the way the Star Sapphires do.
    • This one’s going to be unpopular: instead of Larfleeze being the only living weilder of the Orange Light, with all other “Orange Lanterns” being sentient ring constructs, he’s the CEO of the Amber Syndicate, a mega-corporation populated by employees ranging from greedy thieves and con artists to traders who practice enlightened self-interest. Instead of rings, members of the Amber Syndicate wear their power gems pinned to their business suits, a la cufflinks or lapel pins.
    • Sinestro runs a terrorist organization known as the Scions of Sinestro. They don’t exist merely to cause fear for its own sake; rather, they exist to harness fear to serve Sinestro’s interests. What would become of them without Sinestro’s leadership is an open question.
    • The Green Lantern Corps are “space cops”, as they always have been.
    • Instead of a Blue Lantern Corps, the Order of Adara is a priesthood of sorts. Their “power gems” are mounted on headbands, giving something of a “mystical third eye” imagery.
    • The Indigo Tribe is fine as is, save only for their power gems being mounted in piercings (usually earrings) rather than on rings.
    • As is currently the case, you don’t have a “Violet Lantern Corps”; you have the Sisterhood of the Star Sapphire. Yes, its membership is exclusively female; and yes, that’s sexist. Instead of rings, they internalize their power gems. Like the Order of Adara, the Sisterhood is a quasi-religous order.
    • The Black Hands (not Black Lanterns) aren’t zombies so much as they’re parasites, consuming the Light to live. Play up the original Black Hand’s schtick a bit more.
    • There are no White Lanterns, any more than there are Brown Lanterns or Purple Lanterns. (Browns, Purples, and Whites are composite colors, not monochromatic like ROYGBIV.)
    -the best suggestion so far ; but for me we can still use "lanterns" because of the nature of having light constructs
    -for blue lanterns, maybe they can have a "quantum spirit" or mini-entities that sticks to a chosen blue lantern; you can call hem geni, eidolons, or that "quantum soul or spirit" so they don't need any ring or accessories.
    -speaking of entities, since Red Lanterns becomes "Hunters" they should have "the predator" as their entity and have the Star Sapphires have an entity that create "bonds".
    Last edited by sirzap; 12-20-2014 at 08:51 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I like the sound of most of that. The only one I don't like is the Orange Lanterns. I like the idea of them being a syndicate of thieves but instead of having their power come from pins or cufflinks it might be cooler if maybe they have their eyes replaced by crystals that lets them see more while at the same time jacking up their quickness and reflexes. The crystal eye would let them see alarms, guards, and targets and such allowing them to be better thieves. They would all still answer to Boss Larfleeze though.
    or maybe they could use a monocle kinda-like what they use in MONOPOLY boardgame. and similarly they could use an eye patch, but they can still SEE thru it, for splintered factions of Orange Lantern "Pirates". a steam punk style could suit them.

I like the EYE suggestion because envious or greedy people sets their EYEs on what they want.

How much have we seen of this new Anti-Monitor so far? I know the pre-Crisis Anti-Monitor made his home in the Antimatter Universe; but the pre-Crisis Multiverse didn’t have a “Monitor Sphere”. Does the New 52 Anti-Monitor have any connection to the Antimatter Universe, or does he hail from the opposite end of the Monitor Sphere from the home of the Monitors?* If the latter, then there’s no need to extract the Weaponers of Qward from wherever the Antimatter Universe happens to be in order to make them independent of the Anti-Monitor.

* If you look a the extended Map of the Multiverse, you’ll see a little orb located just below the question mark that has since been identified as the Blood Moon, mirroring the Monitor homeworld that sits just above Wonderworld.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by sirzap View Post
    -the best suggestion so far ; but for me we can still use "lanterns" because of the nature of having light constructs
    Technically true; but the whole point of the exercise is to discourage doing that.

-for blue lanterns, maybe they can have a "quantum spirit" or mini-entities that sticks to a chosen blue lantern; you can call them geni, eidolons, or that "quantum soul or spirit" so they don't need any ring or accessories.
    I’d rather not; although I could definitely see them being able to manifest someone’s “higher self”, as it were, as a force construct.

-speaking of entities, since Red Lanterns becomes "Hunters" they should have "the predator" as their entity and have the Star Sapphires have an entity that create "bonds".
    “The Predator” is associated with the Star Sapphires for the same reason why Ion is associated with the Green Lanterns and Parallax is associated with Sinestro: pre-EmoSpectrum stories involving Star Sapphire sometimes included an alternate personality for Carol Ferris (even more alternate than her Star Sapphire persona) that was called the Predator.

Mind you, making the Predator the Rage Entity could potentially work there, too; IIRC, stories featuring the Predator were ones where Carol was rather ticked off at Hal. And just like our first encounter with Parallax featured a Green Lantern going nuts, it’s possible to say that the Rage Entity got its claws into a Star Sapphire. That would certainly be more interesting than “everything that’s been associated with the Star Sapphires in the past is somehow connected to the Violet Light.”

That said, I’d rather rethink the whole “Emo Spectrum Entities” thing. AFAICT, the whole notion was introduced to let Hal off the hook for his actions as Parallax (“it wasn’t me; it was the Fear Entity!”). I’m not saying that the notion of personifications of each color and its associated emotion is a bad one; but I’d much rather they work like a seven-fold “shoulder angels/demons” thing, being manifestations of an individual’s psyche rather than discrete and singular beings, and being the result of “too much of X” rather than a cause of it. So most priests of the Order of Adara would have their own personal Hope Entity watching over them.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

I’d rather not; although I could definitely see them being able to manifest someone’s “higher self”, as it were, as a force construct.
    well if that is the case that in effect is their ( Blue Lanterns) light construct, an "Animal spirit" counterpart .