Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBH3 View Post
    Outcast is not on as many lists as I thought it would be.
    I read the first issue. It didn't wow me, but it was good. But in this day and age.. where Image is absolutely killing it, the first issue kind of does need to wow me otherwise I'd be buying everything.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBH3 View Post
    Outcast is not on as many lists as I thought it would be.
    I imagine it is doing pretty well. I'm pulling it and have been since #1 but it isn't nearly my favorite. Pretty middle of the pack for me. I'm sticking with it cause I have faith the story will get good eventually.

All-New Member

Hi all - I'm new to the forums/relatively new to the medium!

I'm currently going through past trades of -

Deadly Class
    Zero
    Alex & Ada
    East of West

- all of which I absolutely love, and was wondering if you all could point me in the direction of some other Image titles I may enjoy, preferably those with a maximum of 3/4 trades. After reading consistently amazing things about Saga, I have ordered the first 3 and am so excited to get stuck into them.

Any more recommendations you guys have would be awesome, and really appreciated. I'm open to all genres you might suggest as I'm realising that all the stories, and artwork for that matter, that Image have on offer are first class.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Haus View Post

Deadly Class
    Zero
    Alex & Ada
    East of West

- all of which I absolutely love, and was wondering if you all could point me in the direction of some other Image titles I may enjoy, preferably those with a maximum of 3/4 trades. After reading consistently amazing things about Saga, I have ordered the first 3 and am so excited to get stuck into them.

Any more recommendations you guys have would be awesome, and really appreciated. I'm open to all genres you might suggest as I'm realising that all the stories, and artwork for that matter, that Image have on offer are first class.

Thanks in advance!
    I can only speak for the books that I'm reading... if you want phenomenal world building and some poli-sci-fi, you can't go wrong with Lazarus. Issue 17 released Wednesday. If you're enjoying Deadly Class, you'd most likely enjoy Remender's other work (but maybe not). Black Science and LOW are also written by him and Tokyo Ghost releases in September. And lastly, Southern Bastards. A southern crime drama with a lot of football. If you're into football it's a must. You won't find a book quite like Southern Bastards anywhere else on the stands.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I can only speak for the books that I'm reading... if you want phenomenal world building and some poli-sci-fi, you can't go wrong with Lazarus. Issue 17 released Wednesday. If you're enjoying Deadly Class, you'd most likely enjoy Remender's other work (but maybe not). Black Science and LOW are also written by him and Tokyo Ghost releases in September. And lastly, Southern Bastards. A southern crime drama with a lot of football. If you're into football it's a must. You won't find a book quite like Southern Bastards anywhere else on the stands.
    Deadly Class is definitely one of my favourites right now. I had a peak at Black Science and although I thought the art was exquisite, for some reason the story didn't appeal to me so much (bear in mind it was only a quick read through) - does Remender have anything more Deadly Class-esque? I really love the premise of the story and think his writing is great.

I shall definitely check out Southern Bastards too, sounds like fun. But I assume 'football' isn't the same 'football' as I know it, right? You guys play so called 'football' with a very oddly shaped 'football' indeed...haha!

I've actually not noticed it whilst browsing my store, but I'll ask about it next time I go. Thanks for the suggestion man!

One that caught my eye recently (for obvious reasons) is ODY-C - what are people's opinions? Is it an on-going thing?

I'm only picking up trades atm, so anything that's a few trades in or even better, just starting out, is perfect for me. The first handful of Image titles I mentioned before have completely engrossed me and made me fall in love with the medium...and like all good love-affairs I anticipate my bank account being drained until near depletion in the weeks and months to come!
    Last edited by Haus; 06-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.

I have dropped a fair amount but this is what i am left with

-Birthright
    -Copperhead
    -Deadly Class
    -Descender
    -Fade Out
    -Five Ghosts
    -Invisible Republic
    -Lazarus
    -Outcast
    -Rat Queens
    -Saga
    -Southern Bastards
    -Velvet
    -Wytches

Deadly Class is definitely one of my favourites right now. I had a peak at Black Science and although I thought the art was exquisite, for some reason the story didn't appeal to me so much (bear in mind it was only a quick read through) - does Remender have anything more Deadly Class-esque? I really love the premise of the story and think his writing is great.
    Hmm... Black Science and LOW are both more sci-fi focused. Deadly Class is a much more personal story for him. Tokyo Ghost is also going to be sci-fi based..

I shall definitely check out Southern Bastards too, sounds like fun. But I assume 'football' isn't the same 'football' as I know it, right? You guys play so called 'football' with a very oddly shaped 'football' indeed...haha!
    Hahaha, yes, I meant American football. My apologies.

Manhattan Projects
    Stray Bullets
    Satellite Sam (not for long, but, you know, it's on there)
    Bitch Planet

My updated list:

Alex + Ada - last issue just released
    Birthright
    Black Science
    Copperhead
    Chew
    Deadly Class
    Death Vigil
    East of West
    Fade Out
    IXth Generation
    Jupiter's Circle
    Lazarus
    Low
    Nailbiter
    Nameless
    No Mercy
    Outcast
    Pieces
    Postal
    Rat Queens
    Rocket Girl
    Saga
    Savior
    Sex Criminals
    Shutter
    Southern Bastards
    They're Not Like Us
    Velvet
    We Stand on Guard
    Wicked + Divine
    Witchblade
    Wytches

Trade Waiting:

Elephantmen
    Morning Glories
    Revival
    Roche Limit

Will buy digitally:

Starve

35 titles. I plan to start going digital with more books.
    Last edited by Tayne Japal; 06-21-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Deadly Class
    Zero
    Alex & Ada
    East of West

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the forums Haus.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Saga
    East of West

Recently dropped: Low, Wicked and Divine, and Wayward

One that caught my eye recently (for obvious reasons) is ODY-C - what are people's opinions? Is it an on-going thing?
    Yup, ongoing series. Don't expect it to ship on time though, save for I think the first 2 issues, they've all been delayed a bit so far.

As for its quality, it's rather divisive it seems. There's not many ODY-C fans out here on this board at least.
    Personally it's a favourite, but I must admit I'm the exact target audience here: I like adaptations of the Odyssey; I like Fraction's work; seem to gravitate towards series with themes of gender at the forefront; I like trippy, colourful and sprawling art. Had been looking forward to it for a few years (Fraction has been talking about it for quite a while), and whilst it's very different from what I expected, I'm loving the inventive adaptation.

Whether you'll like it will depend on how weird you like your comics to be. Do you want clear dialogue? Then don't bother, there's barely any dialogue at all and much of the narration uses the dactylic hexameter which Homer's works used a lot too. At the same time it has jarringly modern swearing and artwork with very little regard for things like panel borders. It's never super complicated, but requires more effort from the reader than your average superhero book.

Highly recommend you give it a shot, but that's coming from a fan. So prepare for potential dissapointment - several people on here really disliked it.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Incredible Member

Deadly Class
    Zero
    Alex & Ada
    East of West

Thanks in advance!

I echo those who said you might want to take a look at Lazarus. It is fantastic! If you like that book, you might also give Invisible Republic a look (though the first trade isn't due out for another month or so as it is only a few issues in). I'd also recommend doing some research on Invincible and Five Ghosts.

But my absolute favorite Image book is The Mercenary Sea. One trade has been released for it and we are in the middle of the second arc. Unfortunately, the book has been on a long hiatus and there is more than a little concern that the book is cancelled.

All-New Member

Airboy
    Alex + Ada
    Big Man Plans
    Birthright
    Bitch Planet
    Black Science
    Casanova: Acedia
    Chrononauts
    Copperhead
    Dead and the Dying
    Deadly Class
    Descender
    East of West
    Fade Out
    Injection
    Kaptara
    Lazarus
    Low
    Material
    Nameless
    ODY-C
    Pretty Deadly (even though it's been on hiatus for over a year and will only be back in September - it still counts dammit)
    Rat Queens
    Roche Limit
    Rumble
    Saga
    Sex Criminals
    Sons of the Devil
    Southern Bastards
    They're Not Like Us
    Velvet
    Wicked + Divine
    Wytches

Pre-emptive:
    We Stand on Guard

All-New Member

Thanks so much to everyone for the recommendations and the welcomes!!

I just picked up Southern Bastards from the Graphic Novel section of a larger book store (last one - lucky me!) and have gone through the first 2 chapters...

Wow. Absolutely loving it so far! Superb story-telling filled with evil hicks and dastardly bastards - so awesome. I can see it being an amazing TV show in the future. I'm hooked already! Thanks to cc008 for that one!

ODY-C was just way too tempting for me not to purchase whilst I was there. I'm a huge art/graphic design lover so needless to say I get super hyped just flicking through the pages. Thoroughly mesmerising stuff.

TotalSnorefest - I take all your advice on board man, and can instantly see what you mean regarding the dialogue and also any potential confusion when reading it. From the few pages I've briefly gone over so far I have to admit it looks like a lot of it may go straight over my head BUT it seems very poetic and mystical which is a plus, and I'm also excited at the prospect of being 'challenged' by a comic...failing that - simply ogling at the beautiful art will make it a worthwhile purchase I'm sure!

So thanks again guys! I'll be sure to take a look at Lazarus and Five Ghosts next time...I was quite intrigued by the first few pages of Roche Limit...any thoughts on that?

Until then, I shall get stuck into the rest of SBs, East of West 2 & 3, and all current trades of Saga!

Damn...Image readers are so spoilt right now! Is it always this exciting?!