Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Thanks for this! It's nice to see someone who can supply facts and current data regarding how media is tallied. You get the Troll-Killer Award of the Day!
    All I see is twisting facts to justify keeping ones job. I'm sure an executive who wanted to cancel the show could quote studies and skew ratings in a way to support their argument. Besides Bay movies are very popular doesn't mean they are any good.

If people +3'd the Super Bowl, you'd never get companies paying millions of dollars for an ad spot. Extended viewing is important, but live broadcast needs to be weighted far more heavily due to advertising revenue. If you don't watch it live, you're exponentially less likely to watch commercials unless you're watching through a network's web site.

Extended viewership is also kind of like how Cyber Monday turned into Cyber Week. Yes, a wider window gets more traffic, but that first day is all about loyalty. The rest is diminishing returns.

That said, I don't think there was a game-changer in AOS, because each MCU production has to make guesswork as to where the others are heading. That's why Winter Soldier, Dark World, IM3, and GOTG all felt different from Avengers. They were four unique creative ventures, through the eyes of different directors. AOS is different, too, and while it may borrow elements of the movies, the show will always be secondary to the movies. People will see Avengers 2 without seeing a single episode of AOS, and it won't detract from the movie experience.

In a lot of ways, the show handicapped itself by being about an organization fighting to stay alive and relevant. If SHIELD isn't relevant to any of the upcoming movies, then we'll have the interesting position where the show is basically an elevated form of fan fiction. AOS has made some mistakes; second half of the season needs to demonstrate it has a real purpose - purpose that will be reflected across mediums as more than just optional background information that the movie scripts don't have time for.

This show is basically for movie rejects. Lead actor? Dead and discarded from Avengers. Lead actress? Z-list character from some random comics Secret World or something a few years back, who have zero chance of getting in any movies. Villains? Draw from a list given by Marvel Studios, characters that will never make it to the big screen (that somehow includes Graviton and Absorbing Man). Cameos? Two appearances by Maria Hill, the mother you've been waiting for. Two appearances of Nick Fury, who'd rather star in credit card commercial. Wait there is another movie cameo. Lady Sif! The abandoned lover with minimal appearances in movies along with her merry band of Warrior Who? It's not a fanfic, it's a place for losers.

Oh my that means Mockingbird is basically no deal for movies too. Damn this show!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    No I'm suggesting that if you have to extend the viewing out to seven days it's obviously not the person's priority. Also for a show that is airing well before most people's bed time I find it hard to believe that they need to DVR it for any other reason than they have something better to watch at the time it airs.
    I guess in your world nobody works outside of the typical 9-5 or has any other responsibilities that would prevent them from watching tv. That world sounds magical.
    Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze

Amazing Member

Ah so if I keep watching and don't like it I'm an idiot. If I don't watch it and read spoilers and think it's crap and totally predictable I don't know what I'm talking about. Good to see there is a reason to dismiss my opinion no matter how it was established.
    So you don't watch it but keep reading about it and dump all over it? You sound like a jilted lover who can't move on.
    Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze

Amazing Member

No I'm suggesting that if you have to extend the viewing out to seven days it's obviously not the person's priority. Also for a show that is airing well before most people's bed time I find it hard to believe that they need to DVR it for any other reason than they have something better to watch at the time it airs.
    I DVR it to fast forward through commercials or for when I have to study. It also gets DVR'ed so I can rewatch without commercials. Just some reasons someone might DVR it
    Last edited by Huskie; 12-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by censorship View Post
    If people +3'd the Super Bowl, you'd never get companies paying millions of dollars for an ad spot. Extended viewing is important, but live broadcast needs to be weighted far more heavily due to advertising revenue. If you don't watch it live, you're exponentially less likely to watch commercials unless you're watching through a network's web site.

Extended viewership is also kind of like how Cyber Monday turned into Cyber Week. Yes, a wider window gets more traffic, but that first day is all about loyalty. The rest is diminishing returns.
    This is true, but live sporting events are the one least likely to be time shifted. With the advent of binge winging as a major component of viewing behavior along with time shifting, ratings people and the networks have been scrambling to reassess their models. The long tail captures more of the viewership than ever before. (Also, I don't know if folks know this, but mere exposure to commercials, even fast forwarded, moves the needle a little bit...though not as much as watching the full commercial at regular speed).

ETA: Should have added that +3 was a big addition a few years ago, but now the focus is now shifting to +7. The push for adjustments in ratings is quite real, as is the change in viewership behavior. That truly is the current state of how networks are looking at ratings and folks should take that into account.

You're right that same day ratings are weighted heavier, but it's also clear that timeshiftimg, streaming and VOD have changed viewership above and beyond that simple adjustment. I don't think it's clear how it's gonna end up (or that it will even stop changing), but viewers have more control of seeing what they want to see and when they want to do it, so there are new measures all the time of getting at that change.
    Last edited by gwangung; 12-10-2014 at 07:11 PM.

BANNED

All I see is twisting facts to justify keeping ones job. I'm sure an executive who wanted to cancel the show could quote studies and skew ratings in a way to support their argument. Besides Bay movies are very popular doesn't mean they are any good.
    Snicker.

I see someone trying to bullshit their way through a discussion.

Snicker.

(And now I AM making fun of your willful ignorance).

BANNED

Yea this show exsist only because Disney owns the channel it airs on. I have yet to met a single non Internet person that watches the show let alone enjoys it.
    Pure nonsense. Almost everyone in each of my classes watches it, I hear discussions about it the next day when it airs. All of my close friends do. I've bumped into people at locals shows talking about it as well.

It's a popular show. I don't know what muggle corner of the world you live in where "non Internet" (whatever that means) people are the only ones who watch it.

Wow we drummed up three whole people who DVR this show for reasons other than it's not a priority to watch it. Funny how other non garbage shows seems to find plenty of 9-5 ers to watch there show. Oh and I used to have a non 9-5 job it didn't take me seven days to watch a show I enjoyed. Shockingly when I got out of work at 2 am I didn't immediately go to bed and wake up immediately to go to work and have to way for a day off to watch a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Snicker.

I see someone trying to bullshit their way through a discussion.

Snicker.

(And now I AM making fun of your willful ignorance).
    And I'm laughing at the fact that you behave like a 13 year old girl talking behind a person back when everyone knows you would wilt like a daisy in any real life confrontation.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 12-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i dont DVR because............i just dont. either i watch as it airs or i watch it on-demand the next time. and no one in my family watches because........they aren't into comic book movies/tv shows. really, i'm the only real nerd in my family.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The ratings do keep track of which time-shifters watch the commercials and which don't. That's the C+3 numbers. People who watch the show, with the commercials, within 3 days of air date. Those are the main numbers advertisers are looking at these days, especially for genre shows like AoS that appeal to a younger, more mobile and social demographic.

Spectacular Member

I DVR and watch live. Some people enjoy watching it more than once and I actually have friends and family over for Marvel marathons. Members of my family who have never read a comic book have become converts because of the story, the characters and really, it's fun.

I'm just wondering why anyone is so uncomfortable with a show that they feel the need to belittle it and the people who do watch it. So you tried it and moved on, good on you. You enjoy your shows and we will enjoy ours. Somehow, we will all get by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    EPs Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon tell CBR about "Agents of SHIELD's" midseason finale, and the turn of events that will affect the MCU as a whole.

Full article here.
    I enjoyed the show and I like the things that were said in that interview. It will be interesting to see how Skye,or Daisy, develops. c: