Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sony knows that it has it's gold mine: a super-hero equivalent of James Bond, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. Spider-Family? Bonus!!! Sony is just now realizing the untapped potential - a potential that Marvel didn't realize could be monetized until Iron Man. Marvel saw what the potential revenue that had been given away. Kudos for taking "B" and "C" list concepts and making them into more profitable properties than Spider-Man. Marvel will probably not get the Spider-Man/family license back any time soon or easily. They probably won't get the X-Men license back. It seems like they are working diligently to get the Fantastic Four license back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thennary Nak View Post
    But Disney has money, something that Sony hasn't had much of recently and their whole company is hurting for it. So Disney has plenty of of what Sony wants, hence why they were probably willing to negotiate in the first place.
    Sony has money and they will always have money. They have one of the premier gaming consoles. They have Spider-Man. They have one of the most well known electronic brands. They distribute films like the Bond movies as of now. And they have Spider-Man.

I want money, does that mean I need Marvel? No because I have no expectation of ever having one Marvel has. Neither does Sony. Somehow they acquired one of Marvel's most valuable properties. They have Marvel's flagship character. They have a property Disney could be making billions off of. Marvel wants it back. If anything Marvel needs Sony to play ball with them if they ever want their biggest character part of their movie franchise.
    f
    It's amazing what Marvel did with the Avengers. But Spider-Man was always bigger, X-Men have been bigger since Claremont, Fantastic Four has some of the cornerstone concepts for Marvel. Marvel wants those back. The other companies have no expectation of having the other properties anymore than you or I. If a need exists, it exists from the end with the want.

Amazing Member

I'm more disappointed with the news that Spidey won't be in the MCU, proper. If this stuff never leaked, I guess I wouldn't have cared as much, but this "what if" scenario changes the game. ASM 2 was just so bad, and the Sinister 6 and Venom movies don't hold my interest- and Spider-Man has been my favorite character for over 20 years. I'd much rather Marvel's talent had more of an input in their best character.

Amazing Member

So how relible is Latino review? According to them the deals not dead quite yet
    Last edited by IndianaDrake; 12-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Sony has been under fire for a while now, this is just the latest thing that's going to cause major problems. Spider-Man will be in the MCU within 10 years!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

It's not official that the plans are dropped, they could still make it work given than the owners of Sony in Japan want it to happen and don't care who has the creative control or not.

But I said as much in these boards a few months ago, to counter Superman-Batman-JLA, I suggested that if Cap 3 be about Civil War, that they should give a call to Sony to use Spidey and also have Doctor Strange in there. But it wouldn't be a "team" Civil War but more like a few single important heroes going at it. And there's no one more important than Spidey. So it would be Spidey vs Cap vs Iron Man vs Hulk vs Doctor Strange vs Thor. It could be an incredible epic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    It's a shame that the talks fell apart, however what will feel weirder to me is a Civil War film without Luke Cage. His role was critical as well, in my opinion.
    lol Luke Cage? I don't remember him at all during Civil War. I remember him during Secret Invasion with the Skrulls but he was a non-issue during CW.

I think its time for Darkhawk!!!!

All-New Member comicstalkcomics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    does marvel even have a character in the MCU to fill spidey's role of being the everyman?
    I've actually never thought about that before (who would fill in Spidey's role for the event). It actually perplexed me enough that I spent 10 minutes looking through a list of super heroes on Marvel's database. The Sentry? Thor? Falcon? Every name I see kind of naturally falls on one side or the other. Also, I think Starlord (and potentially Nova) are going to be kept to galactic threats; it would seem strange for the guy who was on Earth until he was 8 to come back and say "I side with/against the United States Government!"

When it comes down to it maybe they are going to rely on none other than...Quicksilver? If they rebrand him to be more like Iceman's personality and less like classic Quicksilver then you can have a powerful hero who could have good reason to start with Tony Stark and end up with Iron Man. Maybe something along the lines of "Papa Stark found us and saved us from government experiments, so we'll stick with Tony Stark. Oh, wait: We hate government experiments. We'll now side with Captain America instead."

*nods from his armchair casting*

But, yea, Peter Parker really is quite unique and there will be no perfect 1:1 replacement for him.

Edit: Oh, and Dr. Strange is a likely candidate because he has no reason to be on one side or the other and can make the jump. Benedict Cumberbatch is so over with nerd fandom right now it really would make sense to rely on him.
    http://comicstalkcomics.libsyn.com/

We read and talk about the bad ones so you don't have to!

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Damn!!! If Marvel pulled this off.. then I would believe anything is possible ... Still I'm close to that thinking since they did Guardians of The Galaxy .. a movie I would NEVER believe would be made..

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Damn!!! If Marvel pulled this off.. then I would believe anything is possible ... Still I'm close to that thinking since they did Guardians of The Galaxy .. a movie I would NEVER believe would be made..
    See, I think Marvel will pull it off. There had been rumblings for a long time of something coming between Marvel Studios and Sony, couple that with Kevin Feige talking about something big being announced soon, which ended up being the Marvel Studios Phase 3 plans and the confirmation of CA3 being Civil War, I think they are close.

Now all this talk about sharing production and revenue 60/40 and all that has been happening with Sony, I think it is getting a lot closer to reality.

I'm going to go crazy the day they announce Spidey as part of the MCU!

Lets see how ant-man does first. then they really do have the midas touch. I see them getting fantastic 4 back before spidey is in anything though

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Sony has money and they will always have money. They have one of the premier gaming consoles. They have Spider-Man. They have one of the most well known electronic brands. They distribute films like the Bond movies as of now. And they have Spider-Man.

I want money, does that mean I need Marvel? No because I have no expectation of ever having one Marvel has. Neither does Sony. Somehow they acquired one of Marvel's most valuable properties. They have Marvel's flagship character. They have a property Disney could be making billions off of. Marvel wants it back. If anything Marvel needs Sony to play ball with them if they ever want their biggest character part of their movie franchise.
    f
    It's amazing what Marvel did with the Avengers. But Spider-Man was always bigger, X-Men have been bigger since Claremont, Fantastic Four has some of the cornerstone concepts for Marvel. Marvel wants those back. The other companies have no expectation of having the other properties anymore than you or I. If a need exists, it exists from the end with the want.
    Actually I think Sony needs Marvel more than you think. They do have a popular character to make money off of, and guess what they aren't making much money off of him. Teh Raimi films were big, the first 2 were great movies. The ASM movies have not had the critical acclaim or boxoffice of those movies, and certainly not the Marvel movies. The Big Sony heads see this, and might be willing to step in and restart the deal.

They want quality, they now Marvel makes quality superhero films, and they may be wiling to give Marvel creative control. As long as Money is coming their way, I doubt they'll have issues.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 12-12-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    Actually I think Sony needs Marvel more than you think. They do have a popular character to make money off of, and guess what they aren't making much money off of him. Teh Raimi films were big, the first 2 were great movies. The ASM movies have not had the critical acclaim or boxoffice of those movies, and certainly not the Marvel movies. The Big Sony heads see this, and might be willing to step him and restart the deal.

They want quality, they now Marvel makes quality superhero films, and they may be wiling to give Marvel creative control. As long as Money is coming their way, I doubt they'll have issues.
    From all the rumours (and they are rumours at this point, but sounds legitimate), there is a divide in Sony executive levels between North America and Japan. The North American executives want creative control of Spider-Man and want to reap all the rewards of a successful franchise.

The Japanese executives see that the Amazing Spider-Man movies haven't done all that well, revenue-wise, and looks at what Marvel Studios has done. In terms of sheer business mentality, it makes more sense to offer the likes of Kevin Feige creative control over the Spider-Man franchise, while only investing 40% production budget. If the Feige manages to navigate Spidey into the high box office numbers that Spider-Man has the potential for, then Sony gains 40% of the revenue.

WB and Legendary were doing this before Legendary split and signed with Universal, but with Legendary, it seemed the split was 50/50.

Incredible Member

Add also that Disney/Marvel own the merch rights to Spider-Man. Which was also another nail in the coffin of the ASM franchise. Disney made more money off ASM2 than Sony did.

So if you ask me, if Sony just lets Marvel make the movies, and allows them creative control, they will get more moeny off Spider-Man than they were making the movies themselves. They only have to produce 40 percent of the cost to create them, and then get to sit back and reap the rewards off of Marvels movie.

This also, "kinda", means that Spider-Man would for all intents be a Marvel property again. Sony would just be getting big checks for their troubles.

Got to give Marvel/Disney credit, they're playing dirty to get F4 back, and probably will win that war. And they were using diplomacy to get some control of Spider-Man back. X-Men will be out of their reach until the films start to fail. Which probably doesn't matter much to them since the X-Men universe can be looked at as its own thing anyway.