Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Absolutely. I think if you limit your vision to "if Rucka writes it, it will be good, but anybody else will suck", you're pretty much dooming the character to constant cancellations.
    No one ever said 'anybody else will suck' when it comes to writing Batwoman.

That's a gross misinterpretation of what was stated.

What I did say was that she flourished under her pen, and I was hoping he or someone else would retcon the storyline with Nocturna. And Rucka is an ideal candidate, though it seems unlikely given his fallout with DC in the past.

But I'm open to anyone writing her as long as they're good.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    If you're looking for a long run Brian Michael Bendis might be a winner.
    Are you going to pries him from Marvel? Really?

Besides, I have my problems with Bendis. His incredibly slow build-up in terms of pace in his comics is one of them.

I'm not sure he'd be right for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    If not Rucka, then I'd like to see a queer woman given a chance.
    Anyone in particular? I'm not up on things, I guess, but I can't immediately name any female comics writers that I am sure are gay.
    Colleen Coover. She's bisexual and wrote Gingerbread Girl, which is one of my favorite web comics.
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

Ultimate Member

Marjorie Liu might be a good choice. She isn't doing anything substantial with Marvel at the moment that I'm aware of. I love Rucka, be I also don't believe that he's the ONLY one who can write Kate well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triskelle View Post
    Can't agree on the Crime Bible/occult stuff, all that garbage is one of the biggest millstones around the character's neck and needs to be buried, or at least go away for a long while. Dumb prophecies, the ludicrous Religion of Crime nonsense, palling around with werewolves and enslaved by vampires, it just pigeonholes her in a crappy, sub-JLD ghetto.
    No, it's giving her her own unique niche in the Bat-family, as opposed to the generic street crime/urban vigilante stuff that a lot of other members are stuck with. Heck DC themselves even realize how stale that's gotten, given that they've taken Dick and Barbara in radically different directions.

Ultimate Member

Any suggestions as to who that creative team might comprise?
    Writer-Marjorie Liu
    Artist-Tony S. Daniel (I quite liked his SM/WW art).

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    If not Rucka, then I'd like to see a queer woman given a chance.
    Anyone in particular? I'm not up on things, I guess, but I can't immediately name any female comics writers that I am sure are gay.
    Kate Perkins from Supergirl. I litterally just found out she's gay this morning.

BANNED

Tony daniel art is beautiful but very little dynamic and very little emotional.

Batwoman needs a artist that know how to be creative with panels ala JH williams, do very good fights. Have a noir style could work too.
    Marc Laming is pretty great

Epting from velvet is so great.

Looks like its cancelled after March so we wont have to worry about if we were going to drop it or not. Hopefully it will come back after the break with a stronger creative team.

Genevieve Valentine, the current Catwoman writer, was offered her choice of either Batwoman or Catwoman when she was brought into the Bat Office as one of Mark Doyle's new finds. She chose Catwoman, of course. But, if that is any indication, Doyle may look outside the regular ranks of comic book writers to find someone new for this particular book. After all, like Catwoman before Valentine, it's an ideal property to take a chance with. That is it has characters with proven interest and popularity, but is coming off a bad period so that any level of success at all would be welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebum View Post
    Are you going to pries him from Marvel? Really?

Besides, I have my problems with Bendis. His incredibly slow build-up in terms of pace in his comics is one of them.

I'm not sure he'd be right for the book.
    electr1cgoblin asked me which writer would guarantee a long run, and I simply provided the answer.

I have my reservations about his writing too, but he got tons of praise for Alias and he's a superstar writer and just thinking about his coming over to DC, the book he picks to write will be selling like hotcakes.

He could be right, regardless of his slowburn storytelling, because he's a character writer first.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskelle View Post
    Can't agree on the Crime Bible/occult stuff, all that garbage is one of the biggest millstones around the character's neck and needs to be buried, or at least go away for a long while. Dumb prophecies, the ludicrous Religion of Crime nonsense, palling around with werewolves and enslaved by vampires, it just pigeonholes her in a crappy, sub-JLD ghetto.
    I think it's fantastic, because she's a military vigilante fighting in a trippy LSD-induced fableworld. It's her sphere: logic in a plane of wild imagination, full of joyful contradiction, just like comics are meant to be.

Astonishing Member

He could be right, regardless of his slowburn storytelling, because he's a character writer first.
    No he's not, he's a dialogue writer first.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    No he's not, he's a dialogue writer first.
    And what we get through the dialogue? Characters.

Astonishing Member

All I hear (or read) from Bendis dialogue is Bendis.

BANNED

You hear Bendis? Bendis? Are you sure you hear Bendis? I mean, how do you hear Bendis?
    That's classic Bendis dialogue example. It's his tic. But every writer has a tic.

You hear Bendis? Bendis? Are you sure you hear Bendis? I mean, how do you hear Bendis?
    That's classic Bendis dialogue example. It's his tic. But every writer has a tic.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebum View Post
    No one ever said 'anybody else will suck' when it comes to writing Batwoman.

That's a gross misinterpretation of what was stated.
    I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else had said just that. It did seem like only Greg Rucka will do for some folks, and I would like to move beyond that thinking.

Colleen Coover. She's bisexual and wrote Gingerbread Girl, which is one of my favorite web comics.
    Thank you. I will take your word for it that she's a good match. I think we can probably agree that, while I liked his initial issues, Marc wasn't ideally suited for this book.