View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the AXIS #7 reveal?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hooray! Glad that Wanda and Pietro aren't being linked to Magneto any longer.

25 10.50%
  • Boo! Angry that Marvel would do such a thing and ignore years of comic history.

150 63.03%
  • Meh. Indifferent about Marvel's latest reveal.

63 26.47%
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It wasn't until later that Byrne and Claremont got the OK to change it. The only thing they used as the link was when Neal Adams was the first artist to draw Magneto without his costume. We never saw much of Magneto's features since he never took off his helmet until that Savage Land story in the Thomas/Adams run. Hair coloring is a pretty weak link to go by IMO. His dad could just as easily been the MU version of Steve Martin.
    Not exactly....first Claremont had next to nothing to do with it. It was Steven Grant, John Byrne, and Mark Gruenwald, essentially. Then the out and out reveal was in the Vision and The Scarlet Witch mini-series written by Bill Mantlo.

Full story is detailed here.

Byrne did not like the Miss America and Whizzer reveal, so after he thought about it some, he approached Mark Gruenwald about using the idea for a possible Quicksilver story in Marvel Premiere. Meanwhile, Steven Grant also disliked the Whizzer/Miss America plot, and he ALSO theorized that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were Magneto’s children (Grant came at it from a different angle). And he, too, approached Mark Gruenwald and Avengers editor at the time, Roger Stern, about the idea.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    At least it doesn't have the immorality that OMD did.
    Agreed. And if anything, I'm sure Magneto will ultimately end up breathing a sigh of relief that he's no longer related to that sack of crazy.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

The anger part of this poll must really make marvel happy. You don't do this sort of retcon without knowing they'll be a lot of anger and I believe that the marvel writers absolutely love getting the fans angry. If that part of the poll wasn't ahead of the other parts they'd most likely be disappointed.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The anger part of this poll must really make marvel happy. You don't do this sort of retcon without knowing they'll be a lot of anger and I believe that the marvel writers absolutely love getting the fans angry. If that part of the poll wasn't ahead of the other parts they'd most likely be disappointed.
    They don't always like it, I mean look at the AXIS sales and reception.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hutchimus Prime View Post
    Not exactly....first Claremont had next to nothing to do with it. It was Steven Grant, John Byrne, and Mark Gruenwald, essentially. Then the out and out reveal was in the Vision and The Scarlet Witch mini-series written by Bill Mantlo.

Full story is detailed here.
    Thanks.. I did read that a while back but for some reason I thought Claremont was part of it too. I guess he just had no objections with it and included it in his X-Men stories.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-11-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Ultimate Member

I'm not bothered by the politics between Disney and Fox but i don't like this "retcon of a retcon".

Granted we don't know the full story, it just seems unnecessary IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Sins past was Gwen Stacy having an affair with Norman Osbourne and getting pregnant with his magic babies.
    Ah yes, I remember that now. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    In other words the leadership views the public as morons.
    Disney thinks their consumers are as stupid as Disney themselves are.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Brevoort in typical damage control mode. "Calm the fans until they forget about this".
    And that's the beautiful thing here: every trick they have in the book isn't going to work on this one. They can't do anything to avoid the damage they're doing to themselves. They've already irrevocably hurt perception of them, the only question is how much worse will it have to get across the months and years to come before they can't take it anymore and set things right.

Personally, I really like the twins not being Magneto's children any more. Brevoort is right when he says their history is pretty suspect. The Magneto paternity was a retcon itself.
    Letter writing does help though. They would take notice if enough people complained. But I feel it is too early in the game to know for sure what the final outcome of this is. Wanda's spell could have been faulty, Doom could have put a spell of protection around Magneto, etc.
    They'll also have to take notice if they take a massive financial blow they can't ignore, which is what I'm seeing from everywhere I look. Letter writing does nothing with a company like Disney. The only language they understand is money and the fact that a decision based on ego and greed isn't going to give them more of what they made the change to get in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post
    People should calm down.

We don't even know if this is what we see...

It could be a Skrull impersonating Magneto... The spell could had some flaws... It could be anything.

We should wait a few time to see if this is really true or not.

You know that the "books" can always create some weird story.

People in the net is going crazy just because a thing like that. Lol. Read books for the past 20 years and I love Marvel... And I don't think this reaction is really necessary...
    No, we know what Disney and Marvel are doing here. There's no reason to be calm. This isn't just a stupid story decision, it's a stupid story decision motivated entirely by greed and ego on Disney's part, and it's done with the greatest of disrespect toward the very people that support Marvel and have given them the money and attention that brought Marvel where it is today. Disney didn't consider for one second what their consumers would want, or how their fans would feel. They only saw their own spite and the fantasy image of more money. This kind of behavior is not the type that should be left to its own devices. What is Disney going to put on the chopping block next without thinking for one second about their own consumers?

Also, sorry if that feels like I'm going after you personally, that's not my intent at all.

I've seen some people on Tumblr referring to Wanda and Pietro in the coming Avengers film as whitewashing their Romani heritage out of the characters. The initial reactions I've seen in this vein are not pretty for Disney and Marvel's future and perception of them. Even if you're someone that thinks those people are overreacting, you can't deny that they have an impact in cases like this one.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-11-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Indeed, it's criminal that AXIS was even allowed but sadly many will buy stuff like AXIS because it's an "Event" and they don't want to miss what's happening to their "Favorite characters".
    I'm learning everything I need to know about AXIS from this message board.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Yes they do. That's why you vote with your wallet, not along party lines. Buy good books, ignore bad books, bit don't spite an entire company because they publish one book you don't care for. I couldn't give any less of a crap about 616 Tony Stark and his Superior Iron Man direction, but I still buy Marvel books because they print Ms. Marvel, my #1 title every month.
    The only thing that would get me to stop buying Marvel books is if they kill off Magik, and even than I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to stop reading Ms. Marvel.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    The only thing that would get me to stop buying Marvel books is if they kill off Magik, and even than I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to stop reading Ms. Marvel.
    Technically Magik was killed off in Uncanny X-Men Annual #1.

BANNED

Technically Magik was killed off in Uncanny X-Men Annual #1.
    Alternate future versions don't count.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Ah yes, I remember that now. Thanks for reminding me.

Disney thinks their consumers are as stupid as Disney themselves are.

And that's the beautiful thing here: every trick they have in the book isn't going to work on this one. They can't do anything to avoid the damage they're doing to themselves. They've already irrevocably hurt perception of them, the only question is how much worse will it have to get across the months and years to come before they can't take it anymore and set things right.

They'll also have to take notice if they take a massive financial blow they can't ignore, which is what I'm seeing from everywhere I look. Letter writing does nothing with a company like Disney. The only language they understand is money and the fact that a decision based on ego and greed isn't going to give them more of what they made the change to get in the first place.

No, we know what Disney and Marvel are doing here. There's no reason to be calm. This isn't just a stupid story decision, it's a stupid story decision motivated entirely by greed and ego on Disney's part, and it's done with the greatest of disrespect toward the very people that support Marvel and have given them the money and attention that brought Marvel where it is today. Disney didn't consider for one second what their consumers would want, or how their fans would feel. They only saw their own spite and the fantasy image of more money. This kind of behavior is not the type that should be left to its own devices. What is Disney going to put on the chopping block next without thinking for one second about their own consumers?

Also, sorry if that feels like I'm going after you personally, that's not my intent at all.

I've seen some people on Tumblr referring to Wanda and Pietro in the coming Avengers film as whitewashing their Romani heritage out of the characters. The initial reactions I've seen in this vein are not pretty for Disney and Marvel's future and perception of them. Even if you're someone that thinks those people are overreacting, you can't deny that they have an impact in cases like this one.
    Don't interpret what you see on message boards and social media covering comics as representative of the comic book fan community as a whole. Some people avoid them like the plague because of trolling. There's been some pretty vicious incidents and it was the main reason why this entire board was rebooted. We have to realize that we are most likely the minority opinion so I wouldn't count those chickens just yet. Fans are creatures of habit and will still make that trek to the LCS or buy that digital copy so they can have something else to go to an MB and rant about.

Extraordinary Member

Yet MCU has no Mutants and Marvel is pushing the Inhumans. Making QS and SW both Inhumans helps promote Inhumans the Movie more than AoS could ever do.
    SHIELD is already doing the Inhuman thing so I think the Miracle Twins will have a different origin.

Not true. Recent studies of their DNA link them back to northern India. They did migrate in medieval times from the East into Europe. Their language has some similarities to the regions in Northern India.
    That true for their roots, but MyriVerse point is still revelant, simply because today lot of Roma are genetically close to the Europeans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_...netic_evidence

"Genetic findings in 2012 suggest the Romani originated in northwest India and migrated as a group.[81][82][92] According to a genetic study in 2012, the ancestors of present scheduled tribes and scheduled caste populations of northern India, traditionally referred to collectively as the Ḍoma, are the likely ancestral populations of modern European Roma.[93] In December 2012, additional findings appeared to confirm the "Roma came from a single group that left northwestern India about 1,500 years ago,"[82] They reached the Balkans about 900 years ago,[81] and then spread throughout Europe. The team found that, despite some isolation, the Roma were "genetically similar to other Europeans."[81][82]"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    Alternate future versions don't count.
    I've really lost track of who's died when. Is there a database somewhere?