View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the AXIS #7 reveal?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hooray! Glad that Wanda and Pietro aren't being linked to Magneto any longer.

25 10.50%
  • Boo! Angry that Marvel would do such a thing and ignore years of comic history.

150 63.03%
  • Meh. Indifferent about Marvel's latest reveal.

63 26.47%
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDesign View Post
    Everyone saying "they are not mutants"
    should do one of the following....

a) post a source
    b) stop posting conjecture as though it were fact
    That ought to help deflect some of the flak.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The only relevant source for them not being mutants is that in Avengers 2, they can't be mutants. Is it speculation that marvel will attempt some form of synergy? Sure, but they've been doing this for a while. They like things to line up with the movies around the time when the movie comes out so all the "new readers" don't get confused when they inevitably flock to comic book stores after seeing the movie.
    The mad, mad rush as millions of people go from the movie theater to their nearest comic book store and buy approximately all the books is always a sight to behold. Everyone knows comic book stores need to call in the Coast Guard to help them handle the insane demands of freshly minted readers and the risk of riots that ensue. All the big news networks talk about it with every comic book film release, after all. It's second only to Black Friday.

I'm not mocking you there, to be clear, but Disney's line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    But see this is my problem how do you know it isn't good storytelling and or overtaking creativity the story hasn't happened yet.
    We know because we just read it, just yesterday, and nothing Disney or Marvel try to pull has any chance of ever changing that fact.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    But see this is my problem how do you know it isn't good storytelling and or overtaking creativity the story hasn't happened yet.
    Well seeing how Remender wrote AXIS 7, the sloppy way it was revealed, and the fact heīs still in charge of it after AXIS has given me some clues. But what really did it for me was the frankly crass way in which Brevoort tried to make up some "mystery" about the story just to sell Uncanny Avengers #1 both on his tumblr and on his interview, itīs his job after all. Also even if Brevroort didnīt agree with the retcon, and he does, thereīs not much he can do about the commercial reasons behind this. Same with Remender, I like some of his work and I like his ideas as a writer but this particular matter has been handled clumsily imo.

Anyway as I said I am just dissapointed and thatīs it. It isnīt that I would not like for Marvel to prove me wrong but I simply dont think thatīs the case.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-11-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    For one thing, I've also posted that it's too early in the game to tell for sure where this is going. Even Brevoort has mentioned that much. Besides, I get the same arguments from posters that tell FF fans to stop griping about the changes that have been announced about Victor Domachev in Fox's movie, mostly from Aces and I believe you piped in on that one too.

I happen to like this change and want to see Pietro and Wanda not having links to Magneto. It's a retcon of a retcon and adds further mystery to their origin. I like that part of it too. At best if they decide to keep Magneto's blood ties, he's only the sperm donor and didn't raise them anyway. It's not like they ever wanted to change from their adopted name of Maximoff to Eisenhardt or Lensherr.
    It's great that you're fine with the change, but according to the poll, you're a minority which is why most people are complaining including me. First of all: I actually don't like their convoluted origin to begin with. I'm fine with what they did in the the Ultimate line where Pietro and Wanda are the children of Magneto from the get-go. I'm really not keen on the "our dad is Django Maximoff, but wait! He's actually our adopted dad, our real dad is actually the Whizzer and we were born in Wundagore amidst humanoid cows and gods of chaos. Whoops, false alarm, it's actually Magneto etc...." I'm actually TOTALLY FINE with never revisiting their origin ever again because it's a mess already and I'm sick of that storyline. If they're so gung-ho about revisiting origins, why not do Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther, Hercules (etc) ? Those heroes don't have three sets of parents yet, so there's room to add some drama there.
    Secondly, Magneto as a father was a great story idea. There aren't a whole lot of super villains with children, and there aren't a whole lot of heroes with supervillains as parents. I always found the family dynamic interesting precisely because they weren't a happy / stable family. They hated each other, and yet they're driven to help each other. I can understand people saying that having Magneto as a father limited the characters, but it's not like EVERY Pietro and Wanda story needed to have Magneto in it. I feel like this move was throwing the baby out with the bath water. If Marvel didn't want people to associate Pietro and Wanda with Magneto, all they had to do was write stories that didn't include him. They didn't need to actually sever their bonds. Now we have to go over the origins of the twins a FOURTH time. Talk about recycling stories....

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Doom was behind Decimation as of Children's Crusade.

Anyway here is what Brevoort said.
    This seems curious to me. The only reason Polaris would be affected, near or far, is if she were still family. Is Brevoort hinting that all is not what it seems here?

Either way, I'll wait until the conclusion of this journey to determine what I think of it. To those who have drawn the comparison, this isn't a Sins Past or a One More Day--this is too ambiguous. It raises questions, but doesn't inherently contradict or change what came before. I don't know what to make of it myself.

Here is the question going forward. What exactly do they do for their new origins story coming up?

That will determine in alot of ways along with how long the studio wars go on over them how long it lasts. Are they going to be reveled to be say for example Black Bolt and Madusa's children in the comics and the films? If so then it might stick around for decades. If they have a clear father and mother in the movies that is made the same as in the comics then I suspect it sticks as long as the movie characters are around.

If they are some sort of creation by the HE or altered in some way then its a very different matter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    This seems curious to me. The only reason Polaris would be affected, near or far, is if she were still family. Is Brevoort hinting that all is not what it seems here?

Either way, I'll wait until the conclusion of this journey to determine what I think of it. To those who have drawn the comparison, this isn't a Sins Past or a One More Day--this is too ambiguous. It raises questions, but doesn't inherently contradict or change what came before. I don't know what to make of it myself.
    We haven't gotten the full story yet of course about the level of changes they intend to make. There are alot of questions like why have Wanda and Lorna interact as sisters right before Axis and then to undo it a few months later? Its counterintutitive and just certain to raise the level of fan anger at removing their relationship, the same goes for building up a brother/sister relationship between Pietro and Lorna over the past year and a half.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-11-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    It's great that you're fine with the change, but according to the poll, you're a minority which is why most people are complaining including me. First of all: I actually don't like their convoluted origin to begin with. I'm fine with what they did in the the Ultimate line where Pietro and Wanda are the children of Magneto from the get-go. I'm really not keen on the "our dad is Django Maximoff, but wait! He's actually our adopted dad, our real dad is actually the Whizzer and we were born in Wundagore amidst humanoid cows and gods of chaos. Whoops, false alarm, it's actually Magneto etc...." I'm actually TOTALLY FINE with never revisiting their origin ever again because it's a mess already and I'm sick of that storyline. If they're so gung-ho about revisiting origins, why not do Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther, Hercules (etc) ? Those heroes don't have three sets of parents yet, so there's room to add some drama there.
    Secondly, Magneto as a father was a great story idea. There aren't a whole lot of super villains with children, and there aren't a whole lot of heroes with supervillains as parents. I always found the family dynamic interesting precisely because they weren't a happy / stable family. They hated each other, and yet they're driven to help each other. I can understand people saying that having Magneto as a father limited the characters, but it's not like EVERY Pietro and Wanda story needed to have Magneto in it. I feel like this move was throwing the baby out with the bath water. If Marvel didn't want people to associate Pietro and Wanda with Magneto, all they had to do was write stories that didn't include him. They didn't need to actually sever their bonds. Now we have to go over the origins of the twins a FOURTH time. Talk about recycling stories....

I'm really not that crazy about the idea either but I still want to see how this plays out before making a call on whether or not it's a change that makes sense. A lot of their past history doesn't. I am of the opinion that the link helped Magneto, whose character was in the midst of this rehab project that Claremont started to elevate his status in the MU. Wanda was already a cast member in a monthly for quite a few years and I don't think it really helped her at all. Bendis made things worse with Disassembled and there are a lot of posters here who really can't stand her being linked to the X-Men at all. I don't see that as a plus if they just want her around as an object of scorn. There's a whole thread on the X-boards that just shows her getting clobbered by Hope or Rogue or some other X-Man.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-11-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Incredible Member

I think it's extremely dumb that the only reason this came about was because of a pissing contest between Marvel Studios & Fox but I'm not completely furious about it to the point where it destroys any enjoyment I'll derive from stories featuring Magneto, Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch going forward. (or in the past honestly)

With Magneto's (retconned) ties to WWII, he would chronologically be extremely aged by now (though of course his mutant physiology keeps him younger- presumably.) Thus, he would have to have been a much older man than his wife/the mother who birthed Wanda and Pietro, if both of them are presumed to be in thelr late 20s at this point. The whole sliding timeline thing is not kind to characters who have origins in fixed points in history. That, I suspect is a big reason for the reveal, and the Fox/Disney legal issues are tangential.
    Side note- if you can also get rid of the creepy Magneto/Rogue romance, that would be cool.

Amazing Member

i...i really don't care about quicksilver and scarlet witch being connected or not being connected to magneto. their relationship just doesn't matter one way or another.

technically polaris is still mags' child though. that will make him feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    With Magneto's (retconned) ties to WWII, he would chronologically be extremely aged by now (though of course his mutant physiology keeps him younger- presumably.) Thus, he would have to have been a much older man than his wife/the mother who birthed Wanda and Pietro, if both of them are presumed to be in thelr late 20s at this point. The whole sliding timeline thing is not kind to characters who have origins in fixed points in history. That, I suspect is a big reason for the reveal, and the Fox/Disney legal issues are tangential.
    Side note- if you can also get rid of the creepy Magneto/Rogue romance, that would be cool.
    Magneto has been de-aged more than once in the comics.
    Last edited by autbey; 12-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    You seem to have forgotten much of the history here. Just a few items you're not accounting for:

1) Magneto having been de-aged into a baby by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, then brought back to his physical prime by Erik the Red (Shi'ar secret agent version). This was post- the formation of the X-Men, so likely no more than a decade ago, of course.

2) Magda being fully as tied to the WWII time period as Magneto himself, since the two knew each other prior to the war and then Magnus rescued her from the camps before the end of it.

3) It being established even before the Magneto as daddy theory was advanced by virtue of Bova's story (back when they were still saying it was the Whizzer and Miss America), that the twins may be physiologically pretty young, but that they were held in suspended animation at Wundagore Mountain for an undetermined period of time before being given to the Maximoffs.

#3 is the weakest of those, of course, as originally Bova said the suspended animation was only for 'days'. But still, decoupling them from Magneto doesn't actually help the chronology problem at all, because it's still canon that everybody thought Mags was their dad for a long time and weren't scratching their heads about the twins' ages. In order for that to be the case, there would have to be some reason everybody found it plausible that they were conceived so long ago despite both appearing to be young' uns.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, that's NOT the reason. If it were, then they could have done this years ago. No the fact that this was done less than sixth months before the big movie with them in it, where they don't have the legal rights to use Magneto, is the key. The timing is WAY too convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, that's NOT the reason. If it were, then they could have done this years ago. No the fact that this was done less than sixth months before the big movie with them in it, where they don't have the legal rights to use Magneto, is the key. The timing is WAY too convenient.
    I do wonder when exactly this decision was made assuming it is what the comic is promoting. Given all the significant character developments that Lorna/Wanda and Pietro/Lorna have had in the past year or so it sort of undid much of the past year and a half worth of storytelling on the x-titles for the three of them.

With Magneto he is no longer a grand-dad to three kids (two magic and one real)

I obviously don't think he connected to Billy and Wiccan the way he connected to Luna.

Of course I can think of a few dozen other Marvel stories that sort of get rendered moot at best.

Last edited by jmc247; 12-11-2014 at 08:05 PM.

BANNED

With retcons you don't really worry about how many stories you've rendered moot or how much history you've changed or even how plausible it is, retcons serve the story of the moment and to heck with everything else.