View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the AXIS #7 reveal?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hooray! Glad that Wanda and Pietro aren't being linked to Magneto any longer.

25 10.50%
  • Boo! Angry that Marvel would do such a thing and ignore years of comic history.

150 63.03%
  • Meh. Indifferent about Marvel's latest reveal.

63 26.47%
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Quicksilver: I have two sisters Alex.

Marvel/Disney: Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Editorial mandate I'll give you (thanks, Joe!), but is there anything other than ridiculous paranoia and a pathetic sports rivalry mentality among theoretical adults who ought to know better to back up the rest? (Hint: That's a rhetorical question, the answer is "No".)
    it did noyt harm any big name characters but it gutted the whole idea of Xaviers dream, which was somewhot of a character in and of itself, and the reason the X-men were a team at all.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    Fox can't use the Marvel NOW X-Men.

They fall under a different claim than non Marvel NOW X-Men did. Why they had the Marvel NOW everywhere.
    Where ever did ou get that idea from? have you read the contract or did you make it up yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by dabig2 View Post
    But continue on with the wailing and gnashing of teeth that Marvel is out for mutants because of the movies.
    the problem is that there is no trustworthy sources of information, Marvel lies whenever convenient, and will stridently defend those lies even after they are obliviously proven to be lies.

So with No credible information but what we seen in the books themselves people will make there own assumptions. They might be mistaken but it makes more sense than listening to people who think lying is part of their job,

The only answer to speculation is real information for a trustworthy source, and a source like that doesn't exist for this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Simple, this is their OMD.
    More like their vOMIT, Most of OMD was well written at least
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 12-14-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Merged

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/jmc247/All%20New%20X-Factor/irony.jpg~original

I'm kinda wondering how Peter David feels about this considering how many great developments he made with the siblings in All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Someone needs to photoshop Mickey Mouse into that image saying that:
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I'm kinda wondering how Peter David feels about this considering how many great developments he made with the siblings in All-New X-Factor
    Well, i dont think that it would be matter much, as the Summers-Grey family shows, you dont need that everyone is actually related to be a family.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this was coming. He was told he only had Pietro until the Avengers needed him again in time for 2015. And he and Brevoort hinted that there was more to it than just not being able to use him in both books. It's possible he used X-Factor to clear up some stuff he wanted to see with this character - his relationships with Lorna, Crystal, Luna - before those relationships become mostly irrelevant next year. (Yes, Luna is still his daughter, but I don't think we're going to see much of Pietro or Wanda as parents when the MCU has them as only a little older than teenagers.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Marvel themselves messed with their origin many years ago, Prince of Orphans

QFT...a lot of younger fans don't realize that Bob and Madeline Frank were originally given to be Wanda and Pietro's parents. It does make some sense in a comic book sciencey way since Pietro and Whizzer are both speedsters. Neither Wanda or Pietro have powers similar to Magneto's. When you think about it Wanda's power doesn't really have to be a mutant power anyway. Its been out there for years that she is a nexus being and her magic skills can be taught.

It wasn't until later that Byrne and Claremont got the OK to change it. The only thing they used as the link was when Neal Adams was the first artist to draw Magneto without his costume. We never saw much of Magneto's features since he never took off his helmet until that Savage Land story in the Thomas/Adams run. Hair coloring is a pretty weak link to go by IMO. His dad could just as easily been the MU version of Steve Martin.
    Well apparently Whizzer is a mutant as well (not Miss America who Wanda resembles) & his son Nuklo.

Writer Roy Thomas reintroduced the Golden Age Whizzer in Giant-Size Avengers #1 (Aug. 1974). Two years later, in The Avengers Annual #6 (Nov. 1976), writer Gerry Conway reinterpreted the character's origin and history so that the "transfusion of mongoose blood" was not the source of the power, but the factor that "triggered a latent mutant ability".

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Well apparently Whizzer is a mutant as well (not Miss America who Wanda resembles) & his son Nuklo.

Writer Roy Thomas reintroduced the Golden Age Whizzer in Giant-Size Avengers #1 (Aug. 1974). Two years later, in The Avengers Annual #6 (Nov. 1976), writer Gerry Conway reinterpreted the character's origin and history so that the "transfusion of mongoose blood" was not the source of the power, but the factor that "triggered a latent mutant ability".
    That mongoose blood story just had to go away you have to admit .

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Miss America was a mutant too. I remember the Handbooks giving the same explanation of her powers like her Husband's, "the lightning that struck her triggered a latent mutant ability".
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Miss America was a mutant too. I remember the Handbooks giving the same explanation of her powers like her Husband's, "the lightning that struck her triggered a latent mutant ability".
    I think the link with the twins and their parents grew to be a problem because of the longevity of these titles. When Reed and Ben talked about serving along with Nick Fury in WWII it wasn't that odd because the story was written in 1963 so they would all be around 40ish. Now you need to have a workaround for the character living that long like the Infinity Forumula or Cap being in a block of ice, etc. With the twins link to Wundagore they could come up with all kinds of new wrinkles to this.

BANNED

I don't consider the origins of Miss America or the Whizzer to be retcons as much as they are clarifications. Back when those characters were written origin stories were written differently and very few people back then knew what the word 'mutant' meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the link with the twins and their parents grew to be a problem because of the longevity of these titles. When Reed and Ben talked about serving along with Nick Fury in WWII it wasn't that odd because the story was written in 1963 so they would all be around 40ish. Now you need to have a workaround for the character living that long like the Infinity Forumula or Cap being in a block of ice, etc. With the twins link to Wundagore they could come up with all kinds of new wrinkles to this.
    Except such workarounds are common, and even if they weren't, all it takes is Marvel establishing a rule that the Marvel universe simply progresses much faster than our reality, such that 70 years our time is hardly any time at all in the Marvel universe. It's not like anyone's beating down Marvel's door demanding that this wild, crazy fictional universe full of alternate dimensions and reality-changing powers and time travel and what have you stick exclusively to the way the real world works.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason for the twins getting retconned into not being Magneto's kids anymore. None. Zero. End of story.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't consider the origins of Miss America or the Whizzer to be retcons as much as they are clarifications. Back when those characters were written origin stories were written differently and very few people back then knew what the word 'mutant' meant.
    Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short, is the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work.

Originally, The Whizzer got has powers from mongoose blood. Now it's said that the mongoose blood jump started his latent mutant powers. That is the exact definition of a retcon.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDesign View Post
    Everyone saying "they are not mutants"
    should do one of the following....

a) post a source
    b) stop posting conjecture

Quote Originally Posted by Hero Worship View Post
    Hmmm... I've been reluctant to weigh in on this, as the initial responses have been mostly emotional... understandably so though. It's just that, when feelings are raw, there's a tendency to overreact & jump to conclusions. I decided to wait 'til things calmed down a bit, before throwing in my two cents worth, but then I read this:

... and I agree with Mr. Acro, this is where I'm about at now also... skeptical. It's too early to tell, and the most obvious, predictable takeaway just doesn't seem or feel right. So I guess I'll be reserving judgement as well, 'til all is said & done, and everything's been played out.
    This is pretty much where I am. At first, my reaction was one of extreme annoyance, even anger. I've always been a big fan of the Magnus family. Thankfully, I've been too busy over the past few days to rant and rave about this, so I've had time to think it over.

Perhaps they won't confirm that Magneto isn't their father after all. As others have suggested, perhaps he wasn't affected by Wanda's spell for any reason from Doom casting a protection spell to Wanda just messing with him.

May be that when the Inversion spell is reversed, Wanda herself isn't even sure how her spell worked, so the family sets out to confirm their ties and does learn that they are related -- but in the course of that investigation, they also learn that Wanda and Pietro aren't mutants.

Which, honestly, wouldn't bother me as much as them not being Magnus's kids. If they aren't mutants, yeah, it's going to be a little odd, but not necessarily nonsensical. Given all the wackiness of their history, and the connections to Chthon, the High Evolutionary, etc., you could easily make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    Which, honestly, wouldn't bother me as much as them not being Magnus's kids. If they aren't mutants, yeah, it's going to be a little odd, but not necessarily nonsensical. Given all the wackiness of their history, and the connections to Chthon, the High Evolutionary, etc., you could easily make it work.
    Them finding out they are Inhuman was something I expected them to do and would be a retcon to fit the film, but not something that really upends the past three decades of storytelling in the comics and animated series.