View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the AXIS #7 reveal?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hooray! Glad that Wanda and Pietro aren't being linked to Magneto any longer.

25 10.50%
  • Boo! Angry that Marvel would do such a thing and ignore years of comic history.

150 63.03%
  • Meh. Indifferent about Marvel's latest reveal.

63 26.47%
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Yes, because it's Fox's fault Marvel sold them the rights to all mutants? That's a really bad excuse.
    I think even that can be fought if Marvel had a mind to. Not every character that is a mutant is a member of the X-Men team and it was my impression that is those are the rights they bought. They didn't get Namor because of it retroactively. Universal lost their rights at last I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I wish I had more time. If I did I would post several very good stories about Wanda's connection to Magneto that now just sorta seems like a group of very crazy and confused people while also making the story almost pointless. Same with Quicksilver. They also had a few instances that their mutant hertiage has played a role in story and character develpment.

Sure this could be a good thing in the longer run but the people discrediting past stories need to take the time to read them before they display their lack of knowledge on the subject matter. I'm pretty neutral on this altogether but it is a little annoying seeing comments in the vein that "it effects nothing, none of it mattered, and people have no right to be bothered by it" because all of that is incorrect in this particular instance.
    It's a bit pointless because there were stories that showed that Madeline Frank was their mother and she went to Wundagore mountain to give birth. Then they had to go back and add Magda going there at the same and also about to give birth and doing one of those baby switching plots.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    It was done to tell a more interesting story about the twins being the children of Magneto.
    Like I said in the Scarlet Witch appreciation thread, I would be totally fine with the retcon if it was done to tell a good story, but they're only doing it for the movies.
    People keep saying this, but I don't see the connection. I mean, it's an easy, knee-jerk thing to jump to, but when you examine it, it falls apart.

1) Taking "mutant" away from Wanda and Pietro doesn't suddenly pry them away from Fox. No professional film studio would construct a contract so easily circumvented.

2) If it's because publishing doesn't want the comic Avengers to feature mutants, explain Wolverine and Beast.

So what is the "movie motivation"?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think even that can be fought if Marvel had a mind to. Not every character that is a mutant is a member of the X-Men team and it was my impression that is those are the rights they bought. They didn't get Namor because of it retroactively. Universal lost their rights at last I think.
    Because when they bought the mutants, Namor was already owned by Universal I believe so he may have been excluded from the package. Though I'm not entirely sure how that worked out tbh.

Alternatively, Marvel could've just not made the creative changes? Getting into a legal battle with Fox seems like the overly complicated route.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    This is why I will hate Disney/marvel untill they pry the Xfilm rights out of Fox's cold dead hands.
    That won't change the fact that the movies would still drive the comics (or so some posters say).

Personally, I'm okay with this change. It really doesn't take that much from the three beyond Daddy drama.

Besides, this is Marvel. Everything is cyclical.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's a bit pointless because there were stories that showed that Madeline Frank was their mother and she went to Wundagore mountain to give birth. Then they had to go back and add Magda going there at the same and also about to give birth and doing one of those baby switching plots.
    I understand that but at this point there are more critical stories involving Magneto than there were with the two characters who hadn't been revelant since WWII. Which sorta suppercedes that original terrible story.
    Last edited by Trident; 12-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post

Simply put, it's when established features in comics are retconned and redesigned to align with the creative choices done in the movies.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are not mutants in the Avengers movies. They're assumed to be Inhumans. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's mutant relation in the comics (Magneto) is reversed, thus opening a doorway to explain how they can be inhumans (speculated).

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    People keep saying this, but I don't see the connection. I mean, it's an easy, knee-jerk thing to jump to, but when you examine it, it falls apart.

1) Taking "mutant" away from Wanda and Pietro doesn't suddenly pry them away from Fox. No professional film studio would construct a contract so easily circumvented.

2) If it's because publishing doesn't want the comic Avengers to feature mutants, explain Wolverine and Beast.

They are streamlining what they can to match the movies.

We have had costumes changed to match the movies, even some characters now resemble the actors under certain artists.
    We have had Nick Fury replaced by one that resembles the movie version and the original shipped off the planet.
    Everyone seems to have forgotten about the events of World War Hulk in order to put him back on the team to match up with the movies roster.
    They want new readers so they are trying to make it easier for them to jump on. They don't seem to realize that it's never going to work, if even 1 out of every 1,000 people who saw the avengers movie bought the book they be selling over 200k copies a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I understand that but at this point there are more critical stories involving Magneto than there were with the two characters who hadn't been revelant since WWII. Which sorta suppercedes that original terrible story.
    What's so terrible about it? It's the Magda thing that is convoluted. She had to be shown going to Wundagore at the same time as Madeline and both of them on the verge of giving birth. That was a stretch IMO

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    They are streamlining what they can to match the movies.

We have had costumes changed to match the movies, even some characters now resemble the actors under certain artists.
    We have had Nick Fury replaced by one that resembles the movie version and the original shipped off the planet.
    Everyone seems to have forgotten about the events of World War Hulk in order to put him back on the team to match up with the movies roster.
    They want new readers so they are trying to make it easier for them to jump on. They don't seem to realize that it's never going to work, if even 1 out of every 1,000 people who saw the avengers movie bought the book they be selling over 200k copies a month.
    As a business model I can't say that I blame them. Face it, readers of the comic books are getting older and you need an infusion of new customers eventually. I'm not that crazy about all the changes myself but they have a business to maintain and still is one chance for it to grow. Sometimes it does work like with these bulk orders of Rocket Racoon, etc. But the jury is out on how many new readers you actually gain.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-10-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    And this further development can't tell good, future stories?
    Not if this is method in which developments are to be established.

So it finally happened. Now they just need to stop being mutants and I'm set.

But, that's the thing. Sales are down even after they've released many movies. Pandering to a nonexistent audience will only drive away current readers who don't like the changes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's not necessarily an issue of whether or not they have to or not... it's more a matter of whether or not the retcon gives them a story to tell. It's why we get retcons in the first place. This stuff happens even when movies aren't a factor in the equation.

If it gives the Inhumans more stuff to work with, without adversely effecting the X books in anyway, then I don't see it as that big a deal. If it were say turning Storm or Wolverine into an Inhuman I could understand the complaints... but with Wanda, a character who was sort of retconned into Mags family in the first place, I don't think it's something to lose too much sleep over.
    Except the point here is that this retcon is (very likely) NOT being done to 'give them a story.' It's being done to make the universe fit the movies. Which is annoying on several levels and frightening on a few others.

1. It's annoying because as much as stuff needs to be changed to make it work on film, the same is true in reverse. Turning the comics into movie tie-ins is not going to help their quality.

2. It's unnecessary as several people have mentioned. It comes out of nowhere and it is pretty clearly some weird cross-media thing to appeal to a group of cross-media fans that as far as anyone can tell don't exist. The people that see both (comics and films) see both and don't care whether they're similar and the people that don't read comics have mostly not suddenly started reading comics just because star-lord is wearing his movie costume.

3. the frightening thing for X-fans and FF-fans (RIP) is of course that the MCU DOES NOT contain 2-3 of Marvel's traditionally most popular properties. These are not equal, these are the TOP properties, which is why they're the ones that were sold off in the first place. So in an attempt to pander to the crossover fans (which as I mentioned don't seem to really exist) they're slowly shaving off stuff from their most popular properties (like this) and finding excuses to do things like have the X-men magically be the villains of their last two big events even if it makes no sense. (Why do the Avengers still remember that villains are villains while the X-men suddenly think Apocalypse is their best bud? Inversion doesn't even make internal sense.)

4. The universe cannot contain both the mutants and the inhumans as Marvel is trying to push them right now. They're identical. If you read the original press releases from Marvel's inhumans push they're basically plagiarism of years of X-men material. It would be lawsuit-worthy if it wasn't Marvel doing it to itself.

Despite all of the above, I don't really believe the full conspiracy theories that Marvel is going to cancel the X-books or anything. Despite Marvel's best efforts, they still constitute half or more of their comic profits. If they cancel the X-books they'd pretty much have to shutter the whole comics arm of the company. I think they'll just let the X-men limp along without putting real effort into them for years until, ideally, they DON'T constitute such a huge part of their profits (which could take decades) at which point they could safely cancel them, or just let them limp forever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Yeah, Captain America is so tied up to his movie persona that he's a black man in the comics now...
    I'm a fan of comic Wanda as well I just never cared for the blood ties to Magneto. Plus wouldn't that analogue work if the movie version mimicked the old man Rogers instead of Falcon.