View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the AXIS #7 reveal?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hooray! Glad that Wanda and Pietro aren't being linked to Magneto any longer.

25 10.50%
  • Boo! Angry that Marvel would do such a thing and ignore years of comic history.

150 63.03%
  • Meh. Indifferent about Marvel's latest reveal.

63 26.47%
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    But, that's the thing. Sales are down even after they've released many movies. Pandering to a nonexistent audience will only drive away current readers who don't like the changes.
    What happens when they age out and drop the comic buying habit? New blood has to come from somewhere so I can't blame them for trying for business reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What happens when they age out and drop the comic buying habit? New blood has to come from somewhere so I can't blame them for trying for business reasons.
    If they could get new readers this wouldn't be an issue, I can see publishing going away eventually. It's not like Disney needs them anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What's so terrible about it? It's the Magda thing that is convoluted. She had to be shown going to Wundagore at the same time as Madeline and both of them on the verge of giving birth. That was a stretch IMO
    I didn't really care for it. Besides that it's 2014 having two WWII characters give birth to kids who are currently still in their late 20's to early 30's sorta cripples the characters. With Magneto at least, we know his powers along with a few age reversal effects we know that the twins could of been born anytime in between those. Not only that but there are other things "off" about the history of Ms. America and the Wizzse being together at all that makes the Origns of the twins out place.

It was a bad story that eventually got better due to Magneto and allowing the twins to be mutants.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Yeah, Captain America is so tied up to his movie persona that he's a black man in the comics now...
    And Star-Lord is so tied up in his movie persona that he's wearing his EXACT movie costume. Don't be ridiculous. No one is saying that as of 2 months ago, everything in the comics is now identical to the movies. That's stupid. There are still huge, gaping differences, but there is also a large set of very obvious similarities, with the guardians being perhaps the most obvious, but this being a close 2nd.

Also, don't count the Cap and Thor eggs before they hatch. There have been a number of industry analysts suggesting that since Evans and Hemsworth could be done soon, Falcon and a female actor could step in to take their places. These comics changes that you use to defend how different the comics are have a very strong possibility of actually being test-runs for things that are going to happen in the movies. Which, for the record, I wouldn't actually mind. I kind of like falcon cap and lady thor, but that's separate from the issue here.

I just wanted to stop by real fast to say that I'm sorry to all Wanda and Pietro fans that Disney forced this awfulness through over petty greed-focused reasons. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't official at all, just some suits trying to order things around to suit their wishes. In response to Disney's antics today, I'm swearing off everything Disney except for stuff that explicitly involves Polaris. The Star Wars films are iffy, but more than likely I'm going to swear off those as well. I'm heavily leaning in that direction.

It will be fixed. It'll take a decade or two, but eventually someone that has some sense will bring things back to the way they should be. Until then, I'll be buying Days of Future Past and watching it for the first time later today (last film I saw was X2), I'll see Fantastic Four even if it sucks, and so on. I'll be making absolutely sure that the money Disney so desperately wants from me goes to the exact people Disney doesn't want to see getting it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    And Star-Lord is so tied up in his movie persona that he's wearing his EXACT movie costume. Don't be ridiculous. No one is saying that as of 2 months ago, everything in the comics is now identical to the movies. That's stupid. There are still huge, gaping differences, but there is also a large set of very obvious similarities, with the guardians being perhaps the most obvious, but this being a close 2nd.

Also, don't count the Cap and Thor eggs before they hatch. There have been a number of industry analysts suggesting that since Evans and Hemsworth could be done soon, Falcon and a female actor could step in to take their places. These comics changes that you use to defend how different the comics are have a very strong possibility of actually being test-runs for things that are going to happen in the movies. Which, for the record, I wouldn't actually mind. I kind of like falcon cap and lady thor, but that's separate from the issue here.
    Costume =\= character personality and overall story points.

And your second paragraph would indicate that comics control the direction of the movies, not vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    It's true that we'll have to wait and see, but dumping 30 years of stories for the sake of the movies is a pretty bold move. I imagine it'll be the first of many.
    32 years of stories. The first family story between Wanda, Pietro (Crystal + Luna) and Magneto came out in 1982.

I didn't think they would pull the trigger on it because Marvel has sent decades promoting the twins family connection to Magneto. In comparison to Wanda and Pietro... Lorna was a bit player in House of M and she had no family role in AvX while the twins family connections were played to the hilt and that was two years ago.

But, in the end I don't blame Marvel publishing for this as I don't think it was up to them.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    And your second paragraph would indicate that comics control the direction of the movies, not vice-versa.
    Unless of course these things were decided due to the knowledge these actors wont be continuing in their roles and are simply preparing for it.

Bluebird

Did they ever explain why Star-Lord switched to the trenchcoat and mask he wears in the movie?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Unless of course these things were decided due to the knowledge these actors wont be continuing in their roles and are simply preparing for it.
    That's some next level paranoia, right there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Did they ever explain why Star-Lord switched to the trenchcoat and mask he wears in the movie?
    I don't think characters switching costumes (at least the male characters) are usually big story points.

I admit I didn't think they would fully pull the trigger. I expected them to do something along the lines of uncover Magda was an Inhuman, but not a full retcon.

I do wonder if DoFP didn't include Quicksilver if they would have fully pulled the trigger as this actually hurts Pietro and Lorna's crossover interest as they are fulling snipping not just their connection as mutants (yah that is coming), but connection to the x-books as well which has been kept close over the years mainly benefiting Wanda and Quicksilver.

For those who blame the x-books for Decimation, that was an editorial mandate to benefit the Avengers titles and did nothing other then hurt the x-titles for years.

Except the point here is that this retcon is (very likely) NOT being done to 'give them a story.' It's being done to make the universe fit the movies. Which is annoying on several levels and frightening on a few others.

1. It's annoying because as much as stuff needs to be changed to make it work on film, the same is true in reverse. Turning the comics into movie tie-ins is not going to help their quality.

2. It's unnecessary as several people have mentioned. It comes out of nowhere and it is pretty clearly some weird cross-media thing to appeal to a group of cross-media fans that as far as anyone can tell don't exist. The people that see both (comics and films) see both and don't care whether they're similar and the people that don't read comics have mostly not suddenly started reading comics just because star-lord is wearing his movie costume.

3. the frightening thing for X-fans and FF-fans (RIP) is of course that the MCU DOES NOT contain 2-3 of Marvel's traditionally most popular properties. These are not equal, these are the TOP properties, which is why they're the ones that were sold off in the first place. So in an attempt to pander to the crossover fans (which as I mentioned don't seem to really exist) they're slowly shaving off stuff from their most popular properties (like this) and finding excuses to do things like have the X-men magically be the villains of their last two big events even if it makes no sense. (Why do the Avengers still remember that villains are villains while the X-men suddenly think Apocalypse is their best bud? Inversion doesn't even make internal sense.)

4. The universe cannot contain both the mutants and the inhumans as Marvel is trying to push them right now. They're identical. If you read the original press releases from Marvel's inhumans push they're basically plagiarism of years of X-men material. It would be lawsuit-worthy if it wasn't Marvel doing it to itself.

Despite all of the above, I don't really believe the full conspiracy theories that Marvel is going to cancel the X-books or anything. Despite Marvel's best efforts, they still constitute half or more of their comic profits. If they cancel the X-books they'd pretty much have to shutter the whole comics arm of the company. I think they'll just let the X-men limp along without putting real effort into them for years until, ideally, they DON'T constitute such a huge part of their profits (which could take decades) at which point they could safely cancel them, or just let them limp forever.
    In all fairness Evan was a student at the Jean Grey School for some time before becoming Poccy. So he was their buddy.

Though I'll agree them putting him in charge seems pretty forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    He switched back to the mask. As for the trenchcoat, well, it looks comfy. And generally, writers don't feel a need to give a character a lengthy justification for changing their clothes.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I didn't really care for it. Besides that it's 2014 having two WWII characters give birth to kids who are currently still in their late 20's to early 30's sorta cripples the characters. With Magneto at least, we know his powers along with a few age reversal effects we know that the twins could of been born anytime in between those. Not only that but there are other things "off" about the history of Ms. America and the Wizzse being together at all that makes the Origns of the twins out place.

It was a bad story that eventually got better due to Magneto and allowing the twins to be mutants.
    Sure, you can do that with Magneto but how about Magda? You're still dealing with older characters. Marvel took care of that IIRC in a story that has the twins being in suspended animation for a while. But in the movies, Magneto is the elderly Ian McKellan. Fassbender is being used in stories taking place in the past.