Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spider-Man & The X-Men #1 Spoilers/Discussion

Not a bad first issue, albeit it took me forever to read with all that dialogue! I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.

spoilers:
    The issue opens with Storm flying Spider-Man to the Xavier School. She isn't sure he should be teaching anything at a mutant school, but it was in Logan's will to make him a counselor. Only Spidey knows he's there to find a student who is working for the bad guys. He arrives and Unus the Untouchable is there and the X-Men are fighting him. Spidey lays down some quips and takes out Unus.

Spidey asks Toad what happened to the super team he made with frog man. Says he'd rather tend to the landscape at the school.

Spidey unpacks and then goes to class. The class is made up of the kids he suspects could be bad. Hellion, Rockslide, Shark Girl, Glob, No Girl, Eye-Boy and Ernst. They want to do Danger Room stuff but Spidey disagrees since danger is something he tries to avoid. A bamf takes his shirt off, then we cut to the Danger Room. They are fighting but Rockslide at one point pushes him into danger. Spidey assumes he's the bad student.

They go to a museum to look at dinosaur bones and run into Stegron. They fight and seem to be turning the tide when Sauron shows up. He takes them out. They wake up tied to trees at what Sauron calls New Savage Land which used to be Staten Island! To be continued!
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Unus is alive? YESSSSSS!!!

(Twice now the poor guy's been suffocated by his own force field and prematurely pronounced dead. You'd think by now everybody would realize he just "needs a minute" instead of proclaiming, "Oh no! Unus is DEAD!")
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Seeing someone other than Slott writing Spidey is a nice change.

Not enough X-knowledge on myself to tell if he was any good with X-men continuity but the little nods to Spider-Man history were cool. Seems like a fun, light book.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Well great, so the Vet X-Men wont be in this at all..It'll be about the students we've seen before.

At the very least it isn't QQ shoved in our faces again. Regardless, more power to those that buy this but I'm passing as I don't want to read about Spider-Man chilling with the X-Kids - I wanted to read about Spider-Man chilling with the actual X-Men. I already have nightmares about Spider-Man working with Kid Nova way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Not enough X-knowledge on myself to tell if he was any good with X-men continuity but the little nods to Spider-Man history were cool. Seems like a fun, light book.
    Check the X-Boards.

So far he's gotten a lot of stuff wrong about the school and X-Fans don't seem happy with how he's making the X-Vets look like hypocrites even though they've never badmouthed Spider-Man like that before.

So if you're an X-Fan than this book isn't exactly catering to you. If you're a Spider-Man fan than it MAY be worth a try if you can deal with Spider-Man hanging out with the X-Kids over the X-Men.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 12-10-2014 at 11:53 AM.

BANNED

Shame Spider-Man has to sully around these uptight X-men I'd rather read a Spider-Man Marvel team up than read about him being around the X-verse. But at least he's being written by someone other than Slott.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Shame Spider-Man has to sully around these uptight X-men I'd rather read a Spider-Man Marvel team up than read about him being around the X-verse. But at least he's being written by someone other than Slott.
    You do know that the X-School has never been like that to Spider-Man, right? They were even respectful to Spider-Man in Superior even AFTER he had beat up Wolverine.

It seems very odd for them to be so hostile considering that they've been an ally of his, heck they've teamed up with him and Spider-Man even went to Rachel for help finding his kidnapped Aunt May.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    You do know that the X-School has never been like that to Spider-Man, right? They were even respectful to Spider-Man in Superior even AFTER he had beat up Wolverine.

It seems very odd for them to be so hostile considering that they've been an ally of his, heck they've teamed up with him and Spider-Man even went to Rachel for help finding his kidnapped Aunt May.
    OMD/OMIT happened. Wiped the memory of Spider-Man's true identity and anything related to that out of the minds of everyone in the Marvel Universe, even Omega-level psychics like Rachel (and Emma, if you count her), so she probably doesn't remember anymore that he went to her for help finding his missing aunt during Mark Millar's Spider-Man saga. Still, it is a crying shame that Spider-Man isn't spending more time with the actual X-Men, but this title may last a while, so that could always come later.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Well great, so the Vet X-Men wont be in this at all..It'll be about the students we've seen before.

At the very least it isn't QQ shoved in our faces again. Regardless, more power to those that buy this but I'm passing as I don't want to read about Spider-Man chilling with the X-Kids - I wanted to read about Spider-Man chilling with the actual X-Men. I already have nightmares about Spider-Man working with Kid Nova way too much.

Check the X-Boards.

So far he's gotten a lot of stuff wrong about the school and X-Fans don't seem happy with how he's making the X-Vets look like hypocrites even though they've never badmouthed Spider-Man like that before.

So if you're an X-Fan than this book isn't exactly catering to you. If you're a Spider-Man fan than it MAY be worth a try if you can deal with Spider-Man hanging out with the X-Kids over the X-Men.
    Those people don't like anything. Sometimes I'm not even sure they like the X-Men.

Anyway, as a fan of the Daily Show and the Flop House, I went in expecting to dig this, and surprise surprise, I did. Good jokes, lighthearted art, and a long-awaited supervillain team-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Those people don't like anything. Sometimes I'm not even sure they like the X-Men.

Anyway, as a fan of the Daily Show and the Flop House, I went in expecting to dig this, and surprise surprise, I did. Good jokes, lighthearted art, and a long-awaited supervillain team-up.
    They have valid reasons not to be happy as the dialogue is very much off, Toad and Unus being there is.. Off, and other stuff. These are typically readers that read the Wolverine and the X-Men series which this is a follow up of that. So they have ever right to be concerned about such glaring mistakes. Hopefully the writer tries to fix these things and that some of the Vet X-Men show up as more than cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    OMD/OMIT happened. Wiped the memory of Spider-Man's true identity and anything related to that out of the minds of everyone in the Marvel Universe, even Omega-level psychics like Rachel (and Emma, if you count her), so she probably doesn't remember anymore that he went to her for help finding his missing aunt during Mark Millar's Spider-Man saga. Still, it is a crying shame that Spider-Man isn't spending more time with the actual X-Men, but this title may last a while, so that could always come later.
    Spider-Man mentions that they teamed up in the past so even with OMD/OMIT they still worked together and Rachel respected Spider-Man enough that she didn't forcibly read Spider-Man's mind during Superior stuff. Heck, she doesn't even do it here. Instead she asks him to accept a Psi-Scan and he refused so she didn't do it even though she easily could have.

Very suspicious.

You are right that the series could have some of the vets show up as regulars as the series goes on but I worry about that as W&TXM didn't deliver there so I don't put much stock in SM&TXM being different in that regard.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 12-10-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Spectacular Member

I have to agree that the X-Men's hostility towards Peter felt forced. Especially since he's one of the few that knows what mutants go through, despite not being one. To where they came of as elitist pricks.

I'll admit it: if the second issue of Scarlet Spiders had come out this week like I thought, I probably wouldn't have bought this issue.

And as it stands, even though I like Spidey and the X-kids, I REALLY only bought this because I knew Stegron was in the first arc. After he's gone, I'm not sure I'll continue buying it (due to my status as a broke person).

However, I think there's a lot to like in this first issue. The kids are interesting characters; I have no problem with any of them being used. I especially love seeing Ernst included and actually developed somewhat! with dialogue! It's so fun knowing she's really Cassie Nova. Also, I don't care what anyone says: I think Glob Hermann is excellent. And yeah, I do know there are some continuity issues and characterization issues - why was Storm so hostile?! - but I took those things in stride. For a reader who hasn't read years and years of Spidey/X-Men team-ups, this wouldn't be a problem at all because the characters make sense in terms of the context of the issue (rather than the context of their whole histories).

There was a lot of dialogue, but I don't mind. The longer a comic takes to read, the more I like it (generally speaking).

The art was okay. Nothing spectacular, but certainly nothing terrible either.

Oh, and I think the traitor is Eyeboy.

-Pav, who also liked the scene with Toad and Krakoa...
    Last edited by Pav; 12-10-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

More interaction between Spider-Man x Psylocke would be nice to see.

this book completely offended me, the racism towards humans and spidey in this book was disgusting, no wonder why the world hates mutants, threw this in the dumpster at work, glad I made some of my money back selling the digital code

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    More interaction between Spider-Man x Psylocke would be nice to see.
    Psylocke is barely at the school nowadays and she's currently sleeping with Rachel's (Half-)Brother Cable. Well, his clones that is and she seems to have caught feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    this book completely offended me, the racism towards humans and spidey in this book was disgusting, no wonder why the world hates mutants, threw this in the dumpster at work, glad I made some of my money back selling the digital code
    You do know that the Mutants aren't like that, right? They've never treated Humanity or Spider-Man in such a way, it's simply poor choice of dialogue from the team of this book.