Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Valiant, #1

Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt have millennia of backstory to establish and don't make The Eternal Warrior seem very competent, but "The Valiant" #1 is still a fun introduction that showcases a diverse array of characters drawn by Paolo Rivera.

Full review here.

This was almost exactly what I hoped it would be. The biggest issue for me was how much Valiant showed off in the months leading up to now (more than half!) which made the book feel like it was over before it started.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    This was almost exactly what I hoped it would be. The biggest issue for me was how much Valiant showed off in the months leading up to now (more than half!) which made the book feel like it was over before it started.
    Yeah, that's the reason I hate those previews and try to avoid them whenever possible; I can't see paying 4 bucks for a book I've already seen 1/3 of for free! lol

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

This is my first book from Valiant, and I like what I see so far. This is obviously an issue meant to introduce the world to people like me, who may not know it, and it does that well. The artwork is great. It has a nice clean look to it. The color pallet is real nice with a lot of cooler subdues colors. The lettering also stands out especially in the Bloodshot scenes. I'm not sure how much people familiar with the Valiant universe will like it, as it seems to be filled with a lot of exposition they would already know, but for me this is a really solid issue. I can't wait to see what the next one holds.

I thought this issue was fantastic. Even though I've read everything from VALIANT, the intro of all the characters didn't feel forced at all, but flowed right with the story. Can't wait for Kindt and Lemire to cut loose next issue.

The art by Rivera was sick. Such a talented storyteller.

I understand the "Gilad isn't very competent" gripe, but each time he fails, he learns from it and improves his tactics. He only faces this enemy once every few thousand years, and as soon as it kills the Geomancer it seems to disappear, so there's no way for him to learn more.

My bigger question would be how did Buck McHenry avoid the Immortal Enemy for several hundred years?