Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Default I may have figured out "No More Mutants" (and I wish I hadn't)

So, the controversy surrounding today's issue of "AXIS" is that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver apparently *SPOILERS*

... are not Magneto's children. The rumor/conspiracy theory is this is due to the Fox vs. Marvel Studios movie rights debacle, and is a step toward distancing the soon-to-be Avengers from the X-franchise. Some are saying the next step will be for Marvel to reveal they're not mutants at all, but Inhumans. This would cut the X-tie almost completely.

My initial thought was "nahhh, surely not." But I've been thinking about that "No More Mutants" teaser for 2015. Some say it's just a "Secret Wars" tie-in, a throwback to the "House of M" reality, but now I'm not so sure.

Bear with me here ... this is a stretch, and I do hope I'm wrong, but what if Marvel is about to reveal that what we've thought were mutants were in fact Inhumans all along, artificially mutated by widespread, happenstance exposure to Terrigen Mists?

In "Earth X" (which, as an alt-reality tale, must be taken with a grain of salt), the Terrigen Mists are connected to the Celestials. And the Celestials have played a pretty big role in the X-books over the years.

Think about it: Apocalypse, widely considered to be the "first" mutant, has a pretty strong connection to the Celestials. Who is to say his mother or father hadn't been exposed to the mists, which is what MADE him a mutant? When Quicksilver lost his powers, he used the Terrigen Mists to restore his powers and the powers of other former mutants. If the mutants had been turned into normal mutants by M-Day, how come the Terrigen Mists restored their original powers (often with an annoying twist) instead of giving them entirely different, Inhuman powers ... unless they were just restoring what they had already given at birth? And when the depowered Magneto restored his own powers, what did he and High Evolutionary use? A piece of a Celestial. Hmmmmmm ...

On the one hand, the staunch creationist in me wants to clap my hands and say, "Ha! Silly Darwin ... homo superior, indeed!"

... but the staunch continuity stickler in me wants to wad up my copy of "AXIS" #7 and use it to start my toasty Christmas fire.

This isn't the first time Marvel has played with the concept of mutants, of course. In the Ultimate universe, they revealed mutants were actually the result of military experiments. And that was fine ... because it was the Ultimate universe, and they could do pretty much whatever the heck they wanted.

What say you? Should mutants go ahead and become Inhumans? Is that really such a bad thing? Or should they remain a separate offshoot of humanity, arguably "the next stage of human evolution?" What will that mean for guys like Cyclops and Magneto, who have devoted their lives to promoting mutantkind?
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I had this thought when they first released that teaser. If it happens, I'm going to be pretty mad. And your arguments are solid methinks. However, I'm hoping that both characters appearing in Uncanny Avengers, which to my understand is very much still a A+X team, indicates otherwise.

Extraordinary Member

I think that theory will apply at least to Scarlet With and Quicksilver since that is what the Uncanny Avengers solicits tease and seems to be limited to only them. I am not sure Marvel would want to go any further and cement any further ties between mutants and Inhumans than may already be there due to the various Celestials-related origins since it serves no purpose to retrofit characters they cannot use in the movies anyway.

BANNED

The problem with "widespread, happenstance exposure" is that you'd need to explain when every character got hit with the mist. That includes characters like Kitty whose entire origin has been laid bare under no uncertain terms.You'd basically have to pin it all on Kang the Conqueror.

Ive been calling it for a long time. Im buying Marvel for the X-Men. If this happening, im done with Marvel.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I don't think they'll change all Mutants into Inhumans.

Wolverine, Cyclops, "Phoenix", Rachel, Hope, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Tempus, and the such will remain Mutants.

Though new Mutants, like Eyeboy, could very well be revealed as Inhumans. So don't be surprised if Marvel decides to shake-up the X-Franchise by making certain other lower profile Mutants into Inhumans.

Yea, between my post on this thread earlier and this post now, I read Axis #7. I must've misunderstood/misread some of the OP, because I didn't understand that the Pietro/Wanda thing actually happened. I am pretty mad right now.

First Nick Fury, then GotG, then Fantastic Four, now this. I think I may stop reading Marvel. Not that it will matter: when the reboot happens, they'll finally get what they want, that being all the old crowd gone replaced by new movie-watcher money.

Sorry, today's issue really made me angry because we all know what they're doing but they can't just tell it straight to our faces and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I don't think they'll change all Mutants into Inhumans.

Wolverine, Cyclops, "Phoenix", Rachel, Hope, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Tempus, and the such will remain Mutants.

Though new Mutants, like Eyeboy, could very well be revealed as Inhumans. So don't be surprised if Marvel decides to shake-up the X-Franchise by making certain other lower profile Mutants into Inhumans.
    Or when Wolverine comes back he'll be in a different Non-mutant body...that seemed to be happening over in the Weapon X book for a while with that new Sharp character.
    Might be a way to squeeze in some version of Logan into the MCU....that would be awful, but after this? Anything can happen.

This genuinely makes me so sad, I can't believe Marvel would just treat some of their greatest characters like dirt!

Spectacular Member

I say go for it. Give Fox the biggest middle finger of them all.

I think that eventually this ret-con of a long lasting ret-con(remember originally originally neither Quicksilver nor Wanda were supposed to be Magnetos kids, just mutants he recruited, hence Magneto definitely hitting on Scarlet) would have limited impact, just toward scarlet and quicksilver, since, well, you know the movie thing and all that.
    Is sad, indeed, because we all grown up taking this family relation as sculpted in stone. And yet again comicdom remember us that nothing in the comic word truly is.
    Sad.
    Still, this thread mad eme think. We had never really got any hint about who the biological parent of Apocalypse were aren't we?(for me is Kang, he was around as Rama Tut since a lot, and his body probably carried lot of Doom radiation for time travel....but is just personal theory, the inhumans could work as well, as inhumans do actually predateds Mutant, but worth reminding that Deviants and Eternal PREDATES both so who know. Perhaps Mutants are all Deviants spawn or Eternal childs)

Scarlet Witch's reputation among X-fans is definitely worse than among Avengers fans, so distancing her from the X-stuff is a good idea for the character. It's a bit of a shame that she might not be Lorna's sister anymore but overall, I'm absolutely fine with the decision to make them not Magneto's kids. Though they are still in Uncanny Avengers which does deal with Mutant issues so who knows what's really going on yet.

I don't think they'll reveal all the Mutants to be Inhumans. For characters owned by Fox outright such as Magneto or Wolverine or Cyclops, it would achieve nothing. Meanwhile it's fine if somebody like Justice who is more affiliated with other teams anyway would be retconned as something else and I don't think that would be a big deal since I don't think Fox would use him anyway. I still don't think they are going to get rid of mutants or remove the X-Men. Disassociating Scarlet Witch doesn't matter much to it since the X-fans hate her anyway and she's an Avenger who isn't really an X-Men member.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Scarlet Witch's reputation among X-fans is definitely worse than among Avengers fans, so distancing her from the X-stuff is a good idea for the character. It's a bit of a shame that she might not be Lorna's sister anymore but overall, I'm absolutely fine with the decision to make them not Magneto's kids. Though they are still in Uncanny Avengers which does deal with Mutant issues so who knows what's really going on yet.

I don't think they'll reveal all the Mutants to be Inhumans. For characters owned by Fox outright such as Magneto or Wolverine or Cyclops, it would achieve nothing. Meanwhile it's fine if somebody like Justice who is more affiliated with other teams anyway would be retconned as something else and I don't think that would be a big deal since I don't think Fox would use him anyway. I still don't think they are going to get rid of mutants or remove the X-Men. Disassociating Scarlet Witch doesn't matter much to it since the X-fans hate her anyway and she's an Avenger who isn't really an X-Men member.
    Plus they are not Magneto's but still of Magda's so is wonder who the father is...The High Evolutionary perhaps? Would explain a lot and still be within the order of the crazy soap opera events of MU

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    I say go for it. Give Fox the biggest middle finger of them all.
    I'm not sure how this is a middle finger. Fox still has rights to use them. If it was as simple as just renaming mutants as something else, Marvel would have done that already and we'd be on our second or third Marvel-produced X-Men movie. Is it a middle finger in terms of sending a message through comics? AXIS is Marvel's lowest selling event comic ever. Barely anyone is receiving that message.

Kevin Feige has said the twins are not Inhuman. http://screenrant.com/inhumans-mutan...atic-universe/