Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Character In Another Mythology Should Marvel Prompt Up?

I know they have Thor and the lesser received Hercules under their belt but how about maybe they made a new superhero based on a lesser known mythology. I mean there are tons like Egyptian, Polynesian, Vodun, Mesopotamian, Incan, Aztec, Slavic, Finnish, Aboriginal, etc.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Pantheons

One candidate I would advocate is Maui because he is a well known folk hero in Polynesian mythology. He is what Heracles is to the Greeks. I mean look what Marvel did for Thor because wasn't the reason why they chose Norse mythology because it wasn't as big in the public conscious as back then. However, through Marvel Norse mythology is probably second to Greco-Roman mythology in the minds of Americans. Although the people in Scandinavia probably are not all that happy how us Americans butchered their stuff so learning from the mistakes of the past if anyone does a comic based on Maui they need to do some extensive research and get some good consultants from Polynesian culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ui_(mythology)

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Has Marvel ever made use of the Emites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emite

Given the meaning of their name, they could theoretically be used as some pretty dreadful villains.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Mighty Member

The Irish Wolf hound from Irish myth. His name was Chuhulain (sp). He did make an appearance in got of the 90's.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

The reason why I bring up Maui is because one of the Disney movies coming out in 2016 is "Moana" that stars the character. It would be a good cash in to make Maui into a Marvel character especially since its owned by Disney.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Moana

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

How about Coyote from some Native American beliefs. A little like Loki he's a sneaky trickster kind of figure; but helpful more often than not to mankind.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    How about Coyote from some Native American beliefs. A little like Loki he's a sneaky trickster kind of figure; but helpful more often than not to mankind.
    You should think about Raven as well because he is very much like Loki in personality as well.

coyote.jpg

Coyote would be a great addition to the MU, indeed.

Put him in a team with Sun Wukong and a japanese Tanuki, and they'll bring more chaos than the Impossible Man.

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    The Irish Wolf hound from Irish myth. His name was Chuhulain (sp). He did make an appearance in got of the 90's.
    Maybe then, we'll get the Morrigan/Banshee/Siryn back in the process.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yes! Coyote was my first thought, too. I love the interpretation of Coyote in Gunnerkrigg Court.

BANNED

Reimagine the AIM Baron Samedi as the actual Baron Samedi from Haitian legend? He comes with his own costume!

Have Spider-man meet Aerop-Enap the Old Spider?

Quetzalcoatl?

EternalSiryn, I like any version of the Morrigan so I'd be up for that.

I can see it now Loki leading the super league of Mythological tricksters.

Mercury/Hermes would be there as well because he was the trickster of the Roman/Greek pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    The Irish Wolf Hound is a breed of dog which was commonly bred in Ireland to (shock) hunt wolves in the 17th century. Cú Chulainn is who you mean. The confusion is because 'Cú,' means 'Hound.' Setanta is the warrior's given name and he was called the Hound of Culann, hence 'Cú Chulainn.' Culann was a different dude that he worked for. He's a pretty interesting mythic character in all fairness but I'm not sure how well it would translate. Irish characters tend to be handled in the most tacky way possible in comics. Example- Banshee. I mean...a 'banshee,' can only be a woman. It comes from 'Ban Sidhe,' which is a sort of weird, spectral spirit being that shrieks at heroes in mythic stories and stuff- Usually encountering one is a warning that one of your kin will soon die. 'Ban,' is literally 'Woman.' But who cares, give him curly red hair and a drinking problem right?

caveat- The Irish Wolfhound was extremely effective and the Irish Wolf is now extinct.

btw- if any of that came of as snarky, it's not my intent at all

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    I can see it now Loki leading the super league of Mythological tricksters.

Mercury/Hermes would be there as well because he was the trickster of the Roman/Greek pantheon.
    That's a good idea. Put a sneaky, twisty kind of writer on it, and you'd never know who was doing what, when, why and with whom. It could be a really fun concept.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    The Irish Wolf Hound is a breed of dog which was commonly bred in Ireland to (shock) hunt wolves in the 17th century. Cú Chulainn is who you mean. The confusion is because 'Cú,' means 'Hound.' Setanta is the warrior's given name and he was called the Hound of Culann, hence 'Cú Chulainn.' Culann was a different dude that he worked for. He's a pretty interesting mythic character in all fairness but I'm not sure how well it would translate. Irish characters tend to be handled in the most tacky way possible in comics. Example- Banshee. I mean...a 'banshee,' can only be a woman. It comes from 'Ban Sidhe,' which is a sort of weird, spectral spirit being that shrieks at heroes in mythic stories and stuff- Usually encountering one is a warning that one of your kin will soon die. 'Ban,' is literally 'Woman.' But who cares, give him curly red hair and a drinking problem right?

caveat- The Irish Wolfhound was extremely effective and the Irish Wolf is now extinct.

btw- if any of that came of as snarky, it's not my intent at all
    They were originally going to make Banshee a woman but opted not to do that.

I like the suggestions of Coyote.

A lesser known one that is really interesting is Finnish. The mythology has some things in common with Norse and some with Rus, and some all it's own thing.

One weird quirk is that their chief/thunder god who is vaguely analogous to Thor is, thanks to missionaries looking to enact a smear campaign against pagan beliefs, now a nasty swear word in Finland. He has an alternate and more commonly used name, Ukko, but still. I'd imagine he would be irked by that. i think a few others have had their names turned into swears as well by missionaries.

Japanese mythology also has a lot of fascinating characters and stories.

Much like the trickster team, it could be fun to have a teamup of thunder/storm gods, now i think about it. Maybe there is some kind of magical drought, or something. so you could have Thor, Zeus, Ukko, Susanoo-no-Mikoto, Indra, etc.