Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why are they trying to tie-in to the movies so much??

I'll be seriously pissed if this is the case.

Who cares about the movies, keep that stuff in a separate universe. good god.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    I don't think they'll reveal all the Mutants to be Inhumans. For characters owned by Fox outright such as Magneto or Wolverine or Cyclops, it would achieve nothing. Meanwhile it's fine if somebody like Justice who is more affiliated with other teams anyway would be retconned as something else and I don't think that would be a big deal since I don't think Fox would use him anyway. I still don't think they are going to get rid of mutants or remove the X-Men. Disassociating Scarlet Witch doesn't matter much to it since the X-fans hate her anyway and she's an Avenger who isn't really an X-Men member.
    It wouldn't be something done instantly - but in the long term, it could benefit Marvel. Think about it, any new "mutants", after a retcon that establishes all of them to be Inhumans couldn't be used in Fox's cinematic universe because they'd be tied to a franchise not owned by them too.

Also, furthermore, if they twist things enough, they could create some loopholes - not to make them unusable to Fox, but to use them on their own. If we get an unknown Inhuman masked warrior with claws, the "Dark avenger" or whatever, there's nothing stopping them from saying that he's an Avengers character. If after the character is already established, they then eventually confirm that he's Wolverine, that wouldn't retroactively make "Dark Avenger" a Fox owned character - just like how they couldn't steal characters from Fox in the same way. They wouldn't steal Wolverine from Fox, but, they'd basically have a "Wolverine" of their own that then could be used the cinematic universe (well, aside from the name Wolverine itself).
    Last edited by NeonZ; 12-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Why are they trying to tie-in to the movies so much??

I'll be seriously pissed if this is the case.

Who cares about the movies, keep that stuff in a separate universe. good god.
    It's because movies make much more money an they want to convert some of them to becoming comic readers.

Amazing Member

I don't know....I think OP's theories are closer to reality then some may think. A full blown continuity retcon is already in place with the explosion of Inhumans recently. I mean before hope re-ignited the mutant race it was established their powers became active at puberty.

Remember, we live in an era where the Wolfman and Perez Teen Titans never happened. Back in the day, they were neck and neck with X-Men in sales and popularity, but reverence for continuity and fan base did not stop DC.

Marvel / Disney is in this for the money, and Marvel has always claimed to be about expanding their product through various Media outlets. The movies is where their focus is at currently, and we should start realizing that the Marvel comics universe is now simply a vehicle to fuel their movieverse. I look at all these new marvel titles similarly to test /focus groups looking to see what generates buzz and transitions well to film.

It makes me sad when I think of how much I prefer the deep expansive and rich history DC and Marvel used to have. I almost wish they would just come right out and just reboot and be done with this slow torture.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caelim View Post
    It makes me sad when I think of how much I prefer the deep expansive and rich history DC and Marvel used to have. I almost wish they would just come right out and just reboot and be done with this slow torture.
    No matter how bad it gets, I never want to see a full reboot. The New 52 has been excruciating, ESPECIALLY for a cranky continuity stickler like me.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Amazing Member

Oh I agree, I don't WANT a reboot! But if it is coming anyway, please for the love of the celestials, do it quick and let the healing start :P

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    No matter how bad it gets, I never want to see a full reboot. The New 52 has been excruciating, ESPECIALLY for a cranky continuity stickler like me.
    Marvel's not going to reboot.

It's not like DC rebooting proved that it's some sort of magical fix all to all their problems. If anything DC reboots pretty much always end up making continuity more confusing.

Y'know, this really is the best of times and the worst of times to be a comic book fan. It's the best of times because we're getting so many great movies, TV shows, video games, etc., but it's the worst of times because the comics themselves are suffering, in large part because the Big Two are pandering too much to the movie crowd.

Sometimes it's a good thing to have your print product reflect, at least somewhat, what's going on in the movies. Marvel missed out big-time in 2000 when the first "X-Men" hit theaters because a back-to-basics X-Men tale would have sold like hotcakes. Chris Claremont's big return at that time, "Revolution," while ambitious, was so far removed from traditional X-Men stories it was confusing as heck to new and old readers alike, and when editorial got involved it became an even BIGGER mess. Marvel goofed again with "Civil War" and its aftermath because when "Iron Man" was released, fans wanted to read about the witty, independent, unabashed capitalist playboy they saw in the movie ... and instead got S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Stark, a rigid fuddy-duddy who was, for all intents and purposes, the bad guy. We really could have used classic X-Men in 2000 and fun Stark in 2008.

But then you have crap like this, and "Nick Fury, Jr.," which just makes me want to sell all my comics and cry in a corner.

(on that note, I actually am looking to sell a good chunk of my collection ... wink-wink, nod-nod)

BANNED

Yeah, they're not getting rid of mutants. And definitely not rebooting.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Yeah, they're not getting rid of mutants. And definitely not rebooting.
    They aren't getting rid of all Mutants but don't be surprised if more and more characters, Mutant and non-Mutant, end up being Inhumans.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I'm not sure how this is a middle finger. Fox still has rights to use them. If it was as simple as just renaming mutants as something else, Marvel would have done that already and we'd be on our second or third Marvel-produced X-Men movie. Is it a middle finger in terms of sending a message through comics? AXIS is Marvel's lowest selling event comic ever. Barely anyone is receiving that message.
    Where are you getting your figures from because that's not what the latest estimates from Diamond is saying. November's figures will be out shortly but here is October by ranking number.

What I find interesting is how the Walking Dead has found its way to the top of the charts. I guess that exposure in other media forms (TV) does have a factor. Granted, the movies have yet to show that unless you count an anomoly like the Rocket Racoon advance orders.

Rank Title Issue Nbr Company Est. Sales
    1 Walking Dead #132 Image 326,334
    2 Death of Wolverine #4 Marvel 165,582
    3 Thor #1 Marvel 150,862
    4 Death of Wolverine #3 Marvel 141,567
    5 Avengers and X-Men Axis #1 Marvel 138,966
    6 Batman #35 DC 118,860
    7 Amazing Spider-Man #7 Marvel 116,051
    8 Amazing Spider-Man #8 Marvel 99,549
    9 Harley Quinn Annual #1 DC 97,312
    10 Avengers and X-Men Axis #2 Marvel 87,964
    11 Avengers and X-Men Axis #3 Marvel 84,708
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-11-2014 at 09:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    They aren't getting rid of all Mutants but don't be surprised if more and more characters, Mutant and non-Mutant, end up being Inhumans.
    It's possible. Isn't like we had a surge of mutants back in the 90s because Marvel wanted to cash in on them.

I'm not arguing that. And personally, I like Inhuman better than Mutant. But I like Mutant characters more, I guess. Go figure.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I'm not sure how this is a middle finger. Fox still has rights to use them. If it was as simple as just renaming mutants as something else, Marvel would have done that already and we'd be on our second or third Marvel-produced X-Men movie. Is it a middle finger in terms of sending a message through comics? AXIS is Marvel's lowest selling event comic ever. Barely anyone is receiving that message.
    LOL Really? Where you pulling those numbers out?? Personally not liking an event doesn't mean others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It's possible. Isn't like we had a surge of mutants back in the 90s because Marvel wanted to cash in on them.

I'm not arguing that. And personally, I like Inhuman better than Mutant. But I like Mutant characters more, I guess. Go figure.
    Seems like the case.

Iconic Mutants like Magneto wont be changed but the lesser known Mutants... I can see them being changed. Heck, they could clean house at the school and have most revealed as Inhumans and thus having Medusa claim them.

Would make moving to Cyke's school so much easier if there are less Mutants around.

Quote Originally Posted by raine View Post
    LOL Really? Where you pulling those numbers out?? Personally not liking an event doesn't mean others don't.
    I've actually enjoyed "AXIS" ... up to this point, at least. The only other big crossover I've liked from Marvel in the last 10 years was "Secret Invasion."