Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    I still can't believe someone thought that it was a good idea to give him a skateboard for the first movie. Just showed how much Sony doesn't understand the character.
    Peter used to wear suits to school, might as well say every adaption aside from the 60s cartoon don't understand the character for not giving him a three pieces suit if using the skateboard a bit is out of character.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Peter used to wear suits to school, might as well say every adaption aside from the 60s cartoon don't understand the character for not giving him a three pieces suit if using the skateboard a bit is out of character.
    I think the issue with the skateboard is that he's supposed to be clumsy pre-spider bite, and you need an amount of grace to use a skateboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I think the issue with the skateboard is that he's supposed to be clumsy pre-spider bite, and you need an amount of grace to use a skateboard.
    What kind of clumsy? Socially clumsy or phyically?
    Raimi's Peter was a wimp who can run as fast as a bus and doesn't gasp or grab his knees. I accepted that, I can accept the skateboard.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Raimi's Peter was a wimp who can run as fast as a bus and doesn't gasp or grab his knees. I accepted that, I can accept the skateboard.
    Meh. The skateboard part doesn't bother me. I can accept it, but I can't accept other parts.

This video sums up my attitude towards Andrew Garfield's interpretation:

Mighty Member

just because somebody is a fast runner doesn't necessarily mean that he is not clumsy

I was a very fast runner when I was a teenager, and I am a neurodivergent with Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,and ADHD
    Dyspraxia is a neurodivergent condition that has to do with problems with coordination/motor skills
    it's known as Clumsy Child Syndrome

I had motor skills therapy to help correct my Dyspraxic weaknesses when I was a kid
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

At least I'm not the only one.
    Not exactly, Peter was stalking Gwen. I just think that scene was a chance encounter.

Generally it is, in the context used he didn't really stalk before meeting her for the first time, and they both laughed and chucked it aside.[/QUOTE]

I looked up a transcript of the movie (http://transcripts.wikia.com/wiki/Th...g_Spider-Man_2).

The conversation is as follows:

Gwen: "Um...yeah. So I did that, and I got completely addicted to this place that has Korean meatballs."
    Peter: "Yeah."
    Gwen: "Have you been there?"
    Peter: "No, I don't know."
    Gwen: "It's mind blowing.
    Peter: "It's the place on 6th. I know, you love it there."
    Gwen: "How do you know that?"
    Peter: "Hm?"
    Gwen: "How do you know I love it there?"
    Peter: "Cause um...cause you told me."
    Gwen: "It just opened last month. Have you been following me? I knew it. How often?"
    Peter: "Just once a day, sometimes. Sometimes more."
    So, no, I don't think he was stalking her before they met in the first movie (although considering he was spying on her a secretly taking snapshots, who can say?).

However, by his own admission he was following her "once a day...sometimes more" on a regular basis after they broke up (all off-screen). That is the definition of stalking. (I'm seriously surprised that they tried to pass that off as cute instead of being disturbing.)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Meh. The skateboard part doesn't bother me. I can accept it, but I can't accept other parts.

This video sums up my attitude towards Andrew Garfield's interpretation:[video=youtube_share;d8_Ihoqryyw]https://youtu.be/d8_Ihoqryyw[video]
    This video has a lot that I disagree with, starting with saying a good movie is terrible, and then calling Peter one dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    just because somebody is a fast runner doesn't necessarily mean that he is not clumsy

I was a very fast runner when I was a teenager, and I am a neurodivergent with Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,and ADHD
    Dyspraxia is a neurodivergent condition that has to do with problems with coordination/motor skills
    it's known as Clumsy Child Syndrome

I had motor skills therapy to help correct my Dyspraxic weaknesses when I was a kid
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not exactly, Peter was stalking Gwen. I just think that scene was a chance encounter.
    I meant the gargoyle moment.

I looked up a transcript of the movie (http://transcripts.wikia.com/wiki/Th...g_Spider-Man_2).

The conversation is as follows:

So, no, I don't think he was stalking her before they met in the first movie (although considering he was spying on her a secretly taking snapshots, who can say?).

However, by his own admission he was following her "once a day...sometimes more" on a regular basis after they broke up (all off-screen). That is the definition of stalking. (I'm seriously surprised that they tried to pass that off as cute instead of being disturbing.)
    I know, that's why I was saying if she's ok with it.
    I like to look at it at a use of a trope I saw in romance genre films and anime; one of them secretly follows the other after a breakup, either because they miss the relationship partner, or a strange perverted way of showing concern, but it usually ends up in the other person bickering.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

This video has a lot that I disagree with, starting with saying a good movie is terrible, and then calling Peter one dimensional.
    Not sure about the one-dimensional part (while I don't think Garfield was a very good Peter Parker/Spider-Man, he didn't play a flat character), but I don't think ASM1 was a good movie. At best, I think it was a pretty uninspired superhero movie that really didn't do anything unique.

I meant the gargoyle moment.
    I think we're taking about the same moment.

I know, that's why I was saying if she's ok with it.
    I like to look at it at a use of a trope I saw in romance genre films and anime; one of them secretly follows the other after a breakup, either because they miss the relationship partner, or a strange perverted way of showing concern, but it usually ends up in the other person bickering.
    Maybe? I think the thing is that the movie was trying to say: "See? They belong together," while what I got out of it was: "Gwen is in an unhealthy relationship." Look, nothing in the original movie really sold me on them being a couple (there's no development of the relationship, no depth to it, nothing that really explains why they even like each other in the first place), so I was hoping that the sequel would fix that. Instead, by the end, I was thinking that Gwen made the right choice to break up with him for good when going to England.

So, maybe I'm being harder on this scene than I would otherwise be, since I went into the movie expecting a more fleshed out story in this regard. Probably didn't help that I was comparing to Peter's girlfriend stories in the original movies and Ultimate comics (the latter of which the Webb movies were based on), both of which had a better love story dynamic in terms of characterization and story arc, IMHO.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 08-22-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Maybe? I think the thing is that the movie was trying to say: "See? They belong together," while what I got out of it was: "Gwen is in an unhealthy relationship." Look, nothing in the original movie really sold me on them being a couple (there's no development of the relationship, no depth to it, nothing that really explains why they even like each other in the first place), so I was hoping that the sequel would fix that. Instead, by the end, I was thinking that Gwen made the right choice to break up with him for good when going to England.

So, maybe I'm being harder on this scene than I would otherwise be, since I went into the movie expecting a more fleshed out story in this regard. Probably didn't help that I was comparing to Peter's girlfriend stories in the original movies and Ultimate comics (the latter of which the Webb movies were based on), both of which had a better love story dynamic in terms of characterization and story arc, IMHO.
    While I defend Andrew as the character and think he's both the best in the role and had the take I connect with the comics more than Maguire's and Holland's, I could not -for any thinkable reason- buy their romance as starting anything more than a wild crush, development of it is quite clunky.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Not sure about the one-dimensional part (while I don't think Garfield was a very good Peter Parker/Spider-Man, he didn't play a flat character), but I don't think ASM1 was a good movie. At best, I think it was a pretty uninspired superhero movie that really didn't do anything unique.

I think we're taking about the same moment.

I am in total agreement here. Her being OK with it didn't make his stalking behavior any healthier, it just meant that she was alright with unhealthy behavior.

While I defend Andrew as the character and think he's both the best in the role and had the take I connect with the comics more than Maguire's and Holland's, I could not -for any thinkable reason- buy their romance as starting anything more than a wild crush, development of it is quite clunky.
    Okay.

10char