Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post
    In defense of Maguire's Parker, he does run into a burning building without powers to save people. But even taking that into account I would still say that, while one could certainly make the case for Maguire, Garfield's Parker is arguably the most altruistic and genuinely kindhearted superhero to grace the big screen since Christopher Reeves' Superman.
    No, because Chris Evans' Cap. He just is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    FACT!!!

I remember a picture of him slamming his fist into a book thinking 'Someday They'll regret laughing at me!' or something disturbingly similar.

Hulk had a few decidedly evil sounding comments in the first few issues issues as well.. Lot of rose colored glasses looking at those scripts from the 60's
    Early FFs, Thing was half a beat away from straight up murdering Reed.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The scene where he goes out of his way to humiliate Flash on the basketball court really doesn't paint him in the best of lights.

of course at the end of that, he jumps twenty feet in the air to dunk a basketball and shatter the rim, which also tells me he's really crappy when it comes to keeping a secret identity.
    That's kind of right out of the comics, though. Different sport, but same basic idea.

Last edited by StoneGold; 05-15-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    That's kind of right out of the comics, though. Different sport, but same basic idea.

Also in the Ultimate Comics Flash is actually a basketball player and Peter hits Flash with the basketball when Flash was teasing MJ at gym class. The basketball scene was basically taken from the Ultimate comics.

No, because Chris Evans' Cap. He just is.
    Cap's far too removed from the average citizen, though. Peter fights thieves and swings through New York whilst maintaining a secret identity whilst Cap is always taking down military targets and is a celebrity. And up until recently Cap was SHIELD's pawn which didn't sit right with Cap himself and wouldn't sit right with other heroes such as Tony (who heavily dislikes SHIELD).

Early FFs, Thing was half a beat away from straight up murdering Reed.
    I need scans of this!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    Cap's far too removed from the average citizen, though. Peter fights thieves and swings through New York whilst maintaining a secret identity whilst Cap is always taking down military targets and is a celebrity. And up until recently Cap was SHIELD's pawn which didn't sit right with Cap himself and wouldn't sit right with other heroes such as Tony (who heavily dislikes SHIELD).
    First... you totally have comic book Captain America wrong. Pawn of SHIELD, which is why he totally beat the crap out of SHIELD in Civil War.

Second, this has squat-all to do with the comics. Just about whether or not Chris Evans played the most idealistic hero this side of Chris Reeves.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    I need scans of this!
    First issue...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Accept defending two kids Flash was bullying in the first movie. Or helping the kid with his Science Project in the second.

On that note, how many people did Maguire's Peter Parker actually go out of his way to be "super nice" to?
    I said A LOT of people, yes he did somethings here or there but was also shown to act like a "jerk" at times too. Personally I wouldn't say so much a jerk as a teenager which again is what he is. He's moody, smart mouthed, and cocky at times. I can see how some of the stuff they had him do would cause people to see him as a jerk. Just as I can also see how if people want to look at everything good he did that people would like him too.

Maguire's Peter first of all I just never bought as a teenager. He looked like an adult trying to play a kid. Second they played up more of the awkward can't do anything right klutz side of Peter with Toby. Other than the last movie with the stuff with how the suit was making be a jerk they never really showed Peter being a jerk. They had him play pretty much a nice quiet shy guy who has two left feet.

Garfield's Peter IMO is more true to what a real teenager would be like in the situations he was in. He's more moody, more smart mouthed, comes across at least to me like he thinks he knows everything like teenagers act like and seems to have less respect for authority and isn't afraid to speak his mind. There is NOTHING wrong with that but I do think Garfield's Peter has more of an edge to him than Maguire's did and that edge can rub some people the wrong way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porker View Post
    I don't think he's a jerk, but I think he's unlikeable and irresponsible and just not Peter Parker.

He's a show-off.
    While Peter in the comics is also cocky and a show-off sometimes, in this movie franchise Peter just does all these irresponsible things that make him absolutely out-of-character.
    In the first movie with Flash and the basket ball? Yeah, why hide your powers. Makes no sense when you could get revenge on a bully. Logical!
    Then when Peter kisses Gswen and throws the football so hard that one of the poles on the pitch bends? Did no one think that was odd?
    The first time he's in a costume and hunts down the criminal that shot Uncle Ben he basically yells at the policemen like some asshole. And he humiliates the criminal and makes jokes that are just not appropriate in such a situation.
    And there's the other thing: Peter makes fun of criminals and villains and he has his puns and jokes, but in the movies the jokes aren't innocent or dorky. Maybe that's not cool enough for todays' audience?
    Also, he walks over the street when he sees Gwen and it's like??? Dude, even if you are not in danger because of your spider sense and superpowers, you're still putting other people in danger.
    The kiss he gave Gwen on graduation was cringeworthy, just like the high five he gave his teacher. Jock-behaviour, not Peter Parker-behaviour.
    That's all that comes up in my mind right now, but there's much more.

He was talking to himself too like when catching all those bottles on a running truck. It felt like it was Deadpool in Spidey's costume.

But overall, he's a fine Spider-man. 2 is better than the first Amazing Spider-man. And Emma Stone was so breath-taking.

I didn't like the Rhino on the last part though.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    He was talking to himself too like when catching all those bottles on a running truck. It felt like it was Deadpool in Spidey's costume.

But overall, he's a fine Spider-man. 2 is better than the first Amazing Spider-man. And Emma Stone was so breath-taking.

I didn't like the Rhino on the last part though.
    I have to admit I liked Andrew Garfield's part a lot more in this one although I could do without all the "ok ok ok" "no no no" he does when he's trying to tell Gwen something at times. I get what they are getting at by having him do that stuff but I went to Spidey 2 and he was doing that at some point and someone actually yelled out in the theater oh just spit it out already.

That aside they took a big risk by killing off Gwen Stacy in this movie. I think it was the right thing to do since that's what she is most known for but I think without question the best part of the first two movies was the relationship between Gwen and Peter and that is thanks to amazing chemistry that Andrew and Emma have together. If they don't cast the right person to play his next love interest (and frankly it's going to be hard to find someone as good as Emma was because she's a very good actress and also Andrew's real girl friend) and the writing doesn't get better I am not sure there will be an Amazing Spider-man 4.

First... you totally have comic book Captain America wrong. Pawn of SHIELD, which is why he totally beat the crap out of SHIELD in Civil War.

Second, this has squat-all to do with the comics. Just about whether or not Chris Evans played the most idealistic hero this side of Chris Reeves.
    I totally meant the Chris Evans Cap, not the 616 version.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    why do they even think he's an unlikable character? i mean sure how he got into oscorp was unforgivable and the aftermath of uncle ben's death was total crap but everything he did was understandable and nice. like after being tossed by the lizard peter took off his mask to cal a kid down and while the car was on fire peter gave him confidence. he also took a beating for a defensless kid. he also cared about saving connors and the rest of the city for turning int a city of lizards and keep this in mind it wasn't because he was ordered to it was because he had to do what is right even going all out with a bullet in his leg. he also save da school from the lizard. the reason he yelled at his aunt was because he was under pressure looking for his uncle's killer and he was afraid because he hurted aunt may and all he did say was "please PLEASE go to sleep aunt may!" while he was in tears. i also read or heared some ridiculous statements on him messing with flash made him a douche-_-

what are your thoughts?
    He's fine, he's definitely more of the playful jerk and reminiscent of the animated series talk of Spider-Man. Tobey seemed to old to me, but was grčat at being a little awkward and nerdy. Andrew looks a lot younger despite being 30 now. I think in his doucheiest moments they go a little over the top in his playfulness with bad guys.

Astonishing Member

Garfield's Parker is way more realistic. He is a loner due to being abandoned by his parents. He isnt dark and brooding but just doesnt want to get to close to anybody, which makes him weird in High School because he doesnt gravitate to cliques.He wants to help people because thats what Uncle Ben and Aunt May has taught him.

This kid is engulfed in death and abandonment. His mom,dad,Uncle Ben,Captain Stacy, and even Doc Connors. This kid brings death where ever he goes. The fact that this does have some negative impact on the character makes the character believable and likable.Plus unlike Maquire/Raimi take on the character this version is actually funny. He has depth and conflict, where the previous version was two dimensional.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    I will say that Garfield's Peter in the sequel was a bit better but then there are lines like when he is celebrating with Aunt May and she tells him that she wishes that Uncle Ben was here and then he says he wishes that his parents (who no one cares about) were here as well.

And the other moment with Aunt May in his room when he says that it's not about you, it's about me. That was selfish of him to say including the extremely passionate statement that May had moments earlier. Plus giving how he was portrayed in the first film and I believe you answer your own question.
    Why wouldnt he want his parents there. What child would nt want there parents at their graduation alive and happy to celebrate with them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post
    I don't have problem with ASM Peter Parker (I thought the kissing Gwen on stage was really hilarious), but his scenes with Harry really bugged me. It's like he had completely giving up on his so called best friend, rejected him twice in different identities and practically left him to die while Peter was going to go to England with Gwen.
    He didnt want his best friend to end up like Connors.