Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    I found him unrealistic because his supporting cast was unrealistic. Flash beats him up (don't like that scene) and then goes to being buddies at the end without any characterisation. Gwen falls in love with him when he's this creepy loner than keeps pictures on her. There was no build up either, I didn't feel like they had any connection and it feels like he's trying to show off that he's Spider-Man when he reveals his identity.

Then his actions are insanely out of character as well. He shows no humility or fear when he's throwing balls too hard and compromising his identity and it's silly to think nobody questions him. He's an absolute jerk to the car thief and we're supposed to think of it as funny (in the comics Peter always bounces off of the villains. It just comes across as petty and angry if it's one sided.) and on the subway he takes off that woman's dress (hate that scene) and it's played for laughs. I think I mostly found the writing was extremely flawed rather than the core of the character.
    Flash starts being friendly towards Peter after Uncle Ben dies, remember when Flash was trying to console Peter? Flash may have been a jerk but in the end he knew Peter and chose to toss aside his problems with Pete, he understood what Peter was going through. How is that unrealistic? That's maturing! Peter, on the other hand, becomes more confident in himself when he becomes Spider-Man. His relationship with Gwen also helps him come out of his shell and starts to be a lot friendlier to others, even Flash. They're both smart kids and you could tell Gwen liked Peter before he was Spider-Man, so when he revealed his identity as Spider-Man their hormones obviously go flying.

Also why should Spidey show a grown man who happens to be a car thief humility or respect? Spidey's banter has always had the purpose of driving his enemies nuts so he can take em out easily. It was also his first night going out as Spider-Man and at the time he had a vendetta and was trying to catch Uncle Ben's killer (which he then realised was wrong), so there was always going to be a hint of aggressiveness around him.

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    Flash starts being friendly towards Peter after Uncle Ben dies, remember when Flash was trying to console Peter? Flash may have been a jerk but in the end he knew Peter and chose to toss aside his problems with Pete, he understood what Peter was going through. How is that unrealistic?
    He starts off throwing basket balls at Peter's head for no reason, to brutally assaulting him by punching him in the face, kicking him when he's down as Peter did the horrible crime of ... calling him Eugene. This isn't a guy that's ever shown any kindness, we're given no strong reason other than he "gets it", and we're asked to just believe that he's turned a new leaf because Peter's Uncle died? We're shown the worst of the worst, a horrible thug of a boy, and then we're expected to believe he's become a decent dude. That's why it's unrealistic.

His relationship with Gwen also helps him come out of his shell and starts to be a lot friendlier to others, even Flash. They're both smart kids and you could tell Gwen liked Peter before he was Spider-Man, so when he revealed his identity as Spider-Man their hormones obviously go flying.
    Granted, I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember them having next to no scenes together where they were even friends. I didn't like the lack of build up to the relationship, and I don't think the subtle hints were enough to create the iconic relations. Again, I might be wrong about this.

Also why should Spidey show a grown man who happens to be a car thief humility or respect? Spidey's banter has always had the purpose of driving his enemies nuts so he can take em out easily. It was also his first night going out as Spider-Man and at the time he had a vendetta and was trying to catch Uncle Ben's killer (which he then realised was wrong), so there was always going to be a hint of aggressiveness around him.
    Spider-Man didn't need to drive the car thief nuts. He already had him cornered and outpowered. It's like with an actual spider - he already had the car thief wrapped up and beaten (metaphorically) but he decided to play with his food afterwards to make him feel more powerful. I didn't mind this scene in the movie, because movie Peter would be like that. As you said he's being aggressive because it's his first time, but he's still being a jerk about the way he asserts his dominance on a random punk.

Also in the Ultimate Comics Flash is actually a basketball player and Peter hits Flash with the basketball when Flash was teasing MJ at gym class. The basketball scene was basically taken from the Ultimate comics.
    But in ASM Peter was a jerk about it. No regret about it, was happy he humiliated and/or hurt Flash. Every time in the movies when he has shown off his powers, he is doing it out of arrogance rather than by accident.

BANNED

Flash starts being friendly towards Peter after Uncle Ben dies, remember when Flash was trying to console Peter? Flash may have been a jerk but in the end he knew Peter and chose to toss aside his problems with Pete, he understood what Peter was going through. How is that unrealistic?

because we were only shown a laughably one-dimensional Flash at the beginning of the movie. the stuff he was doing was just incredibly over-the-top. it wasn't just calling another classmate for dressing funny or calling someone a spaz. he was assaulting some kid. and all of a sudden he's sympathetic to Peter (and, seemingly, the only one who reached out)? i much prefered the Maguire-Spidey version. Joe Mangianello was a jerk too. but he had a semi-legitimate reason to go all alpha male on Peter. he was basically a popular guy trying to save face. i could imagine someone like that paying his respects. but new-Flash seemed like he was getting off on harrassing kids.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    But in ASM Peter was a jerk about it. No regret about it, was happy he humiliated and/or hurt Flash. Every time in the movies when he has shown off his powers, he is doing it out of arrogance rather than by accident.
    Which is true of the early comics as well. It's just more that if he ever showed any hubris, Stan would have the universe crap all over him in the next scene.

But that's what Uncle Ben reprimands him about! And once again, Spidey showing off is in my opinion nothing new and pretty faithful to the comics. The banter & the humiliation (webbing up the thief, pulling Rhino's pants down) is supposed to drive his foes mad, Spidey doesn't really care what his foes think of him once he sees that whoever he's fighting means real trouble (because he does try to reason with an insane Dillon). Obviously since this new Peter is based on Ultimate Peter and the modern Peter in the 616 Universe there's hardly any differences between his Peter & Spidey identities, he cracks jokes and is very irreverent to many people (616 Peter just punched Captain America square in the face, for Chrissake!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    because we were only shown a laughably one-dimensional Flash at the beginning of the movie. the stuff he was doing was just incredibly over-the-top. it wasn't just calling another classmate for dressing funny or calling someone a spaz. he was assaulting some kid. and all of a sudden he's sympathetic to Peter (and, seemingly, the only one who reached out)? i much prefered the Maguire-Spidey version. Joe Mangianello was a jerk too. but he had a semi-legitimate reason to go all alpha male on Peter. he was basically a popular guy trying to save face. i could imagine someone like that paying his respects. but new-Flash seemed like he was getting off on harrassing kids.
    Hmmm, I think you guys are right. Flash's characterisation was a bit far-fetched. But even though at first the Webb Flash didn't vary much from the Raimi Flash at first, the scenes where Webb Flash tries to comfort Pete and when he's friendly with him by the end of the movie (with a Spider-Man shirt!) are still nice nods to the friendship Pete & Flash developed in the comics, and in my opinion are ultimately successful in giving the people around Peter depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    Still better than Spectacular Flash, that guy is basically a mix of the above two combined with stealing from Peter.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Which is true of the early comics as well. It's just more that if he ever showed any hubris, Stan would have the universe crap all over him in the next scene.
    True.

But that's what Uncle Ben reprimands him about! And once again, Spidey showing off is in my opinion nothing new and pretty faithful to the comics. The banter & the humiliation (webbing up the thief, pulling Rhino's pants down) is supposed to drive his foes mad, Spidey doesn't really care what his foes think of him once he sees that whoever he's fighting means real trouble (because he does try to reason with an insane Dillon). Obviously since this new Peter is based on Ultimate Peter and the modern Peter in the 616 Universe there's hardly any differences between his Peter & Spidey identities, he cracks jokes and is very irreverent to many people (616 Peter just punched Captain America square in the face, for Chrissake!)
    In ASM2, he didn't come off like a jerk as much as in ASM1. In ASM1, Peter came across like some kind of unfunny dudebro, the way he was acting much of the time. In ASM2 he was actually funny.

BANNED

Bump, Spideys a total dick and a bullying troll, get over it. It just depends on who writes him.

I'm only supporting the argument of Peter being the most altruistic hero. It's emphasised in ASM2 that more so than using his abilities to fight villains he uses his abilities to protect people. He patrols in search of people in need and stops at every situation, no matter how small (the kid getting bullied) or big (stopping Electro). He does this of his own accord (or his very inflated sense of responsibility).

I'm just saying that Cap's superhero actions are generally pretty detached from the average people-in-need situation, and UP UNTIL RECENTLY were often not in Cap's interest but in the interest of people who were up to no good (Fury/SHIELD/HYDRA). Cap is every bit the hero (he jumps in front of a grenade, sacrifices himself in the ice, saves waitresses) but in my opinion his following Big Brother-like organisations (SHIELD) detracted a bit from his hero status.
    Spiderman kinda has a grander capacity for helping others than just the average civie, his and caps moral nobility and selflessness are unrivals amonsts marvel heroes, spidey has saved aliens, robots and gods from danger despite them being as strong or stronger than himseld. Im sure spidey stands for stick up for everyone and everything that is alive against evil.

Its just hes known to stick to the real world and save people he represents primarily. Spiderman currently desires his duty to protecting humanity on a global scale not just his city and friends.

cast-member-andrew-garfield-poses-at-the-premiere-of-the-amazing-spider-man-at-the-regency-villa.jpg

Andrew Garfield is the best, most experienced actor amongst the 'big arachnid three: Maguire, Garfield, Holland' (he was always a powerful stage performer, first and foremost, and that in itself creates a very magnetic aura around his presence both off-screen and on screen, something that becomes very apparent with his involvement in the recent Angels in America play; I made sure to emphasize that in my 2nd YouTube video recently, since Andrew was celebrating his 34th Birthday yesterday) and he also happens to be the most professional actor out of the 'big arachnid three' (just take a look at his impressive resume: https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b7&oe=5A28E8A1 and his pre/post-ASM works where he gets to tackle some truly exquisite, multilayered, nuanced and intricate characters; unfortunately, as it sometimes happens in this strange life, despite being an avid fan of Spider-Man from the age of 3, getting certain elements of his Peter/Spidey right (his constant mood swings, his humanity, social awkwardness, a sense of humor in the face of danger, genuine love for science) and loving the hell out of John Semper's 90's TAS and Todd McFarlane's "Torment" (one of his favorite arcs, as he once told me), he just got dealt a bad hand with all the meddling caused by Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Matt Tolmach.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I think the problem is that there are 2 sides to Spider-Man/Peter Parker: the sweet nerd and the wise-cracking smartaleck. Garfield got the smartaleck part, but not the cute nerd.

Also, following around a girl you don't know, taking pictures without her permission, and using her picture as your wallpaper without her permission is creepy stalker behavior, not romantic.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    "Fans" are jealous because they can't be Peter Parker
    If someone can be jealous of Peter Parker, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The4orTy67 View Post
    Movie Peter really reminds me of Ultimate Peter sometimes.
    Well, the ASM movies were primarily an adaptation of the USM comics, so that’s to be expected. Personally, though, I found that Garfield’s Peter and Ultimate Peter are not that much alike. Bear in mind here that I hate Garfield’s Spider-Man while Ultimate Peter is my most favorite comic book character of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It wasn't something that bothered me, but Film Critic Hulk answers the thread question.
    Remember seeing that. Pain in the neck to read but well-thought out.

Also in the Ultimate Comics Flash is actually a basketball player and Peter hits Flash with the basketball when Flash was teasing MJ at gym class. The basketball scene was basically taken from the Ultimate comics.
    Yeah, however the screen of Peter making fun of Flash with the basketball (and shattering the hoop) was invented by the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post
    So basically he just abandoned Harry?

BTW, why didn't Peter give the blood to Harry in the first place? That was before he found out the truth about his blood right? I don't think ASM1 has ever established that his blood is poisonous or can cause some mutation. Connors turned into Lizard because some flaw with the formula, which, as far as I know, has no relation with Peter's blood.
    Yeah, that plot wasn’t very well explained such as why Harry needed an answer now instead of being able to use his father’s treatments to play for time while building off the research).

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Granted, I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember them having next to no scenes together where they were even friends. I didn't like the lack of build up to the relationship, and I don't think the subtle hints were enough to create the iconic relations. Again, I might be wrong about this.
    As my memory goes, the lines indicated that Peter and Gwen didn't know each other at all before they started seeing each other (she specifically needs to ask him his name when they have their first conversation during the movie). While the idea of a teen having a crush on a pretty girl he barely knows is very much truth in fiction (I can attest from personal experience), it hamstrung the story since there was nothing concrete that the relationship was built on, unlike the original movies where there was build-up. Even the Ultimate comics, which also used the idea of Peter and his girlfriend basically being interested in each other right off the bat, knew how to make that work (it was established that Peter and Mary Jane had been good friends for years prior and the stories showed that the relationship had more depth than the surface-level attraction, something the Webb movies never did; all tell, no show).

As far as Garfield’s Peter being a jerk, yeah, I think that’s how it works out. Case in point, his relationship with Gwen, beyond being written in the most cursory of terms, looked extremely unhealthy and I think all that rests on Peter. The whole break up/reconciling cycles were caused by him and all stemmed from what he wanted (to be free of guilt or to be happy). What was best for Gwen was not a factor nor did she have any level of agency in the decision (granted it takes two to tango and all that, but Peter made all the decisions solo in that case).

The first movie’s establishing that he spied on her and secretly took snapshots was pretty creepy, however the second movie’s reveal that he was stalking her on a daily basis post-breakup was pretty much the last straw for me. It was really messed up and the movie tried to pass off a toxic situation as being romantic and cute.

Let's see.
    He takes someone else's id to get into OsCorp. He then sneaks into a restricted area.
    He takes credit for his father's "decay rate algorithm".
    Oh yeah and he breaks a promise to Gwen's dad.

It was an accident in the train, and the bathroom.
    What's wrong with how he treated Flash? He didn't give him a wedgie or lock him in the shower or punch him in the face, he played a little with the basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I think the problem is that there are 2 sides to Spider-Man/Peter Parker: the sweet nerd and the wise-cracking smartaleck. Garfield got the smartaleck part, but not the cute nerd.

Also, following around a girl you don't know, taking pictures without her permission, and using her picture as your wallpaper without her permission is creepy stalker behavior, not romantic.
    He saw her in school as he was walking, that's not the same as following.
    I stand up for him on that point, but not the pictures, that is distasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Let's see.
    He takes someone else's id to get into OsCorp. He then sneaks into a restricted area.
    He takes credit for his father's "decay rate algorithm".
    Oh yeah and he breaks a promise to Gwen's dad.
    In 1 and 2 those are cases of awkward lying, not intentional dickery, and he didn't steal someone's car or take credit for a science project he did not work on.
    And for the second point he probably wanted to save himself some embarrassment when it comes to answers as to why his father concealed this. Relatable.

As for the promise, he promised to do something he was doing before George saw Spider-Man unmasked, George did it too, they kept Gwen out of this. Peter got Gwen out of school when the Lizard looked at her, and told her to stay away from Oscorp cause the Lizard was heading there. George took the serum from Gwen's hands to keep her out of this. He didn't promise to not go near Gwen.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage