Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default The "Should I buy it or not?" Consultation&Speculation Thread

Hey guys. I was thinking about starting a thread, where people who own a lot of collected comics and also have a serious insight into what has been, what is to be released, what will probably be announced soon or will eventually go oop etc can guide people with their buying decisions.

My current dilemma is the Avengers run by Roger Stern. I'd love to re-read it in a collected form, since I have very fond memories of it and it seems to be widely regarded a s a highpoint in the Avengers history. It's interesting, that people have speculated for years, that a series of omnibi (probably 2) would cover most of the Stern stories and have even laying out possible content tables etc, so the fans are eagerly waiting for this to happen. But it hasn't. Instead we got two omnibi of the West Coast Avengers and quite a few trade paperbacks of Stern's Avengers... pretty strange.

I'm down with paperbacks, but I would definitely prefer the properly serialised, oversized hardcover treatment. Next year we get a new Avengers movie, and there's still no announcement (also, the movie plot seems not closely related to any of the Stern storylines), yet.

Here's an tpb oversight provided by The Omnibus Collector:

Heart of Stone (#189-191 and more)
    Trial of Yellowjacket (#212-230)
    Absolute Vision Vol. 1 (#231-241 and more)
    Absolute Vision Vol. 2 (#242-254, Annual #13 and more)
    Legacy of Thanos (#255-261, Annual #14 and more)
    The Once and Future Kang (#262-269 and more)
    Under Siege (#270-277)
    Assault on Olympus (#278-285)
    Heavy Metal (#286-293)

So, what do you say? Do you think the omnibi will happen in the next year or so? Hunt down the paperbacks or just wait and see..?

I wouldn't count on an omnibus. They'll probably reprint a lot of Avengers in Epics first--and just after you buy them, then announce an omnibus. Of course, the paper in the future omnibus will be so thin and the book sooooo expensive that you'll be glad you bought the paperbacks.

You can never really "count" on any Omnibus. Strange things have happened in the past. BUT I think that a Roger Stern Avengers Omnibus is more likely based on a) high success of the Spider-Man by Stern Omnibus and b) a highly expressed demand on a few wish lists here and there. We've seen an Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, Annihilation (1&2) this year (based on Movies and hopefully some people also took notice of the wish lists) and I think that with the Avengers being quite popular, there will be a few other Avengers Omniboo in the next years. On the other side, if they don't announce it by the end of next year, or if another popular run gets omnibusted, I would go for the TPB.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Incredible Member

A backup copy of Absolute Batman and Robin Reborn. It's a favorite story of mine and I'd hate to ever lose it or have it ruined...but a backup is expensive and possibly superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    A backup copy of Absolute Batman and Robin Reborn. It's a favorite story of mine and I'd hate to ever lose it or have it ruined...but a backup is expensive and possibly superfluous.
    The idea of buying a backup copy of a book seems absurd to me. Just don't take your books out of your reading room, then it won't get lost. Besides, being as huge as they are, absolutes would be pretty hard to loose track of.

Personally I'm struggling with whether or not to buy a copy of absolute all-star batman and robin by Frank miller. I know the series was left unfinished and the planned conclusion, Batman : Boy wonder, might never be released.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 12-11-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    The idea of buying a backup copy of a book seems absurd to me. Just don't take your books out of your reading room, then it won't get lost. Besides, being as huge as they are, absolutes would be pretty hard to loose track of.

Personally I'm struggling with whether or not to buy a copy of absolute all-star batman and robin by Frank miller. I know the series was left unfinished and the conclusion, Batman : Boy wonder might never be released.
    I should correct myself - I'm more worried about it's condition degrading over time rather than losing it.

As for your predipredicament, I wouldn't worry about it being incomplete, personally. As an "Absolute", it's still a great piece of Batman history featuring legendary creators taking Batman for an insane ride.

I should correct myself - I'm more worried about it's condition degrading over time rather than losing it.

As for your predipredicament, I wouldn't worry about it being incomplete, personally. As an "Absolute", it's still a great piece of Batman history featuring legendary creators taking Batman for an insane ride.
    Time will have its way with all of us, but by buying collected editions printed on quality paperstock you may slow the degradation process and save yourself a ton of money, storage space, and grief. I don't know about the paper quality on the Absolute line, but for this reason you might want to think twice about the Marvel Omnibus line.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Time will have its way with all of us, but by buying collected editions printed on quality paperstock you may slow the degradation process and save yourself a ton of money, storage space, and grief. I don't know about the paper quality on the Absolute line, but for this reason you might want to think twice about the Marvel Omnibus line.
    Agreed. I've mostly dropped the Marvel Omnibus line, aside from Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1. Which seems to be pretty well constructed. I do however love the OHC's Marvel puts out, both old and new.

I'm fairly new to DC's Absolute line, which is why I'm unsure about buying a backup of my favorite book. The quality of Marvels line would warrant this.

Spectacular Member

I'd think a hardcover book in a slip case is one that you don't really have to worry about "injuring", isn't that kind of the point?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I'd think a hardcover book in a slip case is one that you don't really have to worry about "injuring", isn't that kind of the point?
    Yes, it is the point, my friend.

However, we live in the age of shoddy products.

Yes, it is the point, my friend.

However, we live in the age of shoddy products.
    Ever notice a lot of things are made in China nowadays?

I like the idea behind this thread. That being said, I'm unsure about two upcoming releases, both by the inimitable Walter Simonson: the Star Slammers HC and the Orion Omnibus. Let me preface my question by stating that I'm a huge fan of Walter Simonson's THOR. Also (and this may influence my decision re: Orion at least), I'm a big fan of mythology and, while I'm NOT really a fan of the New Gods (take 'em or leave 'em, I'd say), I have a feeling I'd enjoy Walt's Orion.

I've not read either title before, so these would be blind buys based on my enjoyment of Walt's THOR. Without spoiling anything story/plot-wise, what's your take on these two series? While I enjoy Walt's art very much, I'm more in the "fan of writing" camp. I guess another way of asking this is, do these collections of issues tell a satisfying, complete (as can be) story? I don't expect them to reach the magnitude of THOR, but that's a rare feat indeed.

Thanks for any insight re: this.

Okay, all of DC's Absolute series are designed to be not only good-looking prestige editions but also durable volumes. No doubt, many publishers and printers use cost-cutting strategies even here, but a combination of the volume's high-quality construction and a few reasonable steps for preservation should make a back-up edition of any Absolute book very superfluous.

1. The main reason for book deterioration inherent to the book itself is the acid content of the paper stock or the acid content of paper inserts (like bookmarks) left in the pages over long periods of time. As all Absolute volumes are printed on archival quality stock—with regulated pH levels, mandatory alkaline reserve, and no easily oxidized content—this shouldn't be a problem. Just don't leave foreign paper between the pages.

2. The only other possible concern would be the binding. Ideally, the binding should be sewn. If so, you're highly unlikely to have any problems with any reasonable wear. However, some of DC's Absolute editions have glued binding, and for the larger volumes, this can result in breakage if you allow the book to sit open at 180º. I don't recommend that for any sizable book of any kind anyway.

3. The only possible remaining concern is the storage environment. The slipcase should prevent any problem with light exposure to the pages themselves, though intense light of any kind can fade and weaken the slipcase binding over time. To avoid mold and warping, keep books in relatively dry environments and away from areas of the house—attic or basement, for example—at risk of flooding or leaking.

Incredible Member

^I think I love you.

That being said, I hate the idea of not allowing a book to open at 180 degrees.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

IMO, unless they are stored in absolutely horrendous conditions or something stupid happens to them(spills, insects, rodents, etc) your books will outlive all of us.