Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Marvel and Retcons (Potential Spoilers)

With all the major retcons that have happened in recent years, Spider-Man and MJ never being married and the recent revelations about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I think its a good time to talk about retcons in general.

What are some good retcons? What are some bad retcons? Do some of these retcons make it hard to tell a cohesive story in the Marvel Universe?

This may sound controversial but I do have issues with retcons to Loki's adoption by Odin because of the fact he was adopted as a baby in the original telling but now it was he was adopted as a child. It kind of ruined something heartwarming for Odin into another manipulation by Loki. I also didn't like the Leah is Hela reveal because of the fact in the past they were fully confirmed to be father and child.

Captain America being frozen, that's a classic. I wonder if people reacted badly to that one at its time.

Spectacular Member parker stark's Avatar

I've always hated that John Bryne, changed the Vision from being a reprogrammed original Human Torch, into having been made from spare parts for the Torch.

I'm also not liking that Tony Stark was recently revealed to have been adopted & is not a blood born Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by parker stark View Post
    I've always hated that John Bryne, changed the Vision from being a reprogrammed original Human Torch, into having been made from spare parts for the Torch.

I'm also not liking that Tony Stark was recently revealed to have been adopted & is not a blood born Stark.
    No Vision is a changed version of the Human Torch it kinda hard to explain it was explained in Avengers Forever most of what pre 2000th happened in the Avengers were retcon there to set things right. I touched countless stories.

Some things which included Operation Galactic Storm, Iron-Man betrayer pre Heros Reborn, the Scarlet Witch children, some old Story with Thor, Vision creation, and some other old stories basically Immortus manipulated the Avengers like a puppet doll.
    Last edited by TakoM; 12-12-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Retcons = lazy writing. When the plot matters more than the character itself.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good use for retcons is as clean-up when you have writers/editors who've screwed up and crapped all over a character, storyline, or setting element.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    This may sound controversial but I do have issues with retcons to Loki's adoption by Odin because of the fact he was adopted as a baby in the original telling but now it was he was adopted as a child. It kind of ruined something heartwarming for Odin into another manipulation by Loki. I also didn't like the Leah is Hela reveal because of the fact in the past they were fully confirmed to be father and child.
    I think they will change that again because the movie.he is adopted as a baby.

that is canon.
    tumblr_map9rmZhOp1qanlcbo1_400.jpg
    I am loving the baby!hair horns.

The Marvel Universe exists strictly in your head. Take what you like, ignore what you don't.

That's why all the silliness going on these days really doesn't affect me. My Marvel Universe is pretty much stuck in 1978.

Thank god for back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    The Marvel Universe exists strictly in your head. Take what you like, ignore what you don't.

That's why all the silliness going on these days really doesn't affect me. My Marvel Universe is pretty much stuck in 1978.
    *tosses you a beer for posting this*

This is EXACTLY what I do.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Not everyone can do that.

For myself I consider a retcon to be the sign that the writer really doesn't care or respect what has come before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    With all the major retcons that have happened in recent years, Spider-Man and MJ never being married and the recent revelations about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I think its a good time to talk about retcons in general.

What are some good retcons? What are some bad retcons? Do some of these retcons make it hard to tell a cohesive story in the Marvel Universe?
    Guys in regard to Wanda and quicksilver recon of not being the children of magnes and now rumors make it seem they may not event be mutants !? I wanted to ask what proof the comics showed that magnes was their father? I seem to remember a blood test that happened I think In X factor but not sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Retcons = lazy writing. When the plot matters more than the character itself.
    To be fair there have been some good retcons, like Cap being in frozen after the war instead of being active in the 50s. I also think there have been some good retcons with the villains, I think the original reveal of Ned Leeds as the Hobgoblin didn't work, so I am glad they retconned it to being Rodrick Kingsley. Chameleon and Kraven were not brothers originally, but they got some stories out their sibling relationship later. Heck Claremont turning Magneto into an Anti Villain is something of a retcon.

I actually think retcons work better with villains then heroes, we don't care about the villains as much, so we can experiment with them a bit more and sometimes a retcon expands upon an underdeveloped villain. Its when a retcon undoes decades of continuity with a beloved hero that it becomes controversial.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called “The Pledge”. The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course…it probably isn’t. The second act is called “The Turn”. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you’re looking for the secret… but you won’t find it, because of course you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn’t clap yet. Because making something disappear isn’t enough; you have to bring it back. That’s why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call “The Prestige”.

Only two things are certain in the Marvel Universe: resurrections and retcons. I usually keep the above quote in mind when it comes to both. The sad part is that most resurrections and retcons fail somewhere between the turn and the prestige.