Everyone is entitled to their opinions, obviously. Mine is pretty different from most everyone's in this thread so far. I thought the changes they made to Elektra really worked quite well. Yes, it's different from the comic, but that's because the show is trying to tell a story too, and needed the character to help say something. Thematically Elektra is one of the richest characters in the season, as her inner struggle mirrors Matt's. I'll keep the rest of my thoughts in spoilers below.

But it also bugs me that so many people are willing to take some very bad people at their word. More on this in the spoiler tag as well.

spoilers:
Seriously, we're taking the Hand at their word? Nobu was telling Elektra what he wanted her to hear so that she'd cooperate. Nothing we saw is inconsistent with season 1 at all. The child Black Sky that Stick killed was not yet "activated", but was clearly a weapon of great power. Elektra was another of these valuable weapons, but was similarly "un-activated." Nobu was singing the song that would lure Elektra willingly, so as to get his weapon without a fight. I suspect that Black Skies are merely capable of being vessels for The Beast, and this was the show's roundabout way of skipping some of the more hardcore mysticism. That would explain why they tried to convince Elektra she would lead them. Because she would, once she had been "activated" and possessed by whatever dark force they worship.

People are bringing up the adoption, or saying that her father's death is integral to the character. And you're right, as far as the comic version. But Stick is this version's dad, in every way that counts. Stick's betrayal serves the same purpose as the death of her father, in motivational terms, and keeps the emphasis on characters the audience is already familiar with. And the adoption angle plays very much into the show's core of the character, who wants a familiy to belong to; who wants someone, anyone to love her. In the end that person can ONLY be Matt, who sees her for who she is and accepts her anyway.

I don't know, I guess the changes just work for me. I found the character captivating. The way she acknowledges that the reason she left Matt in college is that he refuses to embrace the darkness within, and she doesn't want to keep trying to taint that, that she chose protecting him over her mission for Stick, really speaks to me. She and Matt are perfect for each other, and yet completely awful for each other. He brings out the best in her, and she the worst in him, and yet they both love it. It makes her sacrifice, her final act of heroism, so much more powerful. She's finally the woman Matt wishes she could be in that moment, free of the darker impulses of her soul. *shrug* To each their own, I guess.
end of spoilers