Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: Who is your all-time favorite Daredevil writer?

Who is your all-time favorite Daredevil writer?

With Daredevil celebrating his 40th anniversary in 2014 and a Netflix series on the way, who do you think is the all-time greatest Daredevil writer?

Vote on the poll here.

Not a fair poll... Frank Miller should run away with this. I think "2nd favorite writer" would be more competitive

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Yup, not a contest at all. Miller was just too good. Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, Nocenti and even Lee did some great stories but Miller can't be beaten. If only because of Born Again
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Extraordinary Member

Miller will win and, I think, deserves to (unlike Batman, where I don't think his influence has been that good). Every Daredevil run after Born Again is either an imitation of Miller or an attempt to do something different from Miller, but he casts his shadow over that comic the way Claremont does over every X-Men writer.

I voted for Waid, though, because his run is my favorite to read (even though I'd agree with those who say Born Again is the greatest run).

Miller is the best, but I voted for Kark Kesel. He's the most underrated DD writer ever.

Am I stupid? When did Ellis write Daredevil?
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Miller is the best, but I voted for Kark Kesel. He's the most underrated DD writer ever.
    Hugely underrated, I loved his run with Nord and Colan.
    How ironic (choke)

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Miller. Bendis gets a respectable second place, though. Man, DD has had some great runs.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Miller. Bendis gets a respectable second place, though. Man, DD has had some great runs.
    Yeah, as far as consistancy goes I think DD is way up there.

I think Miller is definately on a level all his own, with Bendis probably a very distant second.

If I could just say "Miller" I would, but due to forum constraints, I have to write more!

Spectacular Member

Waid shouldn't even be in the top three.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Am I stupid? When did Ellis write Daredevil?
    For one issue in 1995, apparently. Daredevil #343. During the "Jack Batlin" era.

I hadn't realized Warren Ellis had already written DD, either. I've been wanting him to have a run on the book for a while.

Guess that one issue was good enough for 9 people to prefer his work over everyone else's!
    Last edited by responsarbre; 12-11-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    For one issue in 1995, apparently. Daredevil #343. During the "Jack Batlin" era.

I hadn't realized Warren Ellis had already written DD, either. I've been wanting him to have a run on the book for a while.

Guess that one issue was good enough for 9 people to prefer his work over everyone else's!
    It was a really, really good issue sandwiched between two pretty bad runs (end of Chichesters', where he was so tired of all the editorial interference that he signed his scripts "Alan Smithee", and DeMatteis', which naturally had to go full-on spiritual/psychological). I'd really recommend checking it out if you find a copy.

Also, Ellis wrote a prose DD novella around the same time, but I don't think it was ever printed. That was the bankruptcy period, so a lot of projects were just thrown out. Ellis' End Times was another one.)

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I love Kesel's run. Such a breath of fresh air at the time. I wish Marvel would collect it. It's just about the perfect size for one of those Epic collections. Plus, Cary Nord has developed a pretty solid fanbase in the fifteen plus years since that DD run.

Bendis is my favorite. I loved Miller's work but I think I enjoyed Bendis's run a little more.

I think Mckenzie's run right before Miller is underrated too.
    We need better comics