Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Thoughts on the old Nightwing series (1996-2011)

I just started reading the 1996 Nightwing ongoing series. I'm about 15 issues in and I'm really enjoying the story. My only issue is the art. For those that remember the series:

1) Am I off base on the art?
    2) Is it an acquired taste, that I'm just missing out on, or is it a product of the '90s (I hear that term used..."well, it was the 90s...", but my comic book days stopped in 1990 and didn't pick up until 2011, so it loses a little meaning with me.)
    3) Does it improve...or is this how Nightwing is going to be for me?

Thanks!

I liked McDaniel's art. I thought it was dynamic. He stayed on the book until #40. Then Greg Land took over until #56. Then Trevor McCarthy.

With #70 Devin Grayson took over as writer with several different art teams. It was a low point in the series. She stayed on the book until #117(except for #101-106 by Dixon/McDaniel called Nightwing: Year One). Then Bruce Jones took over as writer #118-124. It was not well received by fans. Marv Wolfman took over from #125-137. I had dropped the book back after Devin's first arc.

#138-139 were written by Fabian Nicieza which was when I started reading the book again.

#140-153 was written by Peter Tomasi with art by Rags Morales/Don Kramer. I thought it was excellent.

Amazing Member

I'll have to dig out my back issues, but I remember liking the art when it came out. I remember panels that featured multiple NW poses (like a stop-motion effect) that communicated movement in a unique way, and that felt appropriate given Dick's circus heritage. But maybe I'm getting confused with the mini-series that pre-dated the ongoing series?

Anyway, I recall thinking that the creators did an excellent job at forming a whole world for Dick - new city, new villains, new supporting cast. And the different style of art, along with its unique colour-palette, was an important piece of that distinct identity.
    Last edited by Nlindsay; 05-12-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nlindsay View Post
    I'll have to dig out my back issues, but I remember liking the art when it came out. I remember panels that featured multiple NW posses (like a stop-motion effect) that really communicated movement in a unique way, at that felt appropriate given Dick's circus heritage. But maybe I'm getting confused with the mini-series that pre-dated the ongoing series?

Anyway, I recall thinking that the creators did an excellent job at forming a whole world for Dick - new city, new villains, new supporting cast. And the different style of art, along with its unique colour-palette, was an important piece of that distinct identity.
    You are right about the movement related poses, which I do agree are pretty neat to see. I think maybe what makes it difficult for me are the wild proportions and some of the facial expressions.

I agree that I like the world building. I also like that although there is a primary story taking place at this time for me, it still allows for other things to take place. So many things are so event oriented and they can drag, this has kept things fairly fresh for me even though the main story is still in play.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    I liked McDaniel's art. I thought it was dynamic. He stayed on the book until #40. Then Greg Land took over until #56. Then Trevor McCarthy.

With #70 Devin Grayson took over as writer with several different art teams. It was a low point in the series. She stayed on the book until #117(except for #101-106 by Dixon/McDaniel called Nightwing: Year One). Then Bruce Jones took over as writer #118-124. It was not well received by fans. Marv Wolfman took over from #125-137. I had dropped the book back after Devin's first arc.

#138-139 were written by Fabian Nicieza which was when I started reading the book again.

#140-153 was written by Peter Tomasi with art by Rags Morales/Don Kramer. I thought it was excellent.
    Thanks for the synopsis! I really appreciate it. How does someone name Grayson mess it up so bad?

For me the writing is more important than the art. Chuck Dixon was amazing on Nightwing & Robin. Favorite issue is #25 with Tim as a guest star.

I also thought that Tomasi captured the character of Dick Grayson perfectly.
    Last edited by md62; 05-12-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nlindsay View Post
    I'll have to dig out my back issues, but I remember liking the art when it came out. I remember panels that featured multiple NW posses (like a stop-motion effect) that really communicated movement in a unique way, at that felt appropriate given Dick's circus heritage.
    McDaniel has a very unique stylized art style which shows motion very well. IMO it worked great on Nightwing. I don't think he would be a good fit on a book like Green Lantern.

BANNED

Dixon and Tomasi were great. I had liked the idea of Dick becoming the curator of a museum because (1) Nobody ever expects museum curators to ever show up for work at all, let alone keep regular areas, (2) it opened opportunities for some "Indiana Jones" adventures. But like all cool ideas for Nightwing, it was tossed out quickly.

I like McDaniel's art, but now his art comes off as a bit dated. At least IMO. Nevertheless though i think i really suited that series and really helped to give it its identity.

BTW im still blown away over how far Trevor McCarthy's art has come since his Nightwing stint.

BANNED

I liked Land's art. Dick's girlfriends of the period all looked just alike, but day-um if they weren't awful purty.

When Dixon and McDaniel were on NIGHTWING, it was one of my top 3 favorite titles--with Dixon's DETECTIVE COMICS and BIRDS OF PREY rounding out the three. I loved McDaniel's art on the series but not on anything I saw of his afterward. Didn't he work on a Countdown series? Can't recall for certain but I was really disappointed in his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post

BTW im still blown away over how far Trevor McCarthy's art has come since his Nightwing stint.
    This. His work on Nightwing was a little overly cartoony. Now he's retained the stylistic feel while not looking ridiculous. He's one of my top 5 artists.

And on the Dixon/McDaniel run, the art bugged me too, but you eventually kinda get used to it.

Funny how Chuck Dixon writes Nightwing better than Greyson.

And Greyson writes Catwoman better Dixion

One of my favorite issues was #7 I think when the whole crime saga took a turn and Nightwing meets Blockhead, that was one heck of a cliffhanger.

I remember the series going downhill around issue #100 or so when Dick goes undercover and joins the Mob using his REAL name....what the heck is up with that.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 05-13-2014 at 11:35 AM.

BANNED

It really is some of the ugliest art I've seen in Batman-related comics.

One of my favorite books ever, one of the best runs as a whole. I was so excited when Dick finally recieved his own ongoing. It is 100% better than what we have now.