Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does every writer give the Blue Lanterns/Saint Walker a different power set?

So, in order to distract myself from the fact that there's a month until Sinestro #16 - Why are the Blue Lanterns so inconsistently powered? It's like they can't make up their minds what they can and cannot do. Sometimes they can heal, sometimes they can't. There have been instances of them manipulating/moving objects, but no confirmation. Today Walker claimed he can do almost nothing without a green ring which was slightly ridiculous.

I dont think Cullen Bunn failed to define what a Blue ring can do.

Without a GL around, he can fly, use translator, etc. To Battle, he needs a GL nearby. It was always like that (Geoff Johns wrote it like that). It means pretty much that a Blue ring will never be at full power without a GL ring around. It doesnt mean necessarily that it CAN or CAN'T heal.... it's not black or white. Maybe he can heal a little. Maybe he depends on the amount of will power of the user. I don't think every writer changes the power set. I just believe the power set is not very strict and changes depending on the user, which is good IMO.

Also, think about it. GL rings arent supposed to heal, but Simon Baz healed his brother (in-law?)... There's room to work with new stuff.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Well this issue was a little confusing, Sinestro said he could charge and heal, then Saint Walker said he couldn't without green. Now that could be a plot point - Walker protecting himself - but it seemed contrary to what's been seen before. Rejuvenating suns, regrowing Arkillo's tongue, charging rings - all that has been done without a green ring. I guess I just like consistency?

Mind you. I've been saying for ages I think the restrictions on the BL are silly. And then I read Sinestro's plan - maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Poor Saint Walker, in the clutches of the Sinestro corps, hope he survives the experience.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Me too! If he does come out of this with a stronger power set it'll be interesting if he survives it! Also curious to see if any mention will be given to his almost-friendship with Arkillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Elf View Post
    I guess I just like consistency?
    Don't get me wrong, man. I like it too... I deeply hate Venditti's GL work because of the lack of consistency and respect of what Geoff Johns did, which is pretty much half of the GL verse we know today.

Although, I do believe that not knowing "completely" what every ring does or the fact that they have great potential, written with respect and sense (unlike Venditti) is a great thing.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Sorry, on rereading that made me sound completely up myself! Apologies! I guess I'd just like a solid base that extends slightly beyond flight and translation. They have some interesting non-combative powers and I want to know more, but that's hard when they deem to change depending on who the writer is. But I am open to new ideas.

Was that who took over after Geoff Johns left? I did notice that it took only a few issues for them to screw over the Blue Lantens.

The same thing was done in the previous Lobo issue. Other ring bearers were downgraded to simple throw away red shirts. Between Bunn and Venditti, the rest of the corps are pretty much getting grounded down to nothing.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

For the same reason all super hero powers and abilities fluctuate. Plot devices.

A blue lanterns true power comes from those around him. For instance, if Sinestro can give the poor hope, by providing for them. Then it will be possible for Saint Walker to work with Sinestro. As long as sinestro's citizens/subjects have faith in him. Which I see as highly plausible. Sinestro is a fascist, not evil. He wants order, not destruction. If those little guys that were going to be destroyed by their own sun had no hope, then they would have failed to turn the sun blue. Hence, a BL power set will vary greatly depending on the situation. Its suppose to be that way. If BLs could make constructs and power blasts no one would need GLs would they?

Ive been floating this idea/suggestion around to myself. BLs should be able to use their own will or will of others to temporarily, with tremendous effort and concentration, create blasts and constructs. Maybe for a few seconds. This could also explain why we have seen a GL heal themselves or others. They were temporarily channeling hope. I'm not saying everyone should have white lantern powers. Just sparingly in specific situations.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS80 View Post
    For the same reason all super hero powers and abilities fluctuate. Plot devices.

A blue lanterns true power comes from those around him. For instance, if Sinestro can give the poor hope, by providing for them. Then it will be possible for Saint Walker to work with Sinestro. As long as sinestro's citizens/subjects have faith in him. Which I see as highly plausible. Sinestro is a fascist, not evil. He wants order, not destruction. If those little guys that were going to be destroyed by their own sun had no hope, then they would have failed to turn the sun blue. Hence, a BL power set will vary greatly depending on the situation. Its suppose to be that way. If BLs could make constructs and power blasts no one would need GLs would they?

Ive been floating this idea/suggestion around to myself. BLs should be able to use their own will or will of others to temporarily, with tremendous effort and concentration, create blasts and constructs. Maybe for a few seconds. This could also explain why we have seen a GL heal themselves or others. They were temporarily channeling hope. I'm not saying everyone should have white lantern powers. Just sparingly in specific situations.
    That's an interesting theory on how Saint Walker would be able to work with Sinestro. Unfortunately I doubt he's going to get off that lightly!

I agree that BLs shouldn't have the same power set as GLs. They're not primarily fighters and I like that about them. I like your idea that they should be able to channel will in certain situations. Take the attack on Odym for example, they were certainly fighting with plenty of will, it should have been enough to channel some green for defensive purposes.

I like how the Blue Lanterns power was used when they were under attack by the Reach. It made sense and to me highlighted that they are more defensive than offensive.
    Saint_Walker.jpg
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
    I like how the Blue Lanterns power was used when they were under attack by the Reach. It made sense and to me highlighted that they are more defensive than offensive.
    Saint_Walker.jpg
    Yeah, I liked how they did manage to power up somewhat, just not enough! Really, it would make sense that their full power could be unlocked by *either* a GL or by being attacked - the ring detects a threat and allows them to respond. That way you keep their defensive/non soldier style without leaving then largely defenceless.

But this scene highlights my issue - that was done *without* a GL nearby, yet currently Walker claims he can't do that. But I guess it suits the plot. :/

The Laughing Magician itzspooky's Avatar

doesnt outside hope also increase their power level? I have always took it that with the more people hoping for something the stronger they get. (I.e. when rejuvenating the sun)

BANNED

Just as an aside, aliens without noses look weak and ineffectual to me. That might need to be reconsidered.

Quote Originally Posted by itzspooky View Post
    doesnt outside hope also increase their power level? I have always took it that with the more people hoping for something the stronger they get. (I.e. when rejuvenating the sun)
    It's supposed to, but we haven't seen it for a long while. Though I believe that was mostly in a healing capacity. Though being able to rejuvenate a *sun* is pretty impressive!