pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Why won't a mailperson pick up the mail?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Having their mailman (or woman) not pick up the outgoing mail?

I just sent out 6 letters last week and they were picked up fine. Sent out 4 more identical ones on Tuesday and 2 days in a row, my mailman did not pick them up. In fact, today, he left them sticking way out of the outbox. I decided to just take it to a drop box down the street, but i'm still thinking "WTF"... I'll call the Post Master tomorrow, but this really grinds my gears!

I've read that it is law that they pick up your mail. But I have read that they also don't have to... USPS ppl are on both sides, at least according to a few other older discussions on this topic.

Does anyone here on CBR have any info or input??? Thanks!

edit:
    oh, I live in an apt complex - I don't think he's been forgetting to look or hasn't looked b/c I get no mail. It's an outbox for 18 ppl...
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 12-11-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Yeah, call the Post Office. It just sounds like you got stuck with a lazy ass carrier. It's happened a few times to me, too (must've always been someone filling in on a day off, because it was never with any consistancy).
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Must be nice. That's not how it works in the UK. Our mailmen don't collect post.

Another geographical effect. We're far too spread out not to offer pick-up.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

This is NOT unusual, especially this time of year.

I mail packages from my home every single day.
    In my case, I have been told that the post office has hired a lot of "fill in" workers, and they aren't always trained on mail pick up.
    I have had up to 15-20 packages simply ignored and not picked up from my porch.

A lot of times, our international first class packages are even stuffed back through our mail slot.
    This makes me livid.

USPS needs to get their **** together and train their fill in employees on mail pick up.
    I rely on mail pick up because I do not have time to run to the post office.
    If they're going to offer the service, their employees need to be made aware of it, so that their customers do not get left inconvenienced.
    Not to mention the fact that I've printed shipping labels which, in turn, send a shipping notification to my customers that a package has been shipped to them.
    When they do not pick them up, the packages aren't scanned, and any of my customers who check the tracking on their packages are wondering why they're only getting the info of "Shipping label has been printed".
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Another geographical effect. We're far too spread out not to offer pick-up.
    Hah. Where I live we don't have room to put postboxes, because all the offices and roads and buidings'd be in the way. Instead we just have slits in our front doors and public 'drop boxes' aplenty. Oh and we like our grass of course.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-12-2014 at 06:15 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

Can't you just ask your dad to drive you to a post office?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this? Having their mailman (or woman) not pick up the outgoing mail?

I just sent out 6 letters last week and they were picked up fine. Sent out 4 more identical ones on Tuesday and 2 days in a row, my mailman did not pick them up. In fact, today, he left them sticking way out of the outbox. I decided to just take it to a drop box down the street, but i'm still thinking "WTF"... I'll call the Post Master tomorrow, but this really grinds my gears!

I've read that it is law that they pick up your mail. But I have read that they also don't have to... USPS ppl are on both sides, at least according to a few other older discussions on this topic.

Does anyone here on CBR have any info or input??? Thanks!

edit:
    oh, I live in an apt complex - I don't think he's been forgetting to look or hasn't looked b/c I get no mail. It's an outbox for 18 ppl...
    Yeah, if there's an outgoing box with letters in it and he's refusing to pick them up, then you're mailman's just being churlish. I'd make it a point to hand them to him directly.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Can't you just ask your dad to drive you to a post office?
    not sure if...

Anyway, PO said I was the first to complain (but from what I saw, I was the only person w/ outgoing mail those 2 days). They said they'd send a supervisor to check it out... All blowing smoke, I'm sure, but oh well. I didn't ask regarding the legalities behind it, though.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

OP glad to hear you called, but keep on this. I once had rotten service at an NYC post office around holiday time, the window clerk bitched at me for bringing over 40 domestic and international packages when the PO just opened. I said, two things, I pay your salary and you are supposed to take care of my needs whether I have one package or fifty. Long story short, he kept bitching and I reported him to the Post Master General. This window clark was demoted to sorting and the Post Master General apologized profusely. And this was at a major NYC post office, so keep on it.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Please never tell people "I pay your salary." as if it somehow gave you power of them. You don't, and it doesn't. You paying taxes/frequenting a business does not give you power or supervisory control over that business or its employees. It just makes you look like an entitled ass. The rest was fine, but that "I pay your salary" bullshit is enough to get any employee's back up and make their attitude towards you worse.

If you stopped going there, they'd still get paid, so you do NOT pay ANYONE'S salary unless you're actually their boss.
    'Dox out.

Incredible Member

It is the rule that a mail carrier must pick up outgoing mail. Was there some problem with the mail (no stamp, flipping the return address with the mailing address, the flag wasn't up)?

And saying "I pay your salary" is wrong since until you actually pay for postage you haven't paid his/her salary. And before the counter opens the clerk has probably already worked a few hours sorting the massive amount of packages that are coming in this time of year so they're probably already stressed (but it still doesn't excuse their bad behavior).

For us, in Singapore, if we want to deliver a mail, we drop it in post box or at the post office.
    There is no one to pick up the mail for you.