Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

The best I can say is that the animation and fidelity to the games looks amazing. And Jack Black sounds great as Bowers.

I'll have to hear more from Pratt to decide one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Teaser looked good. Jack Black was fantastic as Bowser. I thought Pratt's Mario voice was fine. In fact, he had a little bit of a Brooklyn accent in that last line so he sounded more like MY Mario than anyone has in like 20 years. I remember when I was younger being really thrown by Martinet's high-pitched Mario voice the first time I heard it because I was so used to the one from the cartoons.

You know, I don't know if younger people know how much that voice and the whole "brothers from Brooklyn" back story was the standard for non-game Mario stuff back in the '80s? But it was. They used it in three different cartoon series. They used that back story in comics and Nintendo "choose-your-own-adventure" books. That's kind of how that kind of thing happened back in the '80s. A company would develop some toys or a video game, then they'd either hire a couple of comic writers or license the property out to a comics or cartoon company to handle the heavy lifting of creating any kind of lore. Of course, the basics of that take was also used in that awful live action movie and it was pretty much scorched earth for that version after that.
    I agree, Pratt's voice is perfectly fine. Honestly, the Martinet voice would get grating after a few minutes. Its not really suited to long form story telling. I'm gonna be 100% honest, in my head canon, Lou Albano will always be Mario's real voice.

And as far as I know, Mario's official origin is still Brooklyn. They've never highlighted that in the recent games, but they never changed it either.
    Last edited by MikeP; 10-06-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    Life is but a dream

If anyone is interested in watching the first Mario Bros movie for free on Youtube. It was updated to 4k, with subtitles and has some nice animation.

#InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is the formula for that the NCU (Nintendo Cinematic Universe) will follow;

PHASE 1

> Super Mario Bros Movie (Mario fights Bowser)
    > Donkey Kong Country (Donkey Kong's bananas get stolen by a bunch reptiles known as the Kremlin Crew and DK and his pal Diddy have too get them back. At the end of the film, Mario meets Donkey Kong at a bar and talks about "putting together a team.")
    > Metroid (A bounty called Metroid has been tasked with gathering intelligence on a nasty bunch of people called the Space Pirates on the Planet Zebes. Basically, it will be the NCU's GotG)
    > Kirby's Dreamland (About an eldritch pink blob that consumes. The peasants of the planet Pop Star try to use this cosmic horror to defeat their overlord, King Dedededededededede and the Spanish-speaking Metaknight. It will be hinted that Metaknight is actually the same species as Kirby but will never be addressed again)
    > Zelda Ocarina of Time (It will be the greatest film ever, 100% RT score, 10 oscars, 99 Metacritic score)
    > Super Smash Bros (This is it, all the classic heroes will join together to confront a new menace called 'The Master Hand' and his snap is 10x more powerful than lame Thanos)
    Sign me up.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I agree, Pratt's voice is perfectly fine. Honestly, the Martinet voice would get grating after a few minutes. Its not really suited to long form story telling. I'm gonna be 100% honest, in my head canon, Lou Albano will always be Mario's real voice.

And as far as I know, Mario's official origin is still Brooklyn. They've never highlighted that in the recent games, but they never changed it either.
    Well, you could say Yoshi's Island contradicted it because of Baby Mario's presence in that game. But truthfully, the Mario games pretty much defy the concept of canon. Either by framing entire games as being not real or by doing crazy things and then never addressing the concept again. I mean, the American Super Mario Bros. 2 game was framed as a dream Mario had. Super Mario Bros. 3 was a stage production. Heck, according to Super Mario Land 2, Mario is the ruler of a place called Marioland. A country that Wario conquered while he was out saving Princess Daisy. This has, of course, never really been brought up again.

But that's pretty much how it is on the game development side of things. I think Nintendo doesn't really see all of it as characters and stories so much as player avatars and exercises in creative level development. The games are their own thing. And other media is another thing extrapolated from the games.

You know, I don't know if younger people know how much that voice and the whole "brothers from Brooklyn" back story was the standard for non-game Mario stuff back in the '80s? But it was. They used it in three different cartoon series. They used that back story in comics and Nintendo "choose-your-own-adventure" books. That's kind of how that kind of thing happened back in the '80s. A company would develop some toys or a video game, then they'd either hire a couple of comic writers or license the property out to a comics or cartoon company to handle the heavy lifting of creating any kind of lore. Of course, the basics of that take was also used in that awful live action movie and it was pretty much scorched earth for that version after that.
    It's not just a U.S. thing either. Japan made a Mario anime and it used the idea that he was from Brooklyn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Agreed compltley, although in a pinch, I'm willing to accept Bob Hoskins.

Well, you could say Yoshi's Island contradicted it because of Baby Mario's presence in that game. But truthfully, the Mario games pretty much defy the concept of canon. Either by framing entire games as being not real or by doing crazy things and then never addressing the concept again. I mean, the American Super Mario Bros. 2 game was framed as a dream Mario had. Super Mario Bros. 3 was a stage production. Heck, according to Super Mario Land 2, Mario is the ruler of a place called Marioland. A country that Wario conquered while he was out saving Princess Daisy. This has, of course, never really been brought up again.

But that's pretty much how it is on the game development side of things. I think Nintendo doesn't really see all of it as characters and stories so much as player avatars and exercises in creative level development. The games are their own thing. And other media is another thing extrapolated from the games.
    This is something I like to think of as "Bugs Bunny continuity".

Bugs Bunny is in the wild west, modern times, medival times, he's just an actor reading scripts, but those scripts are based on his real life, he's met Elmer Fudd about a dozen different times for the first time and somehow it ALL counts.

There is a lot of weird video game lore from the early Nintendo games that isn't really canon anymore. Like in the original Zelda lore, the religion of Hyrule was Christianity and Link was a Christian. There is even official art of Link praying to Christ on the Cross. Pokemon famously references real world animals (Raichu shocking Indian elephants).

Mario is a bit different, like, a lot of these stories are clearly episodic with no clear continuity except certain game play elements. Should be noted though that there is a character called Spike in this movie, which I thought was supposed to be the green pompadour koopa that throws spikes at yah, but is actually a character from a game called Wrecking Crew. In that game Mario is working at a demolition site which might be his job in this movie before he gets PIPED. Imagine Donkey Kong shows up there too.

Astonishing Member

I'm starting to realize a lot of my reaction to this trailer is nostalgia for the Mario media of my youth. Mind you, not the actual media but the concept of it. Truthfully, Mario and Luigi here will probably not be from Brooklyn but from "New Donk City" or whatever it was in Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm starting to realize a lot of my reaction to this trailer is nostalgia for the Mario media of my youth. Mind you, not the actual media but the concept of it. Truthfully, Mario and Luigi here will probably not be from Brooklyn but from "New Donk City" or whatever it was in Super Mario Odyssey.
    A lot of people genuinely hate isekai origin for Mario and yeah, it is strongly hinted that New Donk City is where the events of Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew both took place. Should be noted though that Shigeru Miyamoto wasn't actually involved much at all with Odyssey so he might not consider it to be canon.

A lot of people genuinely hate isekai origin for Mario and yeah, it is strongly hinted that New Donk City is where the events of Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew both took place. Should be noted though that Shigeru Miyamoto wasn't actually involved much at all with Odyssey so he might not consider it to be canon.
    Really? I've never actually heard anyone that hates it.

As for Donkey Kong... now that's opening a whole new kettle of weird continuity.

At various points current Donkey Kong has been explained away as being both DK Jr. and DK Jr's son except in spin-off/sports titles (and that one game where they were all babies) where he's treated like he was the original Donkey Kong all along.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Miyamoto doesn't believe in canon. To him games are episodic.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Really? I've never actually heard anyone that hates it.

As for Donkey Kong... now that's opening a whole new kettle of weird continuity.

At various points current Donkey Kong has been explained away as being both DK Jr. and DK Jr's son except in spin-off/sports titles (and that one game where they were all babies) where he's treated like he was the original Donkey Kong all along.
    In the DKC series Cranky is the original Donkey Kong. Trying to connect his series with Mario is a lost cause

Trailer tomorrow.

From the posters looks like the mario bros plumber's slogan is "were the mario bros are plumbings our game!"

Thats the song from the super mario super show! Will we get a optimus prime easter egg from saturday supercade?

Life is but a dream