Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video Game Cinematics That Blew You Away

When I was a kid, I didn't care too much about video game cinematic scenes. But to be honest, there weren't that many of them. I grew up on Super Nintendo, and while the SNES had a few amazing, stunning examples of cinematics that were really cutting-edge for their time, I never gave the much attention because... well, I was a kid, and I wanted to play the game.

As I've gotten older, though, I've come to appreciate these cinematic sequences much, much more. To the point where there's some games where the cinematics are the highlight for me, and I look them up to this day to relive the magic.

What are some for you guys?

For me, I think the first game that did this for me was Final Fantasy VIII. That opening cinematic blew my freaking mind, and it still impresses me today. The cinematic sequence and the music are beautiful, and the cinematics continue to look just as stunning throughout the entire game. Even in little intro sequences that last maybe 10 seconds to introduce characters like Selphie or Irvine look stunning and amazingly detailed.

Kingdom Hearts also really blew me away. This was the first game I ever played on the PlayStation 2. My brother and I got the system and the game for Christmas one year, and I can't tell you how many times I've watched the opening cinematic or listened to Simple & Clean. The entire game itself is beautifully rendered and to this day, KH is still one of those games that for me is sort of magical. The blend of Square and Disney was just done so perfectly.

Other games that impressed me with their cinematics:
    - The entire BioShock franchise (and the game's graphics, atmosphere, setting in general)
    - Dead Space
    - Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood
    - Team Fortress 2 (I have to include these because they're incredibly well done and they're freaking hilarious)
    - Starcraft II (Okay, I have NOT played this game-- but I've watched my brother play it and he's shown me the cinematics and holy crap)
    - Resident Evil 4 (today these don't look quite as impressive but this game came out when I was 11 and it was pretty amazing to me and they're still well-done)
    - The Elder Scrolls IV & V: Oblivion & Skyrim
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Spider-Prime's Only Fan Spider-Prime's Avatar

Blizzard always made great cutscenes, so I will say for a lot of their games, like the Diablo games and Starcraft.

But, nothing will ever beat Resident Evil opening cutscene!

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Resurrecting continents in Terranigma.

And years before Aerith Gainsborough made dying cool, Alys Brangwin shows us how its done in Phantasy Star 4.

Skyrim for me. I honestly had no desire to play it, but watching my boyfriend play the opening just blew me away and I had to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Skyrim for me. I honestly had no desire to play it, but watching my boyfriend play the opening just blew me away and I had to have it.
    On a related note...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    On a related note...
    Im getting ready to build a new pc, and someone asked why i would spend all that money when i could just get a ps4 or xboxone.
    I think i posted this video in response.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Im getting ready to build a new pc, and someone asked why i would spend all that money when i could just get a ps4 or xboxone.
    I think i posted this video in response.
    It's a valid response to most questions, really.

If anyone had an amiga, you might remember the cinematics in the running man. "It's Showtime!"

Spider-Prime's Only Fan Spider-Prime's Avatar

I still love the cut scenes to most of the Metal Gear games. I feel like playing all of htem again before MGS5 comes out.
    Last edited by Spider-Prime; 12-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Life is but a dream

If we can go even earlier...

This completely blew my 8 year old mind.
    Life is but a dream

Superman`s Thong

Quote Originally Posted by crebo View Post
    If anyone had an amiga, you might remember the cinematics in the running man. "It's Showtime!"
    wow man! Amiga! it has really some very nice and cult games like cinemaware`s or psygnosis`games. back in those times cut scenes / cinematics were very short and even to get, to see a cut scene or a very short cinematic you had to achieve something important after many hours or sometimes days`of playing hard.. and when you see it it was really worth.. now, less gameplay more cinematics.. even some of the games are like a movie with some pressing buttons in it.

Blizzard, especially Warcrafts series.

The first one to make me really hyped was when I built an arrow in Wonderful 101, shot it at my enemy, and then grabbed it and split them and their machine in half. That was pretty great.

Really liked the ones in Hotline Miami though. After Chapter 10, the amount of **** going down was just too much for my heart.