Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 Spoilers / Discussion

Anybody else pick this up? I grabbed it on a whim while I was in the comic shop.

Nothing outstanding, but one solid main story with some nice art; an "Amazing Spider-Aunt" backup that's cartoony and charming, and a final story with Spider-man taking on some Steve Gerber (?) created villains such as Dr Bong.

I liked the art quite a bit in the main story, though it looks like Spider-man is pasted over top of the backgrounds sometimes.

It's kinda telling that no one bothered posting about what is ostensibly an issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

I did like the Aunt May comic strip. The back-up with the oddball villains is fine.

With the main story, Peterson's art is nice. Similar to Joe Quesada, although some of the pasting is rather odd. I get the point of Spidey trying to do the right thing, but this is borderline Flanderization. It's also a bit strange to be reminded of the current status quo, given how the latest issues haven't focused on Peter's job much.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's kinda telling that no one bothered posting about what is ostensibly an issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

I did like the Aunt May comic strip. The back-up with the oddball villains is fine.

With the main story, Peterson's art is nice. Similar to Joe Quesada, although some of the pasting is rather odd. I get the point of Spidey trying to do the right thing, but this is borderline Flanderization. It's also a bit strange to be reminded of the current status quo, given how the latest issues haven't focused on Peter's job much.
    Yeah, seconded. It seems targeted at people who picked up ASM Vol 3 #1 from the beginning, what with the repeat appearance of White Rabbit and her Menagerie, or whatever name they go by.

What was with Hawkeye being deaf? Other than that, I thought it was a pretty fun, if fluffy, issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    What was with Hawkeye being deaf? Other than that, I thought it was a pretty fun, if fluffy, issue.
    I didn't get that either. Then Spidey has laringytis in the last story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    It's a longstanding bit of Hawkeye's history and background. One time, he deliberately exposed himself to an overcharged sonic arrow to beat a sound-manipulating villain, and ended up needing a hearing aid. Then Heroes Reborn/Return came around and . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Yeah, seconded. It seems targeted at people who picked up ASM Vol 3 #1 from the beginning, what with the repeat appearance of White Rabbit and her Menagerie, or whatever name they go by.
    Yeah, that threw me for a loop. Thought there for a second that it was taking place during the egg heist from #1! But I did like Pete just sorta dismissing them as not worth his time.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's a longstanding bit of Hawkeye's history and background. One time, he deliberately exposed himself to an overcharged sonic arrow to beat a sound-manipulating villain, and ended up needing a hearing aid. Then Heroes Reborn/Return came around and . . .
    Yeah, but as you said, Reborn fixed his hearing issues. I'd say maybe this was a flashback, but he was in his modern costume. I dunno.

(Crossfire was the villain in question, BTW.)

Fantastic Member

Hawkeye's hearing problems came back after a beating he took in his current solo book

Didn't care for the main story much. Peter seriously stayed up all night to return someone's cellphone and forgot about work? Do they want us to think Spidey is a complete buffoon? Spidey used to have problems that were real and difficult for anyone and he would somehow pull through, he wasn't portaryed as a complete doofus.

I know at this point in his life he's obsessed with being Spidey, but it was a little over done in this issue.

Yeah. The fact Peter is salivating at the window watching cop cars go to an emergency tells you the state of Spiderman at the minute. There is nothing going on, and Spidey needs a fix badly, so his Boy Scout sense kicks in and he has to return someone's cell phone or Uncle Ben will turn over in his grave. "Yeah, yeah. I'll read the report. I'll just go home". He never makes it home.

Why has Peter got laryngitis? Because he had to shout all the time because Hawkeye is deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Yeah. The fact Peter is salivating at the window watching cop cars go to an emergency tells you the state of Spiderman at the minute. There is nothing going on, and Spidey needs a fix badly, so his Boy Scout sense kicks in and he has to return someone's cell phone or Uncle Ben will turn over in his grave. "Yeah, yeah. I'll read the report. I'll just go home". He never makes it home.

Why has Peter got laryngitis? Because he had to shout all the time because Hawkeye is deaf.
    That's the thing, the story is set now that Peter doesn't to take responsibility for his own company and is purposely looking to screw up. You get that Parker Industries was started by Otto and everything but it was found on more moral grounds. Then you add in to us being forced to understand why Sanji now wants it to burn to the ground and take over. Because: "Peter doesn't care." That's not the Peter Parker I've known and loved for years. He would either find a way to make it work or sell it off to Tony Stark and give everyone a good payout and then donate his payout to charity because he can't take it being rich and to do it so he is focused on being Spider-Man 24/7 instead of worrying about money. That would make an interesting story but alas, Peter just has to be shown to be purposely screwing up his life.
    Mooper Films

I LOL'd when he dove for the phone screaming "It doesn't have a case!".

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    That's the thing, the story is set now that Peter doesn't to take responsibility for his own company and is purposely looking to screw up. You get that Parker Industries was started by Otto and everything but it was found on more moral grounds. Then you add in to us being forced to understand why Sanji now wants it to burn to the ground and take over. Because: "Peter doesn't care." That's not the Peter Parker I've known and loved for years. He would either find a way to make it work or sell it off to Tony Stark and give everyone a good payout and then donate his payout to charity because he can't take it being rich and to do it so he is focused on being Spider-Man 24/7 instead of worrying about money. That would make an interesting story but alas, Peter just has to be shown to be purposely screwing up his life.
    I am convinced part of why Peter Parker works as Spiderman is because he divorces himself from the worldly concerns, and it is past time where this world has to impact on Parkers "duty", and that's why Parker is a Superior Spiderman than Otto. Otto, as we saw, came to grief and died being Spiderman in about 35 issues, while Peter was fighting the Molten Man after 35 issues, and lasted 5 decades, because of how Peter approaches the "duty". You can't be Spiderman part time. What is Spiderman? He is the vigilante that feels concern and has compassion for his criminal cliental. We saw it in the 3rd story, when the Menagerie treated him like a brother all because Spidey didn't talk to them, because Peter had laringitis. That sort of respect and commeraderie that villains have for Spiderman is what was matured and worked on to achieve. They almost missed Spideys banter like it was the free entertainment when they get caught. Otto just beat them to within an inch of their life, or just shot them.

Yes, Peter should be more mature to look after Ottos legacy, but it isn't Peters legacy. Parker Industries is just a pipe dream to Parker, so he will have less investment in the company than Sanji, so I do see Sanji forcing Parker to hand it to her, and she changes it to Sanji Industries, and hires Parker on an casual basis. Seeing Peter like a slavering rabid dog after the criminal bone did seem a tad too overboard, but it demonstrated where Peters commitment lies in a very harsh manner.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb brown View Post
    I LOL'd when he dove for the phone screaming "It doesn't have a case!".
    Yep. Priorities!
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"