Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    The Guy with a Poleaxe FrostyFlakes's Avatar
    Just messing around in the Helicarrier...

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    On the Bright side Cap defeated Master Chief in a popularity vote

YAY for Cap!
    Brave Bear Bunny (SHSO) l Agent Tacitus (MAA)
    Signature Hero: Captain America
    "Anyone up for a game of Vibranium Frisbee?"

ok, this is my first ever post on this forum (so please be kind).

i grew up reading comics, spiderman, superman, jla, avengers, teen titans, among many others, and as i got older, work from the vertigo and dark horse labels. then i started working full time and i just stopped reading. for decades. after i watched ca:tws, i wanted to know more about bucky, and i to my joy my love of comics has resurfaced as a result. i am still finding my way, i have started reading the avengers from 2006, currently up to 2013, and i have just finished brubaker's run on captain america. if only brubaker hadn't left.

i'm 11 issues into remender's run, and i have to say, i am not feeling it. i found his dimension z arc a bit of a slog, and right now, i am reading a scene where steve's mum is giving some sort of presidential style speech to steve about how "optimism is the american state of being" (really, because i tend to think that is a human trait, not solely an american one) when the poor little boy has literally just found out that his mother is going to die. what mum would speak to their child in such formal, sterile terms? i am struggling with remender's writing style; the way people speak to each other does not come across as authentic. someone who is further along, please tell me this comic gets better. i may have to abandon ship, and i really don't want to as i love cap.

Quote Originally Posted by sdb68 View Post

i grew up reading comics, spiderman, superman, jla, avengers, teen titans, among many others, and as i got older, work from the vertigo and dark horse labels. then i started working full time and i just stopped reading. for decades. after i watched ca:tws, i wanted to know more about bucky, and i to my joy my love of comics has resurfaced as a result. i am still finding my way, i have started reading the avengers from 2006, currently up to 2013, and i have just finished brubaker's run on captain america. if only brubaker hadn't left.

i'm 11 issues into remender's run, and i have to say, i am not feeling it. i found his dimension z arc a bit of a slog, and right now, i am reading a scene where steve's mum is giving some sort of presidential style speech to steve about how "optimism is the american state of being" (really, because i tend to think that is a human trait, not solely an american one) when the poor little boy has literally just found out that his mother is going to die. what mum would speak to their child in such formal, sterile terms? i am struggling with remender's writing style; the way people speak to each other does not come across as authentic. someone who is further along, please tell me this comic gets better. i may have to abandon ship, and i really don't want to as i love cap.

welcome to the boards! Honestly, I feel just like you do. Remender seems (to me) like he's been out to dismantle Cap since the beginning of his run
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Omega View Post
    welcome to the boards! Honestly, I feel just like you do. Remender seems (to me) like he's been out to dismantle Cap since the beginning of his run
    ...?

That's kind of a Captain America staple. Every writer, on every run (save, perhaps Waid's second run) has set about deconstructing Cap and tearing his world down around him. Everyone's favorite Brubaker run full set Steve aside to focus on Bucky, then killed Steve altogether so it could be 'all Bucky, all the time'.

It's a completely irrational and unfounded critique to throw at the current run. If you've read Captain America at any point since the silver age, this is the kind of story you've been reading. :/
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

True, but Brubaker is talented and his run was incredible. Plus everyone knew that Steve's death was temporary.

My "critique" was neither of those things. Remender has dismantled Cap. It's possible I'm being unfair to Remender by making such a blanket statement so let me further state that I dislike everything he's done on his run. Taking back my original statement I find his run to be dry and boring
    Last edited by Doc Omega; 09-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.

BTW I have no desire to spark an argument / fight. It's just my opinion. If you disagree with it, I respect that

BANNED

I have actually liked all of Rememenders run. To which I was surprised because I was pretty sure I would hate it. The deminsion Z story line to me is among some of the best Cap stories I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I have actually liked all of Rememenders run. To which I was surprised because I was pretty sure I would hate it. The deminsion Z story line to me is among some of the best Cap stories I have read.
    I think the book sales went up quite a bit, so you must be in the majority on that

thank you for your welcome i am up to issue 18 now, and i can see my problem with this work more clearly now. i do not mind if cap is deconstructed, i can understand a the new writer wanting to make his mark. however it is so unrelentingly bleak. cap takes no pleasure in his friends, or in life. he sees no purpose in what he does, even though surely there can be nothing more purposeful than serving and aiding people who are vulnerable. he has allied himself with a conflicted, negative, hostile woman who seems to be a malign influence on him - what an objectionable character jet black is. if i met anyone like that i would stay as far away from them as possible, so it brings me no pleasure to have to read about her.

in the darkest, bleakest of times, there is always a little bit of light to hold on to. that is how we survive. but there is no light in steve's life, and i read this as remender trying a little too hard to demonstrate that steve is having a very hard time. the way cap is being written at the moment, it is hard for me to see why cap has not killed himself. we can see that he has a great will, and he can heal his body; i would like to see evidence of his mind starting to heal a bit as well, as someone with his characteristics would. a little bit of humour would not hurt, or some banter, to give a different texture to the book. unrelenting negativity can become tedious after a while. man, i am sure i am not wording this very well, but i know what i mean...i want to see steve facing the kaleidoscope of life, which includes ups and well as downs.

thank you for your welcome i am up to issue 18 now, and i can see my problem with this work more clearly now. i do not mind if cap is deconstructed, i can understand a the new writer wanting to make his mark. however it is so unrelentingly bleak. cap takes no pleasure in his friends, or in life. he sees no purpose in what he does, even though surely there can be nothing more purposeful than serving and aiding people who are vulnerable. he has allied himself with a conflicted, negative, hostile woman who seems to be a malign influence on him - what an objectionable character jet black is. if i met anyone like that i would stay as far away from them as possible, so it brings me no pleasure to have to read about her.

in the darkest, bleakest of times, there is always a little bit of light to hold on to. that is how we survive. but there is no light in steve's life, and i read this as remender trying a little too hard to demonstrate that steve is having a very hard time. the way cap is being written at the moment, it is hard for me to see why cap has not killed himself. we can see that he has a great will, and he can heal his body; i would like to see evidence of his mind starting to heal a bit as well, as someone with his characteristics would. a little bit of humour would not hurt, or some banter, to give a different texture to the book. unrelenting negativity can become tedious after a while. man, i am sure i am not wording this very well, but i know what i mean...i want to see steve facing the kaleidoscope of life, which includes ups and well as downs.
    I agree. You've made the point much better than I did

Well I have been reading comics without stop since the late 70s (born 1970) and I collected and read Captain America comics (and he was/is one of my favorite characters) and I also think the current run is horrible. I tried to give Dimension Z a try and I found it awful and amateurish. I also think the creative team is getting Cap wrong as a person and they don't get what makes him and his situation unique.

In any case, Old Steve was done before when Red Skull de-aged him back in issue #300 I think for their last epic fight (at that time). So as of now I am off of reading Cap in his own book and until the story changes - maybe new creative team - I won't return.

True, but Brubaker is talented and his run was incredible. Plus everyone knew that Steve's death was temporary.

My "critique" was neither of those things. Remender has dismantled Cap. It's possible I'm being unfair to Remender by making such a blanket statement so let me further state that I dislike everything he's done on his run. Taking back my original statement I find his run to be dry and boring
    Remender had Captain America burning is memorabilia when he got back from Dimension Z. As if to symbolically let go of the past that was haunting him? I found that so wrong for the Cap character. I remember Cap being tied up and the Masters Of Evil destroying his memorabilia like crushing is first shield. The anguish in Cap's face as drawn by John Buscema was real to me - still remember it from the 80s.

Cap could not sell the memorabilia and raise money for homeless vets? Donate it to the Smithsonian? He has to burn it to somehow help himself? That is horrible writing and shows the writer does not understand Cap nor probably has ever read Cap as a regular series fan.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 09-28-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    Remender had Captain America burin is memorabilia when he got back from Dimension Z. As if to symbolically let go of the past that was haunting him? I found that so wrong for the Cap character. I remember Cap being tied up and the Masters Of Evil destroying his memorabilia like crushing is first shield. The anguish in Cap's face as drawn by John Buscema was real to me - still remember it from the 80s.

Cap could not sell the memorabilia and raise money for homeless vets? Donate it to the Smithsonian? He has to burn it to somehow help himself? That is horrible writing and shows the writer does not understand Cap nor probably has ever read Cap as a regular series fan.
    I forgot about that, but you're right.

I forgot about that, but you're right.
    I don't get down on people for liking the Dimension Z story. When I say I don't like it I want to flesh out why I don't like the story and how Cap is characterized.

I can't figure out how to post a picture of that Masters Of Evil scene but here it is, Cap at his most human and relatable. FU to Remender.

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2009...-avengers.html
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 09-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.