Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default What the Sony Email Hacks Have Revealed About "Spider-Man's" Film Future

The Sony email hacks have brought many details about the company's "Spider-Man" franchise to light, including the possibility of a Marvel crossover.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The Sony execs are worried about the franchise

Certainly, the fact that a deal with Marvel may be on the table might be an indication of this on its own, but emails obtained by O Vértice imply that Sony executives aren't quite sure how viable a property "Spider-Man" can be without the aid of the greater Marvel Universe. A conversation (published on the site translated from English to Brazilian) between Jeff Robinov and Amy Pascal discusses possibly bringing on Stan Lee to invent a new character for Sony to exploit. Furthermore, the conversation implies that unless Sony decides to partner with Marvel, they're running out of options.

Spider-Man shouldn't need the rest of the MU to be popular. The problem is that Sony has no idea what makes Spider-Man such a compelling character and has zero clue about how to take those concepts and translate them onto the big screen.

Look at the last film for example. Peter Parker would never run up onto the graduation stage and kiss his girlfriend. More to the point, no one at his high school would cheer him on. The only time Peter can be spontaneous and funny like that is when he is in costume.

Another problem is Sony's apparent love of the Green Goblin. The Osborns were a huge focus for the original trilogy and, with ASM 2, became the principle villains for the new series of movies. Spider-Man has lots of other villains in his rogue's gallery. We don't need to see the Goblins pop back up.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

If Marvel wants to bring Spidey back with a clean slate and back burner the emo romancy stuff in new movies I am all for it. For all the good of the ASM movies, I love Garfield's quippy Spider-Man, so much was done wrong. I am all for shaking that baggage and starting again with an established spidey so we dont need yet another movie where Uncle Ben dies.

Make it so, number one. Spider-Man/Civil War. Yes.

I was just not a huge fan of both The Amazing Spider-Man films...and Sony is probably that their plans for Spider-series of films aren't tracking well. I agree that if a unification should take place, that it would be worth getting a new Spidey. Yes, all of the fans may grown in having to relive yet another origin story, but we see it all the time with Batman and there are storytelling ways of slipping in ol' Webhead without having to do a huge origin.
    Reading Miracleman, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Eternal, Earth2, Gotham Academy.

Who The Hell is Peter Palmer?

The ASM films are seriously flawed, but casting is one of the few things they've gotten right. I actually like Andrew Garfield as both Spider-Man AND Peter Parker, and I think most of the actors have been able to turn in really consistent performances, if not sometimes limited by the material they're being handed.

That said, if Spidey is to exist in the MCU, he'd have to be recast. As much as I've come to like Garfield, I'm OK with him being replaced if it means getting a canonical Spider-Man film that's on par with the rest of the MCU, in terms of quality.

So, what if--for the first time... they cast someone age appropriate? I say, let's get an actual 14 or 15 year old who looks and sounds like a baby. They could make it work like the Harry Potter films, with his age progressing naturally as the films go on. Think Ultimate Spider-Man; I think it'd be great to be able to explore the dynamic between a teenaged Peter Parker and his adult colleagues in a way that's akin to Bendis's original Ultimate Spidey series. Particularly the clashing of heads between Peter and Nick Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D. (though that could be tricky given the whole Hydra thing...) I think that's the best course of option at this point, though. The main reason people were pissed off with TASM is because it rebooted the preceding trilogy so soon after the fact. Even with popular opinion on TASM as low as it is, a second reboot so soon would likely garner similar feelings of anti-reboot. Sure, hardcore MCU and Spidey fans would rejoice, but the rest of the population who doesn't care quite as much about that kind of stuff would probably let out a collective sigh. UNLESS they did something drastic that would help set it a part from the previous two franchises. I think casting a child-star in the lead would help set it apart from not just other Spider-Man films, but from just about every other superhero film ever made. It'd also just be seriously cool. I mean, come on, who doesn't love some Ultimate Spidey?
    Last edited by Who The Hell is Peter Palmer?; 12-12-2014 at 06:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    The Sony execs are worried about the franchise

Certainly, the fact that a deal with Marvel may be on the table might be an indication of this on its own, but emails obtained by O Vértice imply that Sony executives aren't quite sure how viable a property "Spider-Man" can be without the aid of the greater Marvel Universe. A conversation (published on the site translated from English to Brazilian) between Jeff Robinov and Amy Pascal discusses possibly bringing on Stan Lee to invent a new character for Sony to exploit. Furthermore, the conversation implies that unless Sony decides to partner with Marvel, they're running out of options.

Spider-Man shouldn't need the rest of the MU to be popular. The problem is that Sony has no idea what makes Spider-Man such a compelling character and has zero clue about how to take those concepts and translate them onto the big screen.

Look at the last film for example. Peter Parker would never run up onto the graduation stage and kiss his girlfriend. More to the point, no one at his high school would cheer him on. The only time Peter can be spontaneous and funny like that is when he is in costume.

Another problem is Sony's apparent love of the Green Goblin. The Osborns were a huge focus for the original trilogy and, with ASM 2, became the principle villains for the new series of movies. Spider-Man has lots of other villains in his rogue's gallery. We don't need to see the Goblins pop back up.
    1) he kissed Gwen because he was overjoyed. I do things like that at times.

2) the goblin has a rich history in the spiderman mythos. Taking him away would be like taking dick Grayson away.

Spectacular Member thethanosseed's Avatar

Never saw myself thanking North Korea for something...

"Marvel Doesn't Want Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man"

...and they're damn right about that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    A conversation (published on the site translated from English to Brazilian) between Jeff Robinov and Amy Pascal discusses possibly bringing on Stan Lee to invent a new character for Sony to exploit.
    That sounds really out-of-touch by the Sony execs. Stan Lee hasn't created a character with staying power in the last few decades. Or maybe they're big fans of Ravage 2099 and Stripperella.

I don't think The Amazing Spider-Man films were that bad. I'd see another one in the theater. The problem is that they're uneven. Some elements are strong and other are weak. I like elements of the production design & general style (stuff like music). Emma Stone was a great casting choice (which is why ASM2 was a bummer).

I think the overall structure and planning for the franchise are a weak point. For one, I think there was too much effort to differentiate this series from the Raimi films. They went with the B material to avoid duplicate that good stuff that had already been used. For instance, the antagonism between Spidey/Peter and J. Jonah Jameson is one of the best parts of the Spider-Man mythos. That's gone by the wayside in the reboot. J. K. Simmons should've been like Desmond Llewelyn as Q. He should've been retained no matter who rebooted the franchise. And Peter's parents as spies is weaker material than the classic core of Spidey's origin. Also, I think the approach to Green Goblin was half-hearted. Either really make him the focus of a film, or build him up slowly until you're ready to do that. And I think the Sinister Six members should each appear in Spider-Man films before you ever try spinning them off.

If the current film series is totally abandoned, I'll be sad to miss out on Felicity Jones eventually playing the Black Cat.

Astonishing Member

Jesus, they think Stan Lee in 2014 is an answer.
    How friggen out of touch can you get?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Marvel is being stupid about Andrew Garfield. He's done a fantastic job, and deserves to continue in the role. Not to mention no one wants another reboot. A new trilogy would be the worst call they could make.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Marvel is being stupid about Andrew Garfield. He's done a fantastic job, and deserves to continue in the role. Not to mention no one wants another reboot. A new trilogy would be the worst call they could make.
    Pretty much this.

I love the casting in ASM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Here's why I was overjoyed about the Spidey-Avengers connection: I have zero confidence in Sony. I've thrown the towel with these guys, I want nothing of what they have to offer, they have destroyed Spider-Man, I'm never ever gonna see their movies about Spidey ever. His only saving grace is Marvel getting their hands on the character. If I was Marvel I would go "alright Spidey is in Avengers movies but from now on we have complete creative control of Spidey". Even if Sony keeps all the money generated from the solo movies. And even Sony Japan have no problems with this. It's Amy Pascal that fool that run Sony America who is the obstacle at this point.

Now as far as Garfield, nothing wrong with him but like Brandon Routh/Henry Cavll as Supe, he's just OK as Spider-Man. He did not amaze anybody. My pick? James McCavoy. He has that eternal youth look going for him and he's one of the best actors outthere. But the main thing is that, McCavoy is the most likable actor on screen at the moment, you cannot help but pull for the guy and he can easily play the quintessential underdog. He can also be young and older Peter Parker. He can be nerd and action-oriented. I would have him in the Avengers flick, then in his solo adventure, have Edgard Wright direct it to make amends for losing Ant-Man. Give him carte blanche for a new Spidey Trilogy with McCavoy.

Mighty Member

Honestly, I like the ASM casting: Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great. They did a decent job acting-wise. The movies, though, were boring. I don't think I would watch a third one in all honesty. That being said, I would not watch yet another Spider-Man reboot ( I mean 3 origin stories in a decade). I think the franchise is done for the foreseeable future. My guess is that something similar might happen to the FF movie over at Fox although I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the actual movie.

I enjoy the X-Men movies, but as a long-term X-Men fan they always leave me wanting. I mean we will probably spend a good chunk of a third X-Men movie following character developments of Mystique... Mystique for God's sake?! Marvel Studios can't make all these movies by itself, so I have no problem with properties not being part of the MCU as long as they are executed well. Except the X-Men movies, that's not been the case so far.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Honestly, I like the ASM casting: Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great. They did a decent job acting-wise. The movies, though, were boring. I don't think I would watch a third one in all honesty. That being said, I would not watch yet another Spider-Man reboot ( I mean 3 origin stories in a decade). I think the franchise is done for the foreseeable future. My guess is that something similar might happen to the FF movie over at Fox although I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the actual movie.

I enjoy the X-Men movies, but as a long-term X-Men fan they always leave me wanting. I mean we will probably spend a good chunk of a third X-Men movie following character developments of Mystique... Mystique for God's sake?! Marvel Studios can't make all these movies by itself, so I have no problem with properties not being part of the MCU as long as they are executed well. Except the X-Men movies, that's not been the case so far.
    There was not one thing Garfield did in these movies that I remember as "great", frankly. Emma is good but she was just "there" to me. She would have worked better as Mary Jane with some spunk.