Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Maybe it's a dexterity issue. Perhaps the amazons like to disregard certain aspects of armor to move better. Like football players that don't wear cups to protect their genitals.
    Eh, then they might as well have come into battle wearing sweatpants in that case, seeing as I doubt this armour would've done much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's what hit me about the mecha-birdies. If they've attacked a bunch of times, shouldn't the Amazons be mopping the floor with them by now?
    They were snakes for the majority of the time Wonder Woman was the God of War, plus I don't think anything indicates they attacked before.
    Last edited by Step; 12-13-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The Stymphalian birds are either made of metal or have metal wings that can short deadly barbs. These ones at least seem to be the former. Either way they are not easy to kill. Heracles managed it but it was one of his labors so that gives you and idea of how dangerous they are supposed to be.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    They were snakes for the majority of the time Wonder Woman was the God of War, plus I don't think anything indicates they attacked before.
    Doesn't the first Amazon say "They've returned!"?

I think there may also have been a mention of "regularity" in regards to them. That would seem to point to multiple attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The Stymphalian birds are either made of metal or have metal wings that can short deadly barbs. These ones at least seem to be the former. Either way they are not easy to kill. Heracles managed it but it was one of his labors so that gives you and idea of how dangerous they are supposed to be.
    Diana manages to take care of them in half a page. That said, she didn't kill any of them.

BANNED

Doesn't appear to contain any improvements over 36.

Diana manages to take care of them in half a page. That said, she didn't kill any of them.
    Or the birds simply react to Diana, their new owner, attacking them.

BANNED

These are the new Good-for-nothing Amazons, from what we've seen they're not very good warriors, not very good people, just grumpy women stuck in the classical age

Extraordinary Member

Well, the old saying used to be "Stronger than Hercules". Comparing the regular Amazons abilities to what Diana can do is like comparing Green Arrow to Superman.

Plus, you would expect the birds to cut her some slack - after all she is the God of Carnage now.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gingergypo View Post
    These are the new Good-for-nothing Amazons, from what we've seen they're not very good warriors, not very good people, just grumpy women stuck in the classical age

LoL...........you make a very good point there. What exactly are the New 52 Amazons good for? Besides seducing men, killing them, and trading male babies. We really haven't seen them accomplish much of anything else in this book since day one.

As for issue #37, I think it looks fantastic. This is easily Finch's best art. Much better than his JLA or Forever Evil work. The preview pages are incredibly detailed and have a very epic and majestic feel to them. The birds alone are a masterpiece. Then there's the old crone, while hideous, looks scary enough to be a super-villain in her own right.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 12-13-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    So I called it, Stymphalian Birds. Yay me

Teen Angel Diana certainly seems to lead her warriors competently. Not so much talking to the Crone, who is apparently not Antiope. I don't remember her being so submissive in confronting the Amazons in Azzarello's run.
    Well, she wasn't so deferential that she wouldn't make them do what they needed to do and learn what they needed to learn, but she did agree to kick Hermes and Dio off the island, to show that she was listening to her sisters. And here, she's sensitive the feelings of the island's only elderly person about not wanting to be treated as frail and in need of being saved, and she rightly acknowledges that its her responsibility as queen and war god to curb the bird problem. So I didn't find her overly submissive--just empathetic and responsible. I did think she should have known at least as much as the other Amazons about the Stymphallian Birds and their connection to the God of War, though.

Hey, at least she doesn't kick the old woman in the face just for being there, right?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-13-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Wonder Woman has been juggling a lot of responsibilities lately. Then again, that's why she's Wonder Woman. She hasn't really had to carry out the duties of a god yet. And we haven't really seen how the Amazons are functioning with men on their island and with their queen as a full-time member of the Justice League. There's a lot to explore here, but Wonder Woman can handle it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Doesn't the first Amazon say "They've returned!"?
    Yep, you're right, that's actually the first word, lol soz, I was not on the ball that day.

are you trying to trigger me? Also we will have to wait and see...Wonder Woman has a history of killing mythical monsters without mercy...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    are you trying to trigger me? Also we will have to wait and see...Wonder Woman has a history of killing mythical monsters without mercy...
    Actually, if they belong to the God of War, she shouldn't have to kill them, right? She should, I would think, be able to just tell them to go home. Maybe they need to see her in the helmet before they'll obey her?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    LoL...........you make a very good point there. What exactly are the New 52 Amazons good for? Besides seducing men, killing them, and trading male babies. We really haven't seen them accomplish much of anything else in this book since day one.

As for issue #37, I think it looks fantastic. This is easily Finch's best art. Much better than his JLA or Forever Evil work. The preview pages are incredibly detailed and have a very epic and majestic feel to them. The birds alone are a masterpiece. Then there's the old crone, while hideous, looks scary enough to be a super-villain in her own right.
    Azz probably wanted to show that women are nothing without men and vice-versa which is true, and that this hatred of men is conducive to nothing but stagnation and that in the end, togetherness wins the day. It's all very well but now the Amazons have no appeal