Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Actually, if they belong to the God of War, she shouldn't have to kill them, right? She should, I would think, be able to just tell them to go home. Maybe they need to see her in the helmet before they'll obey her?

Or perhaps the birds purposely antagonize the God of War to help keep him or her on their toes and their combat skills sharp?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Comic Christmas comes early for me
    Usually I have to dig to find at least 10 comics to read for the week
    This week I can easily splurge on double that and be happy with all of them.
    Wonder Woman always sits on the top of my reading pile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gingergypo View Post
    Azz probably wanted to show that women are nothing without men and vice-versa which is true, and that this hatred of men is conducive to nothing but stagnation and that in the end, togetherness wins the day. It's all very well but now the Amazons have no appeal
    the way they are acting, it really has no appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Or perhaps the birds purposely antagonize the God of War to help keep him or her on their toes and their combat skills sharp?
    more like hunting and/or being the eyes of the god of war?

Astonishing Member

I doubt Ares would have put up with this during his bitter and apathetic phase overt the past 10 years. If they'd kept bothering him, he probably would have fired them up and washed them down with a barrel of rotgut gin.

I remember that the solicit referred to them as a mythological force "apparently linked to her role as god of war," or something like that (emphasis mine). "Apparently" could imply that their attacks aren't really linked to her role as god of war as much as they seem to be; I really think it's likely that someone is luring or sending them in order to drive a wedge between Diana and the Amazons.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Diana manages to take care of them in half a page. That said, she didn't kill any of them.
    And as there have been other attacks by the birds when Diana wasn't there, the other Amazons evidently managed to fend them off, just as Diana does here.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-13-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Fantastic Member

Please let this be the shortest run in Wonder Woman History. The first 3 pages were pretty pictures with about 20 words written on them. The first issue and now this preview read like a mythological episode of Days of Our Lives except with worse dialogue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Please let this be the shortest run in Wonder Woman History. The first 3 pages were pretty pictures with about 20 words written on them. The first issue and now this preview read like a mythological episode of Days of Our Lives except with worse dialogue.
    I don't think it will be, at least if it keep doing well like #36 did on the diamonds charts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I don't think it will be, at least if it keep doing well like #36 did on the diamonds charts.
    Like some opponents of Azzarello loved to point out whenever someone brought up the early sales to prove the success of the run; wait a few months for the hype of the new creative team to wear off.

Plus, there are those who read #36 who aren't thrilled with it and most likely dropped it. Most new creative shifts bring in new readers at least for the first couple issues, but the downward slope is what really matters.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have to wonder what those who defended Azzarello's run when questioned why, if it was such a great run, why it wasn't selling better, will still point out that sales don't always equate to the quality of a book now that the Finchs have taken over if the Finchs sales become similar to or less than Azzarello's?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I have to wonder what those who defended Azzarello's run when questioned why, if it was such a great run, why it wasn't selling better, will still point out that sales don't always equate to the quality of a book now that the Finchs have taken over if the Finchs sales become similar to or less than Azzarello's?
    Sure--I will, at least. If I end up not like the Finches' run, I'll criticize it based on the writing and/or art, not based on the number of copies it sold. But, as always, I'll be somewhat interested in the numbers--not as a sign of quality of the lack thereof, but as a rough measure of popularity and as a indicator of how long the current direction is likely to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun
    Can I ask where you're seeing that? The only numbers I've seen from Diamond for November so far are the top ten and market share (numbershttp://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/103) . According to the October numbers, 35 did pretty well; but I can't find any sales numbers (even a rank and index) for 36 yet.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-14-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Have the November sales figures even been released?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Like some opponents of Azzarello loved to point out whenever someone brought up the early sales to prove the success of the run; wait a few months for the hype of the new creative team to wear off.
    yeah I don't think it will sustain sales for a long time... I just hope it's not like mike deodato case: his cheesecake amd thong made WW sell about the double/triple and editors keep asking him for more. A big screw up for the character.
    I looked into Bleeding cool best seller list WW is not on top 10 or was mentioned, hard to believe a #18 book wouldn't be on the list. And on diamond it is about orders, not actual sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Have the November sales figures even been released?
    only top 50 without the numbers

Astonishing Member

Do you have a link? I only see the top 10 and market share numbers at the Diamond site.

yeah I don't think it will sustain sales for a long time... I just hope it's not like mike deodato case: his cheesecake amd thong made WW sell about the double/triple and editors keep asking him for more. A big screw up for the character.
    I looked into Bleeding cool best seller list WW is not on top 10 or was mentioned, hard to believe a #18 book wouldn't be on the list. And on diamond it is about orders, not actual sales.

Rank alone doesn't mean much. Personally I wouldn't read much into the Finch's first few issues sales numbers. New creative teams always draws interest as well as brings in existing followers (Azzarello brought in huge numbers for the first year before it taper off). I hope Finch doesn't fail too miserably as I don't want to see the next team starting from a deep hole. Azzarello left the book with pretty strong sales still in tact (~35k without digital sales) so I hope the momentum continues for WW.