Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

If sales were always a guarantee of quality Mcdonald's would have the healthiest food on Earth, and Deep Throat would have won an Oscar.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Wow........it came in at #18? That's almost as good as Azzarello's #1 relaunch which came in at #13. Congrats to the Finchs!
    Yeah but Brian's WW#1 competed with all the new 52 issues #1. I expect 37 to sink to the bottom of that list unless everyone's suddenly gone insane

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gingergypo View Post
    Yeah but Brian's WW#1 competed with all the new 52 issues #1.

Which also made it part of a group of comics that completists bought as they wanted to have a full set of all of the #1 issues of the New 52.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    He isn't, as far as I am aware, he's actually better known for being a Vertigo editor.
    19 000+ Chiang followers on twitter vs 9000 Finch followers. I think the readership likes one better than the other.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 12-14-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Insult removed

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    If sales were always a guarantee of quality Mcdonald's would have the healthiest food on Earth, and Deep Throat would have won an Oscar.

I'd have to agree with you partially. Companies like McDonald's, Walmart, and X-men comics seem to sell boatloads month after month regardless of quality but I do think that some things can achieve a level of quality due to the amount of time, effort, and creativity put into them. At the same time, once something or someone becomes extremely popular, those wanting to be trendy will drop these things like a hot potato so that they can keep their "Hipster" status.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 12-14-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

While he was on Wonder Woman, he was also doing variant covers for books like Batman, Batgirl, and Superman/Wonder Woman. He also did the promo poster for last year's WonderCon.
    Yet he is still not announced as a Superstar Artist the way Finch is, neither was Azzarello announced as a Superstar Writer like Geoff Johns is. (I dont recall Darwyn Cooke or Scottie Young being announced in this fashion either btw).

As for Wonder Con... ok I have to admit I though it was glaringly obvious why they asked him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by gingergypo View Post
    19 000+ Chiang followers on twitter vs 9000 Finch followers. I think the readership likes one better than the other.
    That is actually surprising to me. I do follow Chiang on Twitter and he is nearly silent, that said, if people follow him because of his art or his editorial work is up in the air.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 12-14-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Does every thread have to devolve into "how Azzarello actually sucked"? Isn't this thread supposed to be about issue 37's preview? I suspect if the writing doesn't improve sales will free fall pretty quickly. David's art is obviously well received, even though I'd say his depiction of Diana is WAY too young. Merediths writing is more than a little on the stilted side, but I've read worse. I do like that the plotting that appears to be happening though. She's setting the stage for what could be an interesting storyline ... I just hope she can tighten up the writing and avoid some bigger missteps like the entire "heart to heart" with Aquaman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That is actually surprising to me. I do follow Chiang on Twitter and he is nearly silent, that said, if people follow him because of his art or his editorial work is up in the air.
    According to google trends, Chiang's popularity on google skyrocketed in 2011 and was close to 0 before that so I guess that settles it.

1.) So how many reviewers do you figure let Azz's writing slide because of Chiang being a superstar artist?
    Based on the reviews I can recall, zero. Is there one along this line that you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Does every thread have to devolve into "how Azzarello actually sucked"? Isn't this thread supposed to be about issue 37's preview?
    As for this....

While I'm not ready to condemn an issue based on a preview, I won't be getting my hopes up.

I have to wonder what those who defended Azzarello's run when questioned why, if it was such a great run, why it wasn't selling better, will still point out that sales don't always equate to the quality of a book now that the Finchs have taken over if the Finchs sales become similar to or less than Azzarello's?
    Seems sort of simple.

That run insulated the character from the wider DCU. If you do that, I don't expect a sales bump.

One of the blocks that makes up the foundation of the new run is a connection to the wider DCU. If you do that and still wind up with a sales drop, how do you excuse it? Shouldn't you have(at the very least) the readers who were buying the other WW titles during the former creative team's run?

Steering back to the preview....

What are the odds that the "Cyborg" call leads to some sort of Justice League sitdown?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Steering back to the preview....

What are the odds that the "Cyborg" call leads to some sort of Justice League sitdown?
    Superman will show up

Sure. I'm wondering if there will be an actual follow up to Diana's portion of the first half of the last issue.

Okay, enough is enough.

this is a discussion of the preview. This is not a discussion of Azzarello, Chiang or whether the previous or current team are more popular on FB, Twitter or wherever. Whether or not someone has more followers than someone else does not mean their works is inherently better.

Talk about the preview. Period.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!