View Poll Results: How long does it take you to read a comic book (the avg 22 pages one)?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 to 10 minutes

19 32.20%
  • 10 to 20 minutes

32 54.24%
  • 20 to 30 minutes

6 10.17%
  • 30 minutes to 45 minutes

0 0%
  • 45 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes

1 1.69%
  • over 1 hour and 30 minutes

1 1.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default How long does it take you to read a comic book (the avg 22 pages one)?

I am just curious as to what our speed is at reading comic books.

Depends on the issue but about 5-10 minutes.
    BB

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It varies greatly sometimes but I'd say about 15 minutes an average for what I read. Depends on a lot of factors outside of page count.

BANNED

5 to 15 minutes, depends on the wordiness.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Depends on if I'm reading for the first time, rereading, why I'm rereading, how wordy it is and how arresting or detail the visuals are. Plus, how much I need to think about the content.

I can breeze through some things in less than ten minutes, even if they're wordy or have lots of panels, because nothing in the panels is holding me still. Other things.. there are some one-line pages that will hold me for actual minutes, there are pages that the Brian Bolland or Jill Thompson or Sue Coe art just demands of me that I sit and examine and consider, regardless of the words or in-world speed of the scene.

On average, I would say about 10 minutes.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

5 to 10 minutes usually. It obviously depends on the density of the issue and how much I look at the art, etc.

It depends on the book..I finished Moon Knight #3 in just a few minutes, whereas some other books, like a Bendis or Hickman book, might take a tad bit longer..

So, I'm an outlier—45-90 minutes—and it requires explanation, because I promise I really am literate. A little over a year ago, I started writing reviews for nearly every new comic that I read. I had two main (and related) goals: (1) improve my thinking and appreciation of comics by forcing myself to articulate my impressions and opinions in writing, and (2) slow myself down. I found myself whipping through issues, especially if I already had more lined up. I wasn't appreciating much of the nuance even if I got a general sense of it. Now, I usually read and re-read and then write up the review, all of which typically takes over an hour. I like it better.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

I chose 5-10 minutes, but it's frequently less than that with current superhero stuff.

It's pretty rare that anything I read takes more than 10 minutes, but if the art is particularly interesting (like if the layouts or panel transitions are particularly clever, or if there are densely-packed panels that are clearly intended to be lingered upon), I'll go back a second time through and really try to take in what an artist is doing. The short reading time is one of the reasons why I greatly prefer to read collected editions of stories - at least that can feel more like a full meal.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

20-30 minutes
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

2-20 minutes.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Depends on the art and amount of words. If the art is awesome I look at it longer. I take 5-20 minutes per issue
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I tend to savour the reading experience. I take about a minute per page, so an old floppy mid-'80s to mid-'90s Marvel Comics takes me about 20-25 minutes. I dwell on the artwork if I think it's particularly pretty, I re-read panels or entire pages, I go back to a previous page if some clever twist comes up that refers back to something that happened earlier in the book, etc. etc.

It's different for more recent, post-2000 comics, though. Those tend to be more decompressed, depending on the writer, (at least they were between 2000 and 2009, which is when I stopped reading current superhero comics), and they really took me under 10 minutes to read, for the most part.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by miss_terry View Post
    I am just curious as to what our speed is at reading comic books.
    For me that question really doesn't work. Because I really hardly read or view or experience anything merely as making it through just once or as anything solely linearly.

And the speed to it or the way it varies will just depend.
    Like poetry or music or basically any art: not its size or 'duration' would effectively be meaning a damn thing, or at least not as much as how speaking or imaginative and affecting the content and graphical conveyment would be to mean.

So durations, pagecounts, or number of words and panels wouldn't mean shit to me, comicswise.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper