Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dumbledore vs the Balrog

Movie versions

Book versions

Mighty Member

Neither version of the Balrog has any defense against Dumbledore turning it into a teacup. Nor does it have the speed or ranged game to stop him before he does it.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

"You SHALL NOT be served without tiny cucumber sandwiches"

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Neither version of the Balrog has any defense against Dumbledore turning it into a teacup. Nor does it have the speed or ranged game to stop him before he does it.
    You mean besides the fact that its a quasi elemental fire monster and that while form locked unlike other Maiar, even DB was still able to modify himself?

A Balrog has good odds on taking down Hogwartz, hell when I did this exact same thread ages ago I got gang banged by CBF and co for being insane for making such a stomp thread in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal Watch Dog View Post
    You mean besides the fact that its a quasi elemental fire monster and that while form locked unlike other Maiar, even DB was still able to modify himself?

A Balrog has good odds on taking down Hogwartz, hell when I did this exact same thread ages ago I got gang banged by CBF and co for being insane for making such a stomp thread in the first place

Solo Hogwarts?
    That seems.....unlikely given even someone going for a suicide disapparition would end it via BFR

Also whats the board consensus on Avada kedavra? Would it work on the Balrog? Would it work on say the silver surfer?

What/ who is accepted generally as the highest/strongest being it can affect?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Manly View Post
    Also whats the board consensus on Avada kedavra? Would it work on the Balrog?
    Given that the board consensus is that is destroys the soul, I doubt so, a Balrog seems pretty soulless.

Would it work on say the silver surfer?
    If he lets himself get hit, I don't see why not.

So if the board thinks its not related to durability I say its an easy win for any semi competent wizard

Balrogs have been killed by elves with iirc a helmet spike ( Echthelion) and a knife ( Glorfindel) and they had nothing to do with souls( I think) so AK would work quite fine
    Last edited by Matt the Manly; 12-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The issue with AK from anyone at Hogwarts is that none of them outside of Snape and two Slytherin schmucks have feats for actually using the thing.

Do we handwave it to Dumbledore? I mean, he's obviously powerful enough to cast it, and obviously knows more about magic than anyone in the series, but he's never used it.

Well, it's sort of been established that you need enough negative energy in you to cast Unforgivable Curses, shown when Harry first tried to use Cruciatus in Book 5 without and later in book 7 with effect.

I guess Dumbledore will need a lot of hate in him in order to cast AK against the Balrog.

Eh it doesn't matter though. There are plenty of other spells that should work just fine
    Petrificus Totalus should give an easy win under arena conditions. Basically if they can be hurt by physical weapons, spells should work just fine short of the " resist and break free " types like the cruciatas curse ( and PT has feats for Harry struggling for a long while without the spell breaking down)

Also transfiguration should still work anyway. Even Morgoth himself was unable to rid himself of his scars and injuries/ his black form after he got " form locked" so to speak

I don't recall the Balrogs ever showing any shape shifting abilities like Sauron so I don't see why transfiguration shouldn't work

The board consensus is absolutely irrelevant when canon supports the idea that beings of sufficient power can outright ignore AK.

Eh it doesn't matter though. There are plenty of other spells that should work just fine
    Petrificus Totalus should give an easy win under arena conditions. Basically if they can be hurt by physical weapons, spells should work just fine short of the " resist and break free " types like the cruciatas curse ( and PT has feats for Harry struggling for a long while without the spell breaking down)
    That physical weapon was a first age sword made specifically to fight the forces of evil by some of the greatest smiths ever. Conventional swords mean jack crap against DB and...are you seriously suggesting a Curciatus curse is going to do more than makle DB laugh at whoever was stupid enough to employ it?

Also transfiguration should still work anyway. Even Morgoth himself was unable to rid himself of his scars and injuries/ his black form after he got " form locked" so to speak

I don't recall the Balrogs ever showing any shape shifting abilities like Sauron so I don't see why transfiguration shouldn't work
    Morgoth investing his power into the entirety of Arda, drastically reduced from what he once was, burned by silmarils and likely dumping the rest of his power into the black dread. You really can't scale between the two..never minding that abc logic was never accepted here.

As for their abilities, again "he became a creature of slime and shadow" or something..never mind that again, they've never affected something like a Balrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal Watch Dog View Post
    The board consensus is absolutely irrelevant when canon supports the idea that beings of sufficient power can outright ignore AK.
    Which being has ignored AK because sheer power?

That physical weapon was a first age sword made specifically to fight the forces of evil by some of the greatest smiths ever. Conventional swords mean jack crap against DB and
    When was that stated?
    Nowhere have their fights been described like this, in fact I'm pretty sure at least one of the Glorfindel or Echthelion fights ended with them falling down a cliff and the act killing them

...are you seriously suggesting a Curciatus curse is going to do more than makle DB laugh at whoever was stupid enough to employ it?
    Thats not what I said at all. Quite the opposite in fact
    the cruciatas curse/ imperio are among the few spells that can be" fought off" in the series
    Most like Petrificus totalus for example , are not at all affected by attempts to " resist" or whatever, once they connect

Example. Harry shakes off Imperio
    Harry cannot shake off Petrificus totalus

Morgoth investing his power into the entirety of Arda, drastically reduced from what he once was, burned by silmarils and likely dumping the rest of his power into the black dread. You really can't scale between the two..never minding that abc logic was never accepted here.
    Actually Morgoth lost his ability to change shape long before the fight with Fingolfin. Another example is Sauron after the fall of Numenor

And most importantly the Balrogs themselves have zero feats for shape shifting

As for their abilities, again "he became a creature of slime and shadow" or something..never mind that again, they've never affected something like a Balrog.
    No. He was "revealed" to be a creature of slime etc...after his fires were doused out
    Then when the fires came back, he went back to traditional " Balrog form"

Its nothing to do with shape shifting
    thats just who he was , under the flames

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Query: Has Transfiguration ever been used on anything close to as large as a Balrog before? Also, as a full Maiar, albeit a low level one, as opposed to incarnated Maiar like Saruman and Gandalf, do Balrogs die, per se, or are they just reduced to impotent spirits ala Sauron?

Balrogs can be killed by physical means. (The Elf versions, happened because the were strong Elfs.)

I would consider them soulless. But I think any spell that harms the physical body that s not fire should work just fine.

Edit: Gandalf's Sword IS A FIRST AGE ELVEN BLADE. He got it back in the Hobbit.