Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Lightbulb What storylines would work for a Spider-man movie reboot?

With the hacked Sony documents has come an unprecedented window into a movie studio's behind-the-scenes process, including this story claiming it has been pitched that they should tackle Kraven's Last Hunt onscreen:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...an-reboot.html

I'm a little dubious about KLH itself. It worked mainly on Kraven having been around for years, and considered kind of a joke. I just don't see them getting that right in one movie especially.

What Spidey stories or arcs over the 50+ year history of the character would actually make for a good film when adapted for the screen?

I'm thinking Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-man run. Adapt pieces of it at least. It could even follow a three-film structure based on the story's three part structure. We've seen a lot of the villains onscreen already who are in the story, no need to waste time reintroducing them. The story has been described as a "greatest-hits" style tale of Spider-man. it's dying to be adapted for the big screen.

What say you guys?

I think the first Mysterio story would be kind of cool to see. Mysterio and his effects would look cool on the big screen. His framing of Spider-Man could give Peter an interesting dilemma to deal with, especially since Mysterio initially presents himself as a hero that will defeat Spider-Man and works with JJJ at the Bugle.

We could see Flash defend Spidey, while Peter has to uncover the ‘mystery’ of who is under the fishbowl and deal with his spider-sense being negated. Meanwhile, there could be more concentration on the supporting cast (high school scenes and characters and Daily Bugle scenes too) to flesh out more characters than we saw in the TASM universe. It would be nice to see a villain with no connection to Peter Parker.

BANNED

What you guys said but build it up first as a tv series since the mythos has such a rich history. It would be wasteful to adapt it into television. The romance also has to be taken care of and be on par with the Marc Webb version. I also want it to be a continuation of TASM series with Garfield reprising his role.

BANNED

I feel like we've had enough of the romance angle in Spidey movies. At this point, I really just want to see a Spider-man movie where he's kicking a lot of villain ass in costume. Go all out.

I'd use a villain we haven't seen yet, the GA aren't going to be that enthused about another Spidey flick using villains we've already seen after all in 5 films they've used GG or variations 3 times. turned Rhino into a joke. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mysterio Movie or even maybe a Chameleon storyline. maybe in the style of a thriller akin to Winter Soldier after all Chameleon has been Spider-Man's oldest foe and presents an interesting challenge as does Mysterio. I know that many don't like the Parents returning story arc but it offers the opportunity to put Peter through the wringer. and places him in a scenario we haven't yet seen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I feel like we've had enough of the romance angle in Spidey movies. At this point, I really just want to see a Spider-man movie where he's kicking a lot of villain ass in costume. Go all out.
    Nah, I'd love a good romance especially when the characters like MJ abd Betty have character just like in the comics but more unique like a tv series. That's best for spiderman instead if a movie trilogy. I'd father see every other characters show their flaws and we know more about them. I really wouldn't like it if every side character have no character and his superhero job is as complicated as dexter's serial killer job.

A reboot's convoluted at this point since we've had two fairly recent takes on Spider-Man's origin.

The only way to make it fresh might be to expand on what Peter Parker's like before he gets bitten by the spider, and before he learns about Uncle Ben, and maybe exploring others who are affected by the storyline (IE- using the material about Crusher Hogan from the Tangled Web one-shot.)

It's cynical, but a different take on the romance angle might be Peter realizing that the girl he's in love with isn't good enough for him. Though I don't see that going over well with female moviegoers.

An advantage of a reboot is that Sony/ Marvel/ whoever gets the rights isn't limited to the decisions made in the Raimi or Webb films, so there's more flexibility with the villains.

It's still too soon to do any origin story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Yeah, I reckon you could just skirt past that aspect for a while, if anything just to build on the spin-off possibilities (Mayday needs a movie), since the audience knows how the Peter/MJ story goes anyway. Have a few movies where she's the best buddy/confidant then make her the wife around the third or fourth film and set up a second trilogy that sees their kid grow up while Peter stays Spidey and juggles things about

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A reboot's convoluted at this point since we've had two fairly recent takes on Spider-Man's origin.

The only way to make it fresh might be to expand on what Peter Parker's like before he gets bitten by the spider, and before he learns about Uncle Ben, and maybe exploring others who are affected by the storyline (IE- using the material about Crusher Hogan from the Tangled Web one-shot.)

It's cynical, but a different take on the romance angle might be Peter realizing that the girl he's in love with isn't good enough for him. Though I don't see that going over well with female moviegoers.

An advantage of a reboot is that Sony/ Marvel/ whoever gets the rights isn't limited to the decisions made in the Raimi or Webb films, so there's more flexibility with the villains.

It's still too soon to do any origin story.

That's what I've always suggested. Hell, when people describe the plot of the mythos and how to tell the storks in TASM 3 making it true to the mythos and make it great i always feel that he works better as a serialized character. If spiderman still makes money there then it shouldn't be that hard to advertise it breaking bad mixed with the wire quality. I also hope for garfield to reprise his role for season 1

BANNED

I suppose you could use a mash-up of Kraven-related stories. Introduce him and his family at the end of the third film, closing out the first trilogy and hinting at the next trilogy. Could you even be considered the next phase in Peter's life, so he'd be older and it's a perfect chance cast a new leading role if Garfield doesn't want to stick around.

Maybe have the new trilogy's first film be a gang war in NY where both sides are scurrying to salvage tech and stuff from what's left of Harry's criminal empire. You introduce maybe Ana Kravinoff and some of the siblings who are hunting the victors, the entire time Kraven lounges back in the shadows, bored but restless. Peter is of course stuck in the middle, and right as he's building a new relationship with, well, MJ because it's Hollywood and you just can't go too far off the rails.

Second film is your Empire Strikes Back. They put Peter through the ringer, both emotionally and physically. But no matter how hard they hit him down he just gets right back up. And at the very end, BLAM, Kraven wastes Peter and you cut to credits. Add a stinger after the credits showing the casket, maybe see it stir and shake, hear a muffled scream inside before the screen goes dark.

Third film is him clawing his way out, but he's sorta broken from the whole ordeal. Has to rebuild not just his health but his life as well. And he does, of course. Maybe his first night out he runs into Uncle Ben's killer and that spurs him to take back his city.

Or somethin'.

BANNED

Some other contenders:

Owl / Octopus War - I would take pieces of this storyline, because let's face it, no one wants to see the Owl in a Spider-man movie. Rather, it could be a Doctor Octopus Vs. Norman Osborn story instead, two madmen vying for control of the city. It would be cool to see Spidey rip one of Ock's tentacles off at one point. Black Cat could finally, properly be introduced.

Hobgoblin saga - This is a hard to do because A) audiences are perhaps a bit Goblin-ed out, and B), legacy characters from the comics are hard to do in movies. But the very fact that the Goblins have been introduced already in other films (both Norman and Harry) make this doable. It would be nice to introduce a mystery angle into the Spider-man movies for once, as he's trying to figure out the identity of the Hobgoblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You say cynical, but I think the idea is neat because it’s so different from what always happens.

Have we ever seen a hero in a relationship fall in love with someone else and break up with the person he’s with? Imagine Peter struggling over growing feelings for MJ while being in a relationship with Gwen, who he genuinely cares for. (Or vice-versa, or with different characters like Betty or Liz.)

I think that would be a refreshing take showing that love can be more complicated than its over-simplified and over-romanticized depictions in movies.

BANNED

I think it's a hard thing to do right. It's one thing if it's a mutual break-up and there are no real losers. And when it is the guy breaking up with the girl to be with someone else, it's usually because the girl is too crazy and possessive. But if she's a sweetheart, and genuinely gave her heart to this guy, it is probably gonna come off as *******-ish on the hero's part. Especially if there's a sex scene beforehand.

It can probably also be argued that Spidey is also for kids and they may not understand why their hero made the nice lady cry into a bucket of chocolate ice cream.

Point taken. On the other hand, I’m sure there are lots of romance films or romantic comedies where the two leads break up and even see other people before ultimately getting back together. Granted, there will probably be painful emotions involved with ups and downs, but you could argue that the drama gives the story more meaning.

Your point about children in the audience is well taken. When we were talking about Kraven’s Last Hunt in the other thread, I thought about how I would have reacted to watching that as a film as a kid. It probably wouldn’t have been something my parents would have wanted me to see at the age when I first discovered Spidey.

I do think the potential audience is something to definitely be mindful of. The Rami films felt more like all-age films to me, and the Webb films felt more like they were geared toward young adults and more inclusive of female viewers, but they both had broader appeal.

BANNED

Definitely a few movies like that out there. They tend to be independent films, though. Having a hard time thinking of examples. I guess Drinking Buddies with Olivia Wilde comes close. Maybe Chasing Amy.

I like that kinda stuff, don't get me wrong, but I've learned I even have different tastes when it comes to other comic book readers. Which isn't tooting my horn 'cause I'm sure I've liked plenty of bad fiction in my life. Long as it entertains me at the end of the day...