Super Moderator

Default X-POSITION: Gerry Duggan on Zenpool and the Art of "Deadpool" Maintenance

Gerry Duggan reveals how long-term "AXIS" planning turned the Merc with a Mouth into the Merc with a Mantra, plus answers to [em]your[/em] questions.

Full article here.

I love Gerry Duggan's work in the past couple of years. There's great respect to the source material, a lot of long-games and call-backs (so you have to pay attention), and all in all, I feel he's become the definitive voice of the characters he's writing, specifically Deadpool. There's Joe Kelly, and then there's Gerry Duggan.

Hopefully, Duggan will stay on Deadpool until the wheels fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by MindTricked View Post
    I love Gerry Duggan's work in the past couple of years. There's great respect to the source material, a lot of long-games and call-backs (so you have to pay attention), and all in all, I feel he's become the definitive voice of the characters he's writing, specifically Deadpool. There's Joe Kelly, and then there's Gerry Duggan.

Hopefully, Duggan will stay on Deadpool until the wheels fall off.
    I would throw Remender in there as well.. I see him as the one that bridges Kelly to Duggan and Posehn. But I agree with everything you posted. Great respect to continuity and so on. Let them stay on the book until THEY want to end their story. Not some gimmicky reboot or "death."

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I just adore Duggan in 2014. He turns in delightful, eminently-readable comic books in a variety of tones from grim to hilarious. Along the way, he's somehow made Deadpool one of Marvel's best books month after month for two years. I have so many other Marvel heroes I'd like to see under his pen - and, I'm sure we'll get the chance over the next few years!
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

BANNED

Duggan made me into a Deadpool fan. I never gave much thought to the character before but I've been hooked on Duggan's run since issue #1. And he's completely turned the Hulk around. That title was kind of floundering until Duggan came on and started kicking major ass. He's definitely one of the best writers at Marvel right now.

I really love Zen Deadpool. He's been one of the brightest spots in AXIS, which is saying something in a story so divisive. And I'm glad Duggan is now locked up with Marvel. He's found a way to extract fun and humor out of Deadpool regardless of whether he's inverted. In that sense he's probably the most consistent character in the entire Marvel universe. And there's something to say about a character who can be that consistently awesome while only on a diet of tacos and chimmechangas.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I would throw Remender in there as well.. I see him as the one that bridges Kelly to Duggan and Posehn. But I agree with everything you posted. Great respect to continuity and so on. Let them stay on the book until THEY want to end their story. Not some gimmicky reboot or "death."
    100% agreed. Let them go until they run out of stories to tell. Honestly it's pretty telling in this current market of quick cancellations and reboots that, barring editorial interference, this book will easily hit 50 issues and beyond.

While I agree with you guys on Duggan, Kelly, and Remender why aren't you guys showing any love for Fabian Nicieza? The former three did a great job showing the serious/tragic side of Deadpool but Nicieza had (imo) the best wise-cracker version but still told a serious story when he wanted to. If I had to make a Mt. Rushmore of Deadpool it would be those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    While I agree with you guys on Duggan, Kelly, and Remender why aren't you guys showing any love for Fabian Nicieza? The former three did a great job showing the serious/tragic side of Deadpool but Nicieza had (imo) the best wise-cracker version but still told a serious story when he wanted to. If I had to make a Mt. Rushmore of Deadpool it would be those guys.
    Nicieza is definitely up there. Cable and Deadpool is my favorite ongoing of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    Right now it goes for me:
    Kelly, Fabian, and the current run in terms of favorites.

I really like Remender but he's mostly written DP in a team enviornment, he's certainly my go to for any team books featuring Wade. Honorable mention goes out to Gail Simone, Frank Tieri (felt the weapon x run is underrated), and Christopher Priest (thought the rooming with villains was comedy gold).

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Right now it goes for me:
    Kelly, Fabian, and the current run in terms of favorites.

I really like Remender but he's mostly written DP in a team enviornment, he's certainly my go to for any team books featuring Wade. Honorable mention goes out to Gail Simone, Frank Tieri (felt the weapon x run is underrated), and Christopher Priest (thought the rooming with villains was comedy gold).
    Agree with those honorable mentions. I thought Mark Waid did a pretty decent Deadpool mini with Sins of the Past way back when. I've also been enjoying Art of War by Peter David. He certainly told a comedic Deadpool that wasn't too over the top. Also liked the Bi Annual with Scheer and Giovannetti so there on my radar at least. Bunn has been hit or miss and he has a couple more minis coming up so we'll see how they turn out.

Bunn's best was Night of The Living DP... so I'M REALLY excited for Return of the Living DP. I agree with Tieri also.. Agent of Weapon X is actually my favorite arc from the original ongoing.

Am i the only guy who hates Shiklah?

We have seen Wedding Issues in comics, i would love a Divorce issue. Alas, they seem to want to continue this rather lame union.

Thanks for passing along my two questions! That's awesome!
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik