Page 660 of 661 FirstFirst ... 160560610650656657658659660661 LastLast
Results 9,886 to 9,900 of 9903

That's fair, as I said before I understand why fans like the Guilds concept. It worked fine as an origin story.
    Well, there will be a Guilds 2-parter in MMX, I didn't particularly like the fight scene in #6, but I liked how Belladonna was written. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and get a good Guilds story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    That's fair, as I said before I understand why fans like the Guilds concept. It worked fine as an origin story.
    Well, there will be a Guilds 2-parter in MMX, I didn't particularly like the fight scene in #6, but I liked how Belladonna was written. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and get a good Guilds story.
    Agreed. I’m interested to see how Kelly writes the guilds considering I appreciated her take on Belladonna. And thank you for your offer to recheck some books to answer my previous questions. I’ll be sure to pick up those issues you mentioned as well.

I’m also pretty excited to see Tante Mattie again. I really liked her character.
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 12-21-2018 at 05:50 AM.

I think Gambit will leave the Thieves Guild. It probably won't be a popular outcome for Gambit-fans. But...

For me personally, I can't really see any benefit or progression for the character if say he was JUST leader of the Thieves and NOT an X-Man. He's based in New York, I can't see how he can juggle two things at once. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, I don't know. For instance, if he were to ONLY be associated with the Thieves Guild, to me, it's a demotion, a setback. For the character to truly grow, he would need to step up as an X-Man (or a Marvel Hero). What I saw on those latest X-Men: Red scans is something that Gambit should aspire to become...I'd rather see that than have him just lead an obscure organisation, in which many writers rarely acknowledge, in the 25+ years have they really done anything of significance in the X-Men lore?

In other words, I don't think it would hurt the character if he were to step down as King of the Thieves Guild. If he continues to cover both statuses as X-Man and Thief, that's great, (Wolverine represented multiple teams which worked fine) but I can see why writers neglect the Guilds at times.
    Totally disagree. I think the TG is the only avenue for Gambit to carve out a niche in the MU. He will never be a preferred X-man. He just won't. What he can be is someone who uses a vast criminal enterprise to do heroic things. Gambit should be the information broker of the MU using his vast network of thieves to assist the X-men, Avengers or whoever else in getting intel they need to confront a threat.

Or if the X-men need a job done but can't be seen as violating the law then Gambit puts together a team from the Thieves Guild and goes and does the job. Publicly the X-men can disavow Gambit as one of them but in secret he is their asset able to carry out jobs they can't. So their own A-team if you will.

Of course, it will never happen because Marvel writers and editors don't like Gambit and lack creativity but there is great story potential in Gambit heading the TGs. It would be something different than what the X-men currently are about.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-21-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    You’ll have to forgive me as I’m behind on my Gambit readings. But can someone explain how one becomes the king of thieves? Also is he just the leader of the thieves guild in New Orleans or are his boundaries larger. Thank you in advance.
    In his solo, there was a trial he took part in to become King along with 3 other participants. Don't want to spoil it but he essentially he won the trial and became King of Thieves over the whole TG ie not just New Orleans. So while New York or Cairo may have their own TG, Gambit in theory sits atop them all although writers have yet to do anything interesting with that fact.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Totally disagree. I think the TG is the only avenue for Gambit to carve out a niche in the MU. He will never be a preferred X-man. He just won't. What he can be is someone who uses a vast criminal enterprise to do heroic things. Gambit should be the information broker of the MU using his vast network of thieves to assist the X-men, Avengers or whoever else in getting intel they need to confront a threat.

Or if the X-men need a job done but can't be see as violating the law then Gambit puts together a team from the Thieves Guild and goes and does the job. Publicly the X-men can disavow Gambit as one of them but in secret he is their asset able to carry out jobs they can't. So their own A-team if you will.

Of course, it will never happen because Marvel writers and editors don't like Gambit and lack creativity but there is great story potential in Gambit heading the TGs. It would be something different than what the X-men currently are about.
    Some clever ideas there, no doubt. I'm all for the Thieves Guild being utilised in some of the ways you've pointed out.
    It's your last paragraph where I have concerns with as well, I don't think the writers really care enough to tackle the Thieves Guild in a creative way, hence the reason why I think their stories are lacklustre with very little impact in the MU.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

In his solo, there was a trial he took part in to become King along with 3 other participants. Don't want to spoil it but he essentially he won the trial and became King of Thieves over the whole TG ie not just New Orleans. So while New York or Cairo may have their own TG, Gambit in theory sits atop them all although writers have yet to do anything interesting with that fact.
    Right? There seems to be so much stuff with the TG that goes on in other books that Gambit either doesn't know or doesn't care about.
    Make Good Art

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Right? There seems to be so much stuff with the TG that goes on in other books that Gambit either doesn't know or doesn't care about.
    That's exactly what was shown in MMX6 in Bella dialog, and it is what bothers me... the direction KT takes with all the TG Guild, Gambit might just baill out in the Guild arc and the whole potential about which remydat talks will be gone(( And with that there is nothing new on the horizon exept X-men token thief role(((

Some clever ideas there, no doubt. I'm all for the Thieves Guild being utilised in some of the ways you've pointed out.
    It's your last paragraph where I have concerns with as well, I don't think the writers really care enough to tackle the Thieves Guild in a creative way, hence the reason why I think their stories are lacklustre with very little impact in the MU.
    Well I don't think writers care enough to tackle Gambit in a creative way much less the Thieve's Guild. And when we do have writers that care, they run up against editorial interference. From the Asmus solo to Bunn's pitch for a Gambit solo being shot down, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    How could he care about it when his entire life is wrapped up in Rogue these days?

Well I don't think writers care enough to tackle Gambit in a creative way much less the Thieve's Guild. And when we do have writers that care, they run up against editorial interference. From the Asmus solo to Bunn's pitch for a Gambit solo being shot down, etc.
    Its why the books or more specifically Gambit is so disappointing lately. He needs to shine on his own. And editorial should let it happen, they could really capitalize on the espionage thing, its big on TV. Why not comics.

How could he care about it when his entire life is wrapped up in Rogue these days?
    And that is an issue for his character. Not so much being with Rogue, as in he's not anyone of consequence. Being her husband should be more than just that. IMO.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Astonishing Member

Yeah even before the wedding, the guild stuff was being completely ignored. The past few times there was a story with the guilds, gambit wasn’t involved, not even a little.

Yeah you would think if a hero was having trouble with the New York TG or whatever it was that they should have given Gambit a buzz. Gambit could then deal with it or if you want the hero to do the heavy lifting, Gambit could say they are a rogue (pun intended) element of his Guild that he would be appreciative if said hero could assist in bringing to heel.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Yeah you would think if a hero was having trouble with the New York TG or whatever it was that they should have given Gambit a buzz. Gambit could then deal with it or if you want the hero to do the heavy lifting, Gambit could say they are a rogue (pun intended) element of his Guild that he would be appreciative if said hero could assist in bringing to heel.
    That would be a really fun scene. I could see him offering Spidey, for example, a sum of money for helping him, but Spidey rejects it because he knows it's stolen money, but then Remy ups the price and Spidey begrudgingly accepts because he's past due on rent
    Make Good Art

Astonishing Member

I actually love stuff like that. That would have been great.

MMX 7 I suppose

Always wanted to see Gambit using charged knout to make explosions!
    Last edited by Purplevit; 12-25-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Happy New year, everyone! I hope 2019 will be great for Gambit.