Page 53 of 661 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast

The guy I would really want to write Gambit is Spurrier. I love his Legion and the new X-force book and I think he could come up with a lot of elaborate Gambit plots like he did with Legion where Gambit makes a gambit (pun intended) early and then when it looks like all is lost, the payoff of the gambit is revealed. He is the type of intelligent writer that Gambit needs to get some of that foresight we used to see from Gambit like when he tricked Wolverine during their training session or when he took that spike to the leg from Cameron Hodge so he could use it to escape later.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I think I might have liked Gambit being in Cable's book. I would have liked to see what Hopeless would have done. Spurrier would be good too.

As already noted, whomever is writing a main title should want to write Gambit. Putting on a book because the fan wants it but writer doesn't - does not help the character.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    As already noted, whomever is writing a main title should want to write Gambit. Putting on a book because the fan wants it but writer doesn't - does not help the character.
    The question was what we would like to see happen not what we think will happen. Of course, I want the writer to want to write him but I also know he needs to get some exposure back in a main title. So I would like for him to go back into a bigger more mainstream team with a writer that will write him with some interest. He doesn't have to love him just like/respect him and want to use him along with the team.

Do I think that will happen - unlikely as long a main x-books all revolve around Bendis' storylines. That's why I thought maybe a new book with new cast possibly working on the premise of Wolverine's death. Gambit respects Wolverine enough to care. Throw in Nightcrawler and Storm and maybe X-23 or Jubliee and one or two others and you have a book and a premise that really ties into what's been going on lately in the X-verse and gets back to a team with a mission (its sort of what they did when Superman died) not another book about kids and a school. Heck it can rotate some Wolverine friends in and out too.

Sacrificing characterization for exposure is not ideal. It doesn't help the character. Its saying it doesn't matter who he is as long as he is in a main book. There is no gain and no build. Not sure what some exposure in a main book would do for Gambit if he's not written well. He could be treated as just some background character, I do not see how that is beneficial. The writing is more key than the book for me at this point. If he's in main book and for the exposure to mean something being a background character won't help, despite the book. No one will notice. IMO.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Kon,

I understand what you are saying. I am saying it's not a fair comparison. Rogue is being judged for what she actually did. There is no good way to try and compare that to what someone may do because well they haven't done it yet. The only purpose it serves is to try and downplay what someone did.

I have actually been reading Gambit's solo series again and thought I would post the lines that I am pretty sure for the people that didn't like her appearance found the most annoying. This is from issue #11 if you want to read it 1bulma1.

Gambit - Anna, you were the one that said we needed time apart. You wanted time to find yourself again and I was willing to accept that. Figured you'd understand if I tried to do the same.

Rogue - I needed time alone Remy. That didn't look like what you were trying to me.

What Gambit said - That is what this is about. You make a big show of coming here. You giving that girl a hard time just because I been mixed up with Joelle instead of sulking alone?

What Gambit should have said - You straight trippin chere. You didn't need time alone. You slept with Magneto the very same night I confessed my undying love to you with that "you are my harbor," bullshit. And now you have the balls to come here and lecture me about Joelle? Bitch please!

So yeah in some distant future when pigs can fly, some other girl may claim she wanted to be alone when in fact she slept with a dude that tried to kill Gambit the same night Gambit professed his undying love to her. And when I do see those pigs flying and read this story then I will complain about the idiocy of it as well.

And I promise that if I die before it happens, I will leave it in my will for my descendants to complain if that story every gets told. Until then the only character that deserves to get crap for it is Rogue because she is the only character a writer had say that complete utter bullshit to the point I spit out my Frosted Flakes when I first read that. I hate wasting Frosted Flakes so yeah Rogue is dead to me.
    While I don't agree, to each their own. I'm glad Gambit took the high road and didn't try to guilt or hurt Rogue. Gambit loves Rogue he always will, just like he'll always love Belle, does not mean he will or should get back together with either. But to ignore how important these two ladies have been to him would be out of character for him. Belle tried to kill him on multiple occasions and he would still drop everything to go save her if he knew she was in danger, same for Rogue. And that sort of loyalty to loved one's is something that makes Remy even more endearing to me. Look I've said before I trust PAD, so if he wants to do Gambit/Polaris I'll give it a shot, I like Lorna she may not be perfect but hey who is. My favorite X-Man had a hand it the slaughter of the Morlocks, that's worse than anything Rogue's done, does not mean I stop loving the character, especially when I've also seen the best of him, which is pretty heroic.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

The guy I would really want to write Gambit is Spurrier. I love his Legion and the new X-force book and I think he could come up with a lot of elaborate Gambit plots like he did with Legion where Gambit makes a gambit (pun intended) early and then when it looks like all is lost, the payoff of the gambit is revealed. He is the type of intelligent writer that Gambit needs to get some of that foresight we used to see from Gambit like when he tricked Wolverine during their training session or when he took that spike to the leg from Cameron Hodge so he could use it to escape later.
    Writer with twisty, sneaky, surprising plots writing a twisty, sneaky, surprising character? Shut up and take my money.
    "Self has no time for this."

Hi!
    As I was rereading X-Men v2 #25 just now, I came across this panel of Gambit blasting in Magneto's face. Oh, sound effects...
    magneto gambit fak.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Writer with twisty, sneaky, surprising plots writing a twisty, sneaky, surprising character? Shut up and take my money.
    Between this and nx01a's picture, I straight up snort laughed. Thank you for renewing my faith in this thread.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Sacrificing characterization for exposure is not ideal.
    Where did I EVER say that? Of course he needs to be utilized at least decently. I said the writer needs to at like/respect the character and use him on the team. Characterization with little exposure to anyone but the faithful is not least ideal either. That just leaves him open for fading into obscurity at some point just as much as being poorly used in a main stream book.

I'm good with Spurrier. I would hope for again making it a larger player in the MU.
    Last edited by Moonshine; 09-08-2014 at 08:13 AM.

@Moonshine
    Did I say you did? No, I didn't. Post #784 doesn't mention you at all. As a matter of fact I didn't direct my comments toward you, I was merely giving an opinion, just like you do.

I was considering the current crop of writers. I don't want to waste time with a main title to only read a panel with no substance for the character. While I think we agree he should have a good role. I am saying losing his character because it's a main title holds no appeal. The exposure doesn't pay off if the character isn't the one you think it is. Look at Legacy - that book was treated as a main title and what did it accomplish for Gambit. Practically nothing, that is my point. Exposure can be good, but that book did very little favors for the character. I don't want to lose the character we have now is all I was saying. And characters do get lost, the exposure diluting the character.
    Last edited by Neko; 09-08-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

new

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    new
    awesome, kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by KonFan78 View Post
    While I don't agree, to each their own. I'm glad Gambit took the high road and didn't try to guilt or hurt Rogue. Gambit loves Rogue he always will, just like he'll always love Belle, does not mean he will or should get back together with either. But to ignore how important these two ladies have been to him would be out of character for him. Belle tried to kill him on multiple occasions and he would still drop everything to go save her if he knew she was in danger, same for Rogue. And that sort of loyalty to loved one's is something that makes Remy even more endearing to me. Look I've said before I trust PAD, so if he wants to do Gambit/Polaris I'll give it a shot, I like Lorna she may not be perfect but hey who is. My favorite X-Man had a hand it the slaughter of the Morlocks, that's worse than anything Rogue's done, does not mean I stop loving the character, especially when I've also seen the best of him, which is pretty heroic.
    There is taking the high road and there is letting someone walk all over you. The line between the two is thin and the problem for many is that line regarding Gambit and Rogue has been crossed. Obviously if you don't think that line has been crossed then you will have a different take on things but from my perspective when someone tries to chastise you for potentially hooking up with someone and then lies and claims they wanted to be alone when they were sleeping with a dude who tried to kill you then not calling them out on that lie is not taking the high road. It's letting them walk over you.

All of which is a completely separate issue from whether Gambit or Rogue should help each other if they are in need. If Rogue is in danger and Gambit knows about it then yes I would fully expect him to try and help. Not sure what that has to do with Rogue blatantly lying.

And yes the MM was worse than anything Rogue's done (let's ignore her terrorist past for now) which is exactly why he was abandoned and left to die in Antarctica.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    It really would seem to be a perfect fit.

There is taking the high road and there is letting someone walk all over you. The line between the two is thin and the problem for many is that line regarding Gambit and Rogue has been crossed. Obviously if you don't think that line has been crossed then you will have a different take on things but from my perspective when someone tries to chastise you for potentially hooking up with someone and then lies and claims they wanted to be alone when they were sleeping with a dude who tried to kill you then not calling them out on that lie is not taking the high road. It's letting them walk over you.

All of which is a completely separate issue from whether Gambit or Rogue should help each other if they are in need. If Rogue is in danger and Gambit knows about it then yes I would fully expect him to try and help. Not sure what that has to do with Rogue blatantly lying.

And yes the MM was worse than anything Rogue's done (let's ignore her terrorist past for now) which is exactly why he was abandoned and left to die in Antarctica.
    ONCE. She only ever left him behind ONE TIME. I'm so sick of seeing that point brought up, when she went right back for him as soon as his psyche (and all of its self loathing) faded from her mind. In all honesty, I think she more than made up for abandoning him with this:

http%3A%2F%2F31.media.tumblr.com%2F0f80ffc36760a8af9e0b091def347200%2Ftumblr_n1xt17gHqg1rl4sjdo1.jpg

She flat out refused to let him die, both physically and on the astral plane. Gambit has some pretty intense hatred of himself, so after seeing that I no longer doubted just how much his absorbed personality affected her judgement in Antarctica. She even switched back to her "old duds" (which worried Wolverine) and attempted a cure for her powers because she wanted a normal life with him. Plus, you have this:

He screwed up big time by joining Apocalypse, and she knew it. But she never gave up hope, even later when his Death persona nearly strangled her. He would've killed her, too, had Lorna not knocked him away.

I'm not debating your point that she 'walked all over' Gambit in Legacy. I read that Carey wanted to write more of a reaction from Gambit and also to give him a few character building issues, but time and editorial squashed his plans. That doesn't totally excuse the **** way that he had Rogue treat Gambit in Legacy. Although I haveta point out that Remy told Frenzy that he knew that Rogue would never stay with Mags because "all she needs to do is see him up close" and remember how he really is. Why the fook you'd push your girl into the arms of another man, the same one who tried to kill you (repeatedly!), made no sense to me then and still doesn't now. You spit out your frosted flakes, I snorted perfectly good beer through my nose :/
    Last edited by Spasticat; 09-08-2014 at 10:50 PM.