Page 589 of 661 FirstFirst ... 89489539579585586587588589590591592593599639 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,835 of 9903
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    This reminds me that MANY characters have different fan-camps.

I'm reminded that SOME fans of Magik, for example, ADORE her dark humor bad girl corrupted thing and some are utterly UTTERLY convinced she's moved on and she's got her soul and she's make good choices etc etc and that dual nature dramatically fluctuates depending on the writer. And so too does the fandom.
    Exactly. Honestly, if you look at most of the appreciation threads on this site, many fan bases have similar divides. And just because this is a pet peeve of mine (not trying to single anyone out), but if someone says they are a fan of a character... they are a fan of a character. Not sure there is more to it than that. Now we might like different versions or aspects of said character, but that doesn't make some "better" fans than others.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I never had the feeling that Rogue and Gambit still having feelings for each other was completely out of left field. I mean, there have been multiple hints to it throughout various books over the years (i.e. Gambit's solo, UA). Astonishing was just the first ongoing that featured both of them, so there was more time for interactions between the two (just to be clear, I didn't love their characterizations in this book either. Just trying to make a point). It's not like Gambit was in another relationship and then suddenly had feelings for Rogue again. It wasn't that jarring for me, and I think KT did a good job of explaining this with the flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Try not to speak in absolutes like that lol. I can't believe this bothered some of you more than the Deadpool mini or his disgraceful part in that Inhumans crossover where they blatantly ripped off his eyes and then altered his own so as to not get the two characters confused (because Marvel knows Red on black eyes are cool). We don't even talk about those!
    Why would the Deadpool mini bother anyone? There really was no indication the story was created just for Deadpool. It is clear this mini was created for Rogue and Rogue alone to get over her issues right down to the villain being created specifically to help her do so.

What are the chances you get assigned a random mission by Kitty where you are forced to pretend to be a couple and the villain just so happens to absorb memories in such a way that it allows Rogue to resolve all her issues with Gambit in the past? It's a well written story but I think it is fair game for anyone to note how the entire structure of the story is such that it only really works for Rogue. You could have replaced Gambit with Mags, Deadpool, or Johnny Storm and the story still works because Gambit is just the object of Rogue's potential affection and that object could have been anyone she has had a relationship with and the process by which she makes a decision via reliving memories would be the same because the decision is hers and hers alone. In fact, the story would have been better with someone else other than Gambit because at least with Mags, Deadpool, or Johnny, they may have their own reservations and thus their own decisions they would have to make. However, because it is Gambit and he is already decided, there is nothing for him to do in the story aside from wait for Rogue's verdict.

How did this story progress Gambit as a character? And if it didn't then why should I as a Gambit fan care? The only benefit to this story for Gambit is Rogue. Even if Romy doesn't work out, Rogue learned a lot about herself and came to terms with issues she has that can be applied to any relationship she has going forward. That is actual growth. By contrast, all that happened to Gambit is Rogue finally decided Gambit was good enough for her and only because of a villain specially created for her to arrive at that conclusion. It is not even that Gambit did something to convince her. Lavish basically did all the convincing for Rogue.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-03-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member

Apologies if this was already posted, there's been a flurry of activity here, but Kinberg's latest comments about the Gambit movie... well, you wouldn't call them optimistic! "...believe it or not, we’re still trying to get Gambit [starring Channing Tatum as the cajun mutant] up and running. The hope is to keep moving forward until we hear otherwise. To me, I have no idea what to expect...”

http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/02/dead...disney-merger/
    Gambit Gazette, all the latest Gambit comic book and movie news: http://gambitgazette.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Why would the Deadpool mini bother anyone? There really was no indication the story was created just for Deadpool. It is clear this mini was created for Rogue and Rogue alone to get over her issues right down to the villain being created specifically to help her do so.

What are the chances you get assigned a random mission by Kitty where you are forced to pretend to be a couple and the villain just so happens to absorb memories in such a way that it allows Rogue to resolve all her issues with Gambit in the past? It's a well written story but I think it is fair game for anyone to note how the entire structure of the story is such that it only really works for Rogue. You could have replaced Gambit with Mags, Deadpool, or Johnny Storm and the story still works because Gambit is just the object of Rogue's potential affection and that object could have been anyone she has had a relationship with and the process by which she makes a decision via reliving memories would be the same because the decision is hers and hers alone. In fact, the story would have been better with someone else other than Gambit because at least with Mags, Deadpool, or Johnny, they may have their own reservations and thus their own decisions they would have to make. However, because it is Gambit and he is already decided, there is nothing for him to do in the story aside from wait for Rogue's verdict.

How did this story progress Gambit as a character? And if it didn't then why should I as a Gambit fan care? The only benefit to this story for Gambit is Rogue. Even if Romy doesn't work out, Rogue learned a lot about herself and came to terms with issues she has that can be applied to any relationship she has going forward. That is actual growth. By contrast, all that happened to Gambit is Rogue finally decided Gambit was good enough for her and only because of a villain specially created for her to arrive at that conclusion. It is not even that Gambit did something to convince her. Lavish basically did all the convincing for Rogue.

If I remember corect then all DvG mini was from Deadpool pint of view and only with Deadpool thoughts bubbles. And other bubbles was marked with Deadpool sign. It was Deadpool mini with Gambit in it.

All this looks like Gambit fans Civil War Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    That is fine if you want to say I'm a complainer, but you can't lump all criticism that everyone has as being useless or just people complaining when they are giving valid reasons for why they feel that way just because you enjoyed it. It becomes impossible to have a legitimate discussion. Not once have I ever criticized anyone for enjoying the mini or being a fan of Gambit and Rogue together in any form. All I have ever done is give my own opinions about problems I have with them together, especially from Gambit's side of the equation. Sometimes that comes off as me being a prick probably, but I never attacked anyone or their devalued their opinions the way some members on this board do.

The simple problem I have with them as a couple is that Gambit becomes less his own character when they are written together and falls into the role of being her supporting character. Even this mini eventually went down that road. I know KT did her very best to try and balance the panel time between them but even she understood that all she really had room for development was with Rogue's character. So the story reflected that even if it wasn't intended to take away anything from Gambit. It is just how it is with the two of them. The character that went through an arc and had the development was Rogue while Gambit basically stayed the same as his role in the story was to support her development and growth. For some they are perfectly happy with that and are just glad they are together again, but others see this as Gambit falling into the role of being her supporting character again.

I think you need to reread my post. I did not say any absolutes. I said "did not come off the same way for some of them" meaning some Gambit fans liked it and other didn't.
    Honestly I'd love to see a second and separate story arc down the line where Gambit processes some of his personal demons and Rogue is there in an emotionally supportive role. He is overdue for dealing more with his ties to Sinister and addressing his role in the Thieves Guild and often has shut Rogue out of these parts of this world in the past, though she knows more than most really.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    If I remember corect then all DvG mini was from Deadpool pint of view and only with Deadpool thoughts bubbles. And other bubbles was marked with Deadpool sign. It was Deadpool mini with Gambit in it.
    I honestly don't remember. The point I was making is that it was a meaningless story for both of them. Deadpool or Gambit had zero growth in that story and all that it established was the relationship existed which was new to them both.

By contrast, Rogue is the only one that really grew from this experience. And she grew from this experience because the writers specifically created a villain for her and her alone that would allow her to grow and confront her control, trust, and running away issues. Gambit is just there as filler. He does some cool things here and there not for his development but to just fill up the panel space as Rogue deals with her issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Honestly I'd love to see a second and separate story arc down the line where Gambit processes some of his personal demons and Rogue is there in an emotionally supportive role. He is overdue for dealing more with his ties to Sinister and addressing his role in the Thieves Guild and often has shut Rogue out of these parts of this world in the past, though she knows more than most really.
    Exactly, there was no reason why Gambit couldn't have been rewritten rethinking the reasons he is with Rogue particularly after saying he feels like he is pulling by himself? Why does he want to be with Rogue? Is it love and if so, is it enough? Does he think being with Rogue validates him as a good person because someone good wants him? Are their issues of self worth? Why is he so secretive and makes things so difficult for the people he loves? There are a ton of things Gambit could have been working through as Rogue was to eventually decide they want to be together. Instead, all we got was Rogue working through her shit while Gambit is just assumed to abide by whatever decision she makes.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Well with the Deadpool mini that was basically just another Deadpool mini series that Marvel does. It is there so Marvel can sell more books with Deadpool in the title. A big difference between that and this mini is that the Rogue mini sets up major status quo changes for their relationship, such as them getting back together, that would impact him going forward. The Deadpool mini was all fluff.

And some Gambit fans want him with Rogue and others don't want him with her. That is basically what it boils down to. I think it is the exact same with Rogue fans. Some want her with him and others don't. Probably the exact same with any big relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    I'm sorry so many of you guys feel let down and convinced that Gambit didn't get enough time to shine and that this was "Rogue's book." I certainly disagree. Especially since I literally broke down the issues point by point on my own for each of them in each issue and in every issue except the last Gambit had more "cool action beats/moments" than Rogue. I was pretty careful about that because I knew she was going to be getting the lion's share of the finale due to her similar power set to Lavish and I wanted balance.

On the more emotional front...Rogue definitely had more time throughout the series, but I felt that was necessary because she was the one that had to see the light and have some revelations about their relationship and also be the one to make the apologies. Gambit was already emotionally there...waiting for her to figure it out. And you can disagree with that if you like, but I inherited what I inherited, and that inheritance was a Gambit still in love with Rogue and waiting for her to figure things out so that they could be together. That requires that she does more emotional lifting in our story than Remy...as he said to her from issue one.

Anyway. Sorry it didn't work for a lot of you, I appreciate you giving it a chance (if you can honestly say you did - I think some of you definitely did...others I'm not so sure). I'm definitely walking away from this particular thread feeling like there's no way to please most of you in here and y'know, that's okay...we all want what we want. Including me. And I gotta carve my own path. But I'm sorry that going forward I'm unlikely to be the right writer for a lot of you. Good luck to ya.
    Some people just don't like Romy, no matter what you would had done, they were predispose to not liking it. Even if you had written Rogue down in her knees begging for forgiveness and Gambit winning every fight single handedly in every issue and they still wouldn't be happy.
    So please don't think that the negativism of 4 posters here represent the feelings of all Gambits fans, because it doesn't.
    In my case I thought Romy was dead, that it was a thing of the past, so when the book was announced I wasn't really excited about it, no, it was more like the opposite, I was concerned, I thought it was going to be more of the same angst and senseless drama that we have been getting for the last 10-15 years and if I'm being completely honest after the first issue I was still a bit worried (I even said it in this forum).
    But then in issue 2 things turned around in such a way that I became hooked with it and now I can say without a doubt that I'm a member of team Romy (or Rambit if you prefer ).
    And since we are in the Gambit appreciation thread, I want to let you know that I think you did an amazing job with Remy, he was competent, charming, funny and he kicked asses like I haven't seen in quite a while.
    I truly hope you get the chance to write him again, whether it is with Rogue or on his own, either way I'll be happy.
    Finally I want to say thank you for taking some time out of your day to interact with us, means a lot

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    In my case I thought Romy was dead...
    I had personally moved on to Gambit possibly courting Polaris (the symmetry would have been delicious) and hoping someone would pick up the Sage-thing (what the heck was that?!).
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Let me ask a simple question. Why is this relationship healthy? I still have no idea Gambit's reasons for chasing Rogue when love was not enough for her. Self loathing Gambit still didnt confront Rogue but rather she found out via a memory. Every time she tried to apologize Gambit tried to stop her.

No one wants Rogue on her knees. Gambit still has zero backbone when it comes to Rogue. Rogue is not the problem. Gambit is. Rogue could have refused to apologize but said she wanted to be with him and Gambit would have said yes. So in the end, the apology was not for Gambit's sake but rather for Rogue to appease her own guilt. And that is why Romy doesnt work for me.

I literally wanted Rogue to slap the shit out of Gambit and tell him to stop making excuses for her, STFU and let her apologize. The dude is such a coward around her.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.

^^ This - you pretty much say what I think Remydat .... you sure you're not Xavier in disguise?

*chuckles* .... lack of response says something. I tease. I'm certain there must be something about it.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I had personally moved on to Gambit possibly courting Polaris (the symmetry would have been delicious) and hoping someone would pick up the Sage-thing (what the heck was that?!).
    Sage is everything wrong with Claremont after his original run on X-Men, that’s why no one has picked it up or even used Sage.

And I think Remydat raises some fine points. At the end of the day, I just want the fun and sexy Gambit back and he is not that character when he’s with Rogue. I want him to be the smooth-talking charmer, flirting with anyone and everyone, not being tied down to one person (now being tied to a bed is a different story).

But, there are reasons why this will probably never happen either due to the same reasons no one uses Starfox (of the Eternals and the brother of Thanos) which Andrew Wheeler talked about here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/988845144202924032

Should Romy be healthy to like it? Some like Romy and some not. Both opinions of different sides won't change with any arguments in the world.

So it is nothing really here to talk about.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 05-03-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Lastly, Kinberg opened up about the long in development Gambit film starring Channing Tatum which has lost three directors including Gore Verbinski who was previously set to direct but recently departed from the film’s production. Kinberg revealed that the studio is still meeting with directors for the fan-favorite mutant’s solo film, “We have a really great script for that, and we’ve met with a bunch of directors in the last couple of weeks.”

https://heroichollywood.com/dark-pho...eshoot-update/