Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batgirl" Creative Team Apologizes for Handling of Transgender Storyline in "Batgirl" #37

An apology was issued by "Batgirl" creative team after the negative portrayal of a transgendered character in the most recent issue, "Batgirl" #37.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

So exactly what is a trans character?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Wait do they have a problem with Dagger type being the Villain? or Batgirl saying you're a.

Somebody at a different forum said that Dagger Type was supposed to be a David Bowie type. Suddenly, it made sense.

Spectacular Member

I seriously did not consider Dagger Type to be a transgender character. He was a performance artist using identity theft as art and who reacted badly upon people not liking it. He even admits that he's just following the instructions of a patron to kill and replace the real Batgirl. Nowhere does he express any belief that he's really a woman, just that he's a genius for adopting this persona.

I just posted this in the comments section of the article that started this entire stink:

"That’s utterly ridiculous. Babs’ reaction at the revelation was one of shock, NOT revulsion as you are so desperately trying to imply. But I know, in this day & age, there will always be people who will go out of their way to be offended by something so they can make a huge stink about it on the ‘net and get some attention. If you had ANY familiarity with the creative team, you would KNOW they’ve always championed equality for all, and this issue was no different, so stop trying to twist a fact to suit your agenda, they’re only responsible for what they say, not for what you comprehend, and the fact that you choose to project an incorrect meaning on the page in question just speaks volumes of your character."

Acting severely offended in public sadly seems to be the quickest way to score your 15 minutes these days. Tools like that offend me, now where's MY 15 minutes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Wait do they have a problem with Dagger type being the Villain? or Batgirl saying you're a.
    No one said that. The problem is the portrayal.

Very cool that the creative team did a true apology, not the "sorry if you felt bad about it" that many do. They saw they comitted a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sicsexsix View Post
    I just posted this in the comments section of the article that started this entire stink:

"That’s utterly ridiculous. Babs’ reaction at the revelation was one of shock, NOT revulsion as you are so desperately trying to imply. But I know, in this day & age, there will always be people who will go out of their way to be offended by something so they can make a huge stink about it on the ‘net and get some attention. If you had ANY familiarity with the creative team, you would KNOW they’ve always championed equality for all, and this issue was no different, so stop trying to twist a fact to suit your agenda, they’re only responsible for what they say, not for what you comprehend, and the fact that you choose to project an incorrect meaning on the page in question just speaks volumes of your character."

Acting severely offended in public sadly seems to be the quickest way to score your 15 minutes these days. Tools like that offend me, now where's MY 15 minutes?
    people can commit mistakes, even the Batgirl creative team that is very open minded. I don't believe in any moment they had the intention to offend

Fantastic Member

Aaah does this mean we won't see dagger type again shame I like him

Quote Originally Posted by Stazz View Post
    I seriously did not consider Dagger Type to be a transgender character. He was a performance artist using identity theft as art and who reacted badly upon people not liking it. He even admits that he's just following the instructions of a patron to kill and replace the real Batgirl. Nowhere does he express any belief that he's really a woman, just that he's a genius for adopting this persona.
    Exactly, now I'm pretty pissed since I enjoy the story and the creators are getting a hard time for not doing anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    No one said that. The problem is the portrayal.

Very cool that the creative team did a true apology, not the "sorry if you felt bad about it" that many do. They saw they comitted a mistake.
    The portrayal of what? Dagger Type dressed as Batgirl because he was told to do so?

Astonishing Member

No but seriously they guy dressed up so that he could steal her fame not because of any issues with his gender identity and he literally said that out of his own mouth. Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand what you read. If it had been vague I could understand but it was explicit in it's intentions.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Dagger Type was not a Trans-Woman. He was just a fame seeker who co-opted what was famous/popular and wanted to replace the original.

Transgender = identifying with a gender other than what corresponds to your body.
    Crossdressing = dressing in clothing associated with the opposite sex. There are various reasons for this (sexual fetish, acting, cosplay, performance art, etc.)

Far as I can tell, DT was crossdressing and no indication was given that he's transgender. Do I have it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Agreed. I fall into the camp that they had nothing to apologize for, but once the controversy was created they had to respond, they did so in a great way.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

AdamCTierney

I don't understand. It seems like:

- There's a villain impersonating Bat Girl.
    - The villain is revealed to be a man.
    - Bat Girl is surprised at that revelation.

Is there more to the issue than that? I don't see any disgust on her part, and I don't see anything specifically tied to transgender. Unless there's something more offensive elsewhere in the issue, I think this is sorta ridiculous.