Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Goddamn it. I guess I got more books to read. Sounds like they'll end as disappointingly as the rest. Great world set up, but goddamn, Lukyanenko can't properly climax a story to save his life.

But yeah, you'd know better than I where they are at by series end.
    Last edited by Duskman; 12-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    Goddamn it. I guess I got more books to read. Sounds like they'll end as disappointingly as the rest. Great world set up, but goddamn, Lukyanenko can't properly climax a story to save his life.

But yeah, you'd know better than I where they are at by series end.
    There's a joke about climaxes to be made here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    There's a joke about climaxes to be made here.
    More like anti-climax. Or day I say, "ruined" climax.

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

E: Ack, wrong thread!
    Last edited by Dalak; 12-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Lukianenko is a Russian (ethnic Kazakh). And in Russian "climax" means... pre-menopause (a faux ami opposite meaning from the English language). That says something about his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte DeBel View Post
    Lukianenko is a Russian (ethnic Kazakh). And in Russian "climax" means... pre-menopause (a faux ami opposite meaning from the English language). That says something about his skills.
    Haha. The books just had a tendency to really piss me off with how he ended them. It's a brilliant world set up, some interesting characters, and he's very good at building suspense... and then every single time, he just drops the ball and flakes out with a very anti-climactic solution. Once in a while, it does actually work (I thought the ending to Twilight Watch was pretty clever), but most of the time, it sucks. It's not like I need every story to end with explosions and ass kicking or anything, but goddamn. Such red herrings.

But I suppose I'm invested enough, I'll have to see how the story continues, so I'll pick up the next couple books eventually.

Haha. The books just had a tendency to really piss me off with how he ended them. It's a brilliant world set up, some interesting characters, and he's very good at building suspense... and then every single time, he just drops the ball and flakes out with a very anti-climactic solution. Once in a while, it does actually work (I thought the ending to Twilight Watch was pretty clever), but most of the time, it sucks. It's not like I need every story to end with explosions and ass kicking or anything, but goddamn. Such red herrings.

But I suppose I'm invested enough, I'll have to see how the story continues, so I'll pick up the next couple books eventually.
    I loathed what he did to Edgar (actually my favorite character in the series, though having no access to books in English means I'm not drafting him anytime soon and Gorodetsky family is enough of addition to the store).

Mighty Member

Another idea for some other day...

Power of the Sinister Council (Crossgen: The First) 9-10. Grants no specific powers, but provides the user with a stupidly huge (think Herald range or whereabouts) amount of cosmic energy to play with, assuming that said user's head doesn't explode like a grape after absorbing this much power.

Spectacular Member

New Characters:

EVE (WALL-E) - 6
    Jack (Mass Effect) - 4
    Mother Russia (Kick-Ass) - 2
    Wrex (Mass Effect) - 4

Alright Oggy!! Nice to see you here!

Back to Business: If we're going to keep Metro Man DNA on the list (assuming it's not MFTL) it probably needs a page stating it's speed for league purposes so there's no more arguments caused by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Back to Business: If we're going to keep Metro Man DNA on the list (assuming it's not MFTL) it probably needs a page stating it's speed for league purposes so there's no more arguments caused by it.
    Bah. I'm feeding on the madness, don't ruin my buffet.

Arx Inosaan

Bringing up the whole issue of video game items. How many submitted really have feats to back them up? Action games are probably more solid in terms of mechanics equating to feats, but RPGs are always pretty nebulous. Wondering how many of the Final Fantasy abilities or the Mana Spirits are really worth picking.

Bringing up the whole issue of video game items. How many submitted really have feats to back them up? Action games are probably more solid in terms of mechanics equating to feats, but RPGs are always pretty nebulous. Wondering how many of the Final Fantasy abilities or the Mana Spirits are really worth picking.
    Game Mechanics are a tricky area, but usually are priced with that in mind. The Jobs are definitely worth it as an example, but then there's the risk of them/others being used as a No-Limits Fallacy. Immunity to acid is cool, but if it's the kind of acid that effects D&D style Gods and can strip them of their powers . . . that's another thing.

The thing to realize is that this is a Game too, and things that change the rules of their games do the same here. Put then you have to see how game mechanics interact, as a normal silver Dagger in D&D 3.5 counts as both Silver damage, and Piercing damage Damage Resistances need to check for those definitions to see if the damage bypasses it, and though the definition is different in Nocturne the argument is there that Piercing = Piercing. D&D Skeletons resist Piercing damage specifically, the Masakados is vulnerable to it. It all depends on how strict to the letter of the game mechanics you want to be.

I think a list needs to be made of any Draftee who's Source is uncertain. This is most especially true with many DC Characters, but also applies to characters who change dramatically during a run.

Also, I think we have a few too many Batmans.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.