Thread: G.I. Joe Comics

Default G.I. Joe Comics

So I'm thinking of reading some GI Joe comics. When I was a kid I had a couple random issues from Marvel. I just checked Wikipedia and man am I confused lol. Wasn't there a new series that came out a couple years ago that picked up where the old GI Joe series (marvel) left off? Or am I thinking of Transformers? Anyway...do you guys think the Marvel GI Joe series was the best out of all of them? I see Comixology has all 15 trades (155 issues) and I was thinking of going through them eventually. Opinions are welcome, thanks guys.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    So I'm thinking of reading some GI Joe comics. When I was a kid I had a couple random issues from Marvel. I just checked Wikipedia and man am I confused lol. Wasn't there a new. HEeries that came out a couple years ago that picked up where the old GI Joe series (marvel) left off? Or am I thinking of Transformers? Anyway...do you guys think the Marvel GI Joe series was the best out of all of them? I see Comixology has all 15 trades (155 issues) and I was thinking of going through them eventually. Opinions are welcome, thanks guys.
    Yeah there is a new series that picks up where Marvel left off. It is written by Larry Hama, the creator and original writer of the Marvel line. It is from IDW and titled G.I. Joe A Real America Hero (I am pretty sure).

I cant say that the Marvel series is the best of all of them. I dont think it has aged very well. Recently, I tried rereading from the beginning and I didnt get more than a few issues in before I just couldnt go on. I am going to give it another go at some point, but ill probably just skip around and read all the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow centric issues.

IDW has several newer series thst were really good. The Cobra series by Mike Costa is probably the most highly praised. I think all the stuff Chuck Dixon did was really good too.

Mighty Member

Yeah i was in the same boat as you a few months back lol. The new stuff can be confusing. I can't speak for the original series, but if you're interested in the current IDW series, the easiest way to get into those stories are through their complete collection hc's. They basically collect the 3 main series (GI JOE, COBRA, and Origins) along with any mini's in the proper reading order. There are currently 4 with one more due out in Jan. i think. This reincarnation of the JOE's basically starts fresh, new origins, etc. and is a lot more special ops/anti-terrorism stuff than straight up war stories. The cobra series is definitely the best of the bunch with the regular JOE series being pretty good for the most part. I don't care for the origins stuff at all though, and the artwork can be hit or miss. The cobra series is actually collected in its own hc (Cobra: the last laugh i believe), which i didn't find out about until later, if you want to check that out on its own. The only downside is the HC's are a little pricey, $50 for ~350 pages, but they are very well made.

I'd recommend the trades of the original series, I bought about the first 10 volumes before taking the rest of out of my local public library. I then double-dipped and started collecting the original series in the new hardcover set that IDW is reprinting, they're up to volume 6. This set contains all the issues, including those from different series, like Special Missions.

I haven't got there yet, since I never made it to volume 15, but Larry Hama picked up where he left off with the original series.

In terms of new stuff, and I'd probably even recommend this before getting into the old stuff, but either way, I recommend starting with The Last Laugh. After that they have these great books that collect large chunks from across all 3 of their ongoing series. I think the one after Last Laugh is Civil War Compendium, followed by Complete Cobra Command (though I may be forgetting a volume in there).

Incredible Member

It all depends on what you like or what era of G.I.Joe you grew up with, IMO the Marvel series is the foundation from where all the characters we grew up with are to be compared so I'll always go with Marvel's G.I.Joe.

Dark Horse had a 6 issue series in the 90's based on the G.I.Joe Extreme toyline

In the 2000's Image brought Joe back which was sort of OK.

Currently I was buying Larry Hama's continuation with the Joe series but I quickly sold those comics after not feeling that vibe I had as a kid and currently I'm confused with that continuity.