Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Abishai100 View Post
    You know, comic books have gained the dubious social stigma of being a sub-cult community catering to sentiments/needs of people anxious about ostracism, perhaps even more so than likened reclusion-comfort art-fantasy sub-culture groups such as the science-fiction inquisition Star Trek fan base.

However, I've enjoyed reading and collecting comic books ever since I was young, and while it can be argued that American comic book superhero avatars such as Aquaman (DC Comics) and Spider-Man (Marvel Comics) cater to social interest in catering to sentiments of 'armchair warrior' privacy, I know that specifically, the X-Men (Marvel Comics) empire deals focusedly with ideas about ostracism, handicap, disability, and bigotry.

Professor Xaver, the fictional leader of the mutant superhero X-Men, encourages humanity to treat people with mutations with respect and kindness. X-Men heroes and villains such as Cyclops (a hero with super-laser vision beams but dependency on eyesight protection) and Gorgeous George (a villain who can stretch his body like clay with great strength, representing human anxieties about body size, deformity, giantism, and dwarfism) capture our curiosity about using art to talk about peer pressure, body image, and genetic handicaps or deformities.

The writers of the X-Men empire possess the accreditation to be recognized as art diplomats of society's dialogue about real life handicaps and disabilities. The base they provide in theory helps comic book fans liberally reference politics-oriented esteem-themed superhero/supervillain avatars such as Poison Ivy (DC Comics), a radical eco-terrorist, in discussions about using art to talk about civics.

Thanks for that, Abishai! Appreciate the contribution.

Yeah, X-Men is a great franchise, I think, not only for being exciting, compelling and interesting, but also for how inclusive it is in the amount of diversity it encompasses.

There's Charles Xavier a lot of the time being wheelchair bound, or the various different religions, be they Catholic, I believe, for the Banshees, Catholic/Christian for Kurt, the Nightcrawler.

Banshees are Irish, Emma Frost is British. Colossus is Russian, while Nightcrawler is German.

All these different nationalities, genders, powers, sexualities, ages to a degree, and disability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Can make for some fairly cool stories though, or moves that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Buckys' arm maybe hitting Tony while off him, Cables' eye flashing yellow on a cover to X-Force.

Good stuff, therein.

And, sure, I don't know, I wouldn't really say there's an false, or disingenuous, or not real, disability. Like, in South Park. Jimmy asking Stan and the rest whether he thought they, people who gained disabilities through life, but weren't born with it, weren't really disabled, and, though Cartman was tempted, Stan, or the Jewish fella, agreed not to touch in with whatever length of pole, I think.

So, I think, whether hampered or not, whether these prostethics are SO good that they may as well be living the same life, isn't at all a bad thing, and something all the better in advancements to help people get back to a life they'd want.

A dangerous territory, to class one degree, or kind, of disabity, as that, I think.
    I guess it's each to their own; but I find "perfect disabilities" (i.e. the arm is actually BETTER than it was and looks 100% real) to be disingenuous. It's like having a bisexual character who only ever hits on the opposite gender; while that does happen, it's still hardly a good example of LGBT representation. Prof X, Venom, Daken, Jonh Walker; they are disabled and the comic doesn't hide that or give "quick fixes." Same with Hawkeye's deafness. I LOVE that they make a point in most issues that he's reading lips, rather than just never mentioning it and IF a fan asks the writer why he can hear, the writer says "oh, he's just reading lips". People with disabilities is a 24/7 thing, quick fix magic arms... I think is great as a metaphor for representation, but now-a-days it's not a "good" example of disability in comics (in my opinion). If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Abishai100 View Post
    You know, comic books have gained the dubious social stigma of being a sub-cult community catering to sentiments/needs of people anxious about ostracism, perhaps even more so than likened reclusion-comfort art-fantasy sub-culture groups such as the science-fiction inquisition Star Trek fan base.

However, I've enjoyed reading and collecting comic books ever since I was young, and while it can be argued that American comic book superhero avatars such as Aquaman (DC Comics) and Spider-Man (Marvel Comics) cater to social interest in catering to sentiments of 'armchair warrior' privacy, I know that specifically, the X-Men (Marvel Comics) empire deals focusedly with ideas about ostracism, handicap, disability, and bigotry.

Professor Xaver, the fictional leader of the mutant superhero X-Men, encourages humanity to treat people with mutations with respect and kindness. X-Men heroes and villains such as Cyclops (a hero with super-laser vision beams but dependency on eyesight protection) and Gorgeous George (a villain who can stretch his body like clay with great strength, representing human anxieties about body size, deformity, giantism, and dwarfism) capture our curiosity about using art to talk about peer pressure, body image, and genetic handicaps or deformities.

The writers of the X-Men empire possess the accreditation to be recognized as art diplomats of society's dialogue about real life handicaps and disabilities. The base they provide in theory helps comic book fans liberally reference politics-oriented esteem-themed superhero/supervillain avatars such as Poison Ivy (DC Comics), a radical eco-terrorist, in discussions about using art to talk about civics.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! The X-verse is always the most diverse area of Marvel.

[QUOTE=Crimson Knight;846681]There's Charles Xavier a lot of the time being wheelchair bound, or the various different religions, be they Catholic, I believe, for the Banshees, Catholic/Christian for Kurt, the Nightcrawler./QUOTE]
    Don't forget both Dust and M are Muslim.

[QUOTE=Kieran_Frost;848616]I guess it's each to their own; but I find "perfect disabilities" (i.e. the arm is actually BETTER than it was and looks 100% real) to be disingenuous. It's like having a bisexual character who only ever hits on the opposite gender; while that does happen, it's still hardly a good example of LGBT representation. Prof X, Venom, Daken, Jonh Walker; they are disabled and the comic doesn't hide that or give "quick fixes." Same with Hawkeye's deafness. I LOVE that they make a point in most issues that he's reading lips, rather than just never mentioning it and IF a fan asks the writer why he can hear, the writer says "oh, he's just reading lips". People with disabilities is a 24/7 thing, quick fix magic arms... I think is great as a metaphor for representation, but now-a-days it's not a "good" example of disability in comics (in my opinion). If that makes sense?

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! The X-verse is always the most diverse area of Marvel.

There's Charles Xavier a lot of the time being wheelchair bound, or the various different religions, be they Catholic, I believe, for the Banshees, Catholic/Christian for Kurt, the Nightcrawler./QUOTE]
    Don't forget both Dust and M are Muslim.
    Ah, didn't forget Dust, per say, but didn't mention her specifically because I couldn't remember what religion. And M?

Ah, still thinl what I think, but understand your point. Bit of both, sure, ah? Cyborg arm, no arm, an arm that doesn't go in the direction you want in, due to the brain. All valid, I think, but if all represented, and maybe well, be grand - even the cyborg arm, as that sort of thing is what allows some to walk, recently, as legs, if only a bit, and now.

The Irish Times has an article on their website, on how 'A disability needn't lessen the chance of studying at third level'.

Knowing from personal experience, having participated in a course on media, like watching films, summarising them, making a radio programme, tracking a toys' progress from then to The Late Late Toy Show airing...

I realize/realise these supports exist, but I suppose, sometimes, it's merely the sheer amount of people. Your own feelings of low self-esteem, or inadequacy. But, by that point, me personally, I had it in me, the ability to speak up, to ask for that bit of help I needed, away from the noise and chatter. Or, to use headphones when needed, to take 'em off when needed to.

I would've been overwhelmed before, not able to speak up, or all that noise, the uncertainty about whether in that classroom, it'd be okay or not. Part of what might've ultimately nailed the coffin for me in regards the course, with someone who just didn't suit me, along with my own feelings. But, I all the same, gave the thing a go, a month and a week, and tried, did well - and socialized from the get go.

I don't really miss it, but it's the closest I can relate, honestly.

And, I do agree. Disabled or not, should try and ask for help, should take chance, talk to the odd person of course, but not force yourself, per say.

Some people suit you, some don't. And, these supports need to available, and made exposed, and known about, so people, physically, socially, mentally disabled, or indeed a mix. Of course, some colleges have this scheme, or that, some don't.

And some don't have the lectures, or courses, that suit you, or that you're interested in. Even if they have the suppots, financial, or disability, or both, needed.

Here's the article in question:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/educa...evel-1.2059649

And, remember, this thread is not only for disability in media, like comic books, programmes, novels, or films, but also disability in life, celebrities, Government stuff, and country to country. And that's part of why this, and other reasons, this is relevant.

I've been watching American Horror Story: Freak Show; and Ryan Murphy really should be praised for using disabled actors consistently in his shows. This season has several actors who are actually disabled; giving them the chance at a really meaty role, not "one off special episode" like most shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I've been watching American Horror Story: Freak Show; and Ryan Murphy really should be praised for using disabled actors consistently in his shows. This season has several actors who are actually disabled; giving them the chance at a really meaty role, not "one off special episode" like most shows.

Out of interest, what do the persons pictures have, disability wise? I have a feeling with two, not sure on others.

Out of interest, what do the persons pictures have, disability wise? I have a feeling with two, not sure on others.
    So you have Mat Fraser ("Paul the Illustrated Seal") who was born with phocomelia of both arms; Jyoti Amge ("Ma Petite") was born with a growth anomaly called achondroplasia (which restricts her height; and according to the Guinness World Records is the smallest living woman); Rose Siggins ("Legless Suzi") has sacral agenesis. All three are in at-least 11 of the 13 episodes of the season (and considering Murphy loves to reuse his actors, they could appear in more series, depending on the characters). Lastly Jamie Brewer (who was Constance's daughter in Season 1 and Nan in Season 3) returns for a two-parter playing "Majorie" (the living puppet humanised in the mind of Neil Patrick Harris - VERY awesome episodes); she has down-syndrome.

So you have Mat Fraser ("Paul the Illustrated Seal") who was born with phocomelia of both arms; Jyoti Amge ("Ma Petite") was born with a growth anomaly called achondroplasia (which restricts her height; and according to the Guinness World Records is the smallest living woman); Rose Siggins ("Legless Suzi") has sacral agenesis. All three are in at-least 11 of the 13 episodes of the season (and considering Murphy loves to reuse his actors, they could appear in more series, depending on the characters). Lastly Jamie Brewer (who was Constance's daughter in Season 1 and Nan in Season 3) returns for a two-parter playing "Majorie" (the living puppet humanised in the mind of Neil Patrick Harris - VERY awesome episodes); she has down-syndrome.
    What is Phocomelia?

And, Sacral Agensis?

Which one of them is Jamie?

Thanks very much, appreciated.

What is Phocomelia?
    Manformation of the limbs (in his case both his arms)

And, Sacral Agensis?
    [from wiki] Caudal regression syndrome or sacral agenesis (or hypoplasia of the sacrum) is a congenital disorder in which there is abnormal fetal development of the lower spine—the caudal partition of the spine. It occurs at a rate of approximately one per 25,000 live births.
    Basically she's absent the lower half of her body (from waist down)

The bottom photo (in the red)

What is Phocomelia?
    Manformation of the limbs (in his case both his arms)

And, Sacral Agensis?
    [from wiki] Caudal regression syndrome or sacral agenesis (or hypoplasia of the sacrum) is a congenital disorder in which there is abnormal fetal development of the lower spine—the caudal partition of the spine. It occurs at a rate of approximately one per 25,000 live births.
    Basically she's absent the lower half of her body (from waist down)

The bottom photo (in the red)

Ah. Very informative, thank you.

You are a marvellous contributor to this thread.

Out of interest, are there any disabilities you'd like to be shown, or explored, more, through the actors, or crew, involved, playing, or the characters?

More on Dyspraxia, or Dyslexia?

Or, Dyscalculia?

Maybe, Down Syndrome, Tourettes', or Cerebral Palsy?

Out of interest, are there any disabilities you'd like to be shown, or explored, more, through the actors, or crew, involved, playing, or the characters?

More on Dyspraxia, or Dyslexia?

Or, Dyscalculia?

Maybe, Down Syndrome, Tourettes', or Cerebral Palsy?
    I don't think Dyslexia is a disability; or considered "good exploration" of disability in media. I think Ryan Murphy has shown pretty well that Downs Syndrome actors and actresses can work wonders with the right role. I do understand the "problem" though; actors of all minorities mostly don't want to be see as "just the minority actor", but someone who can do numerous roles. And I don't know an easy solution. I think far more actors in wheel-chairs, blind, or missing a limb should be seen on shows BUT cast... just because, NOT cast in "the disabled" role. Casting Directors just need to be more open to the idea of disabled actors playing a role that wasn't originally conceived to be done by someone who happens to be blind or happens to be in a wheelchair. If that makes sense?

http://www.medicinenet.com/dyslexia/article.htm

It very much is, though, and I'm not sure it isn't. I mean, if opening up to stuff like Down Syndrome, and a lot of the other stuff, like Phocemelia etc, is worth doing, I know that is too.

Just because you can't SEE the disability, doesn't mean it isn't there. You can't see Aspergers' syndrome, nor can you, if not for tics, Tourettes', and yet, they are there.

I mean, it's definitely worth exploring it all, no matter what disability, be it physical, a motor diability like Dypraxia, or a disability that impairs how you see, or hear, or even walk.

Worth exploring are all these, explored before, like Dyslexia, in Static Shock, Aspergers' in Parenthood, Arthur and much more, or any amount of disabilities in comic books, or television, AHS, or not.

I'm not discounting any others, but with children, teenagers, adults not being able to, at times, see words, letters, or numbers, in the right order, reversed, or the wrong way, it can greatly impair their everyday life, in school, work, at home, with a partner, family, or friend, it definitely is a disabiltity and for sure worth exploring, in any media.

I agree with a lot of the other stuff you said, though, that makes sense.

Very much, cast for the role, not due to being disabled, yes, though certain roles, like those of Dwarves, or vertically challenged, fit sometimes better with those born that way, or are that way, like Peter Dinklage, or Warwick Davies, and others.

Yeah, shouldn't be solely, or exclusively, due to the disability, but open mindedness, or quality, all that.

Dyscalculia is similar to Dyslexia, on difficulty with arithmetic, or numbers, in understanding.

Here's some more about it:

http://www.sess.ie/categories/specif...es/dyscalculia