Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Asperger guy here. i've actually met 2 people from undatables (the uk tv show.)

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    Asperger guy here. i've actually met 2 people from undatables (the uk tv show.)
    Good on you for coming out on that.

A very good thing to do, definitely, and I think you're right on to do it.

How were they, tombo? How'd you end up meeting them?

one was Justin, man with facial tumors, he gets on the train near my station and I got chatting to him. The other was the young chap with a mustache who likes heavy metal - he goes to my autism group sometimes, I forget his name.

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    one was Justin, man with facial tumors, he gets on the train near my station and I got chatting to him. The other was the young chap with a mustache who likes heavy metal - he goes to my autism group sometimes, I forget his name.
    Good for you, tombo.

Hope you liked meeting, and if you chatted to them, enjoyed that, too.

Nice stuff, I must say, meeting people one'd know from the television or elsewhere, and there they are, right next to you.

I don't know does anyone watch Coronation Street, long running, British soap from ITV.

But, it currently features at least four people who could be, in one case, is now, in two, and is always, in another, disabled.

One, is a woman, Carla Connors, who is on two crutches after a crash between a bus they were on, and a car, with these joy riders who stole it.

Aside from that, she's a woman a many a relationship, with men like black haired, facial and top, Liam, father of another womans' child.

Tony, a dark, plotting man, with a Scottish, or North of Ireland, accent, who brought the death of the above man, on the stag do of him.

Peter, an alcoholic, also a father and man of many relationships, marriage, important soap family.

And, runs a factory that makes womens' underwear and related items, called Underworld, employing multiple women and one man, who is gay.

One of the women, Izzy, is permanently, from birth, wheelchair bound, is a wife and mother, with prolific Corrie family.

More on her, and the two others, later.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Stan Lee drew a picture of Spider-Man for a boy with Autism.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/ny...rlem.html?_r=1

Jamel has autism, his early years like a movie about childhood, sometimes in slow motion, sometimes fast-forward, a hyper blur, but never the right speed, and always on mute. He did not speak until he was in preschool, when he began working with the Kennedy Child Study Center, which helps children with intellectual disabilities. He wandered away from parties, uncomfortable with the noise.

Jamel fell hard for Spider-Man. With his eighth birthday approaching in November, his mother thought he was finally ready for a party, and she decorated accordingly. There was more Spider-Man on the four walls and ceiling of that community room in the projects that day than inside three copies of Amazing Fantasy No. 15.

This reporter was among those in attendance, on assignment for an article about Jamel and The New York Times Neediest Cases Fund. Phyllis Atwood said her biggest complaint about the resulting article was that some of the people who read it had told her they felt pity for her. “I don’t like people feeling sorry for me,” she said.

A woman in California, Corky Hale, read the story. She is a veteran jazz musician, playing flute and harp and having performed with Billie Holiday, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand and Liberace, to name a few, and she is married to Mike Stoller, half of the songwriting duo Leiber and Stoller.

Most important to this story is her friendship with her neighbor, Mr. Lee. She approached him with a request.
    StanLee-spidey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Stan Lee drew a picture of Spider-Man for a boy with Autism.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/ny...rlem.html?_r=1

StanLee-spidey.jpg
    That's just beautiful.

Although, Neediest Cases is one part I'd rename with that fund.

Like the emotional mixture of Spider-Man, Autism, and heartfelt love from a mother,

Need more stories like that.

Thanks, Pretender.

American Horror Story's Meep actor Ben Woolf dies from car crash injuries
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...p5iUjiHR1btdhM

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

American Horror Story's Meep actor Ben Woolf dies from car crash injuries
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...p5iUjiHR1btdhM

May he Rest In Peace.

Here's a sample of an article on The Guardian, an English newspapers' website, on Clarissa in Silent Witness, and how good a portrayal of a disabled person it is:

Hurrah for Clarissa Mullery. If you’re not familiar with Silent Witness, Clarissa Mullery, played by Liz Carr, is a fantastic forensic scientist. She is clever, witty, insightful and very good at her job – oh yes, and she happens to be a wheelchair-user. Thankfully, Clarissa is no stereotype – she is a well-rounded, believable character, and crucially her disability doesn’t drive the narrative. It’s refreshing and it’s important.

Many disabled people feel misunderstood and misrepresented by the media. For diversity to be authentic it is important that the workforce, and particularly the decision-makers, are also drawn from diverse backgrounds.

Very interesting piece therein, and nice that, seemingly, she isn't a stereotype, and as said in the article 'happens to be in a wheelchair', perhaps being an important, positive piece of representation in of itself. That the wheelchair isn't who they are, and a defining part of them, but another part of them.

Find that nice and admirable.

Might be an article worth the read, so here's a link:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/med...bled-portrayal

An article from NPRs' website, on people with 'invisible disabilities' fighting for understanding.

Here's a few, fairly emotional, possibly triggering in regards emotional distress, suicidal ideation and other factors, paragraphs - very worth reading:

Some disabilities are more obvious than others. Many are immediately apparent, especially if someone relies on a wheelchair or cane. But others — known as "invisible" disabilities — are not. People who live with them face particular challenges in the workplace and in their communities.

Carly Medosch, 33, seems like any other young professional in the Washington, D.C. area — busy, with a light laugh and a quick smile. She doesn't look sick. But she has suffered from Crohn's disease, an inflammatory bowel condition, since she was 13. There have been times, she says, when she's "been laying on the floor in the bathroom, kind of thinking, 'Am I going to die? Should I jump out in front of traffic so that I can die?' Because you're just in so much pain."

More recently, she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a condition that leaves her in a state of full-body chronic pain and intense fatigue.

As you might see from reading that, there are indeed a variety, and further in the article, listed, as illnessess and disabilities that simply cannot be seen.

They're not in a wheelchair, or with facial hair, or protusions growing that might not otherwise be there.

They're not, from birth, incredibly short - and not caused by anthing pre-birth - but their pain, struggles and their condition matters.

It should be noticed, pain good attention to, considered and the person with, recognized, as a person, a human being and as having a disability.

No matter what it is.

So, without further ado, here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/08/391517...-understanding

Seeing as it's Saint Patricks' Day next Tuesday, the 17th of March, I was thinking it'd be good to post a few things here to do with both disability and Ireland, or the Irish.

Any stories, or experiences, any of you have had therein?

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    An article from NPRs' website, on people with 'invisible disabilities' fighting for understanding.

So, without further ado, here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/08/391517...-understanding
    This is very much true, although I do feel disabled parking spaces should be restricted to the physically handicapped. I'm sure you might disagree with me, but it's a case of wider bays and/or prioritization. What is the benefit of a disabled parking place say for someone with PTSD compared to using a regular one?
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    This is very much true, although I do feel disabled parking spaces should be restricted to the physically handicapped. I'm sure you might disagree with me, but it's a case of wider bays and/or prioritization. What is the benefit of a disabled parking place say for someone with PTSD compared to using a regular one?
    I do, to an extent, but a wider car park might come in handy for some Autistics, people with PTSD and so on. Have more air to breathe, less people in all that space, can move around more.

But, I do understand your point, yes.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Sorry if this was already shared. I think it's really neat. Robert seems like a nice man.

Robert Downey Jr. helps a 7-year-old fan born with a partially developed right arm get a new, 3D-printed bionic Iron Man arm.
    I make love, you make me sick.